Author Topic: Improvised broad heads  (Read 9954 times)

Offline man at arms

Improvised broad heads
« on: March 25, 2015, 09:03:36 pm »
Not sure if this is the right section. If not, please move it.

I saw these on EBay while going through various bow makers. They're $50/6 after shipping BTW. They appear to be sharpened arow shafts with exacto knife blades attached. I wouldn't buy such a thing, but the idea is interesting. Has anyone ever tried something like this? It would make for a relatively light arrow, and I don't know what the lack of a heavy, dense point would do to the flight characteristics of the arrow. It looks like a neat "mcgyver", in-a-pinch hunting arrow. Any thoughts? Any other improvised point ideas?

Offline sleek

Re: Improvised broad heads
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:56:19 pm »
Bone is every where and what I would use in a pinch. I have carved them out of hickory before with success. Pvc has been mentioned in the past. Sharpened spoons works well. Imagine being shot at with a fork on an arrow?! Yikes! Bamboo gets a sharp point, could make a hollow point of boo cut at a steep angle like a medical injection needle.  There are hollow small bones in that shape as well...  a hammered flat nail would do well also.  Locust tree thorns,  fire hardened sticks work well for making a hole. Antler could sub for bone if needed. Coins can be sharpened and flattened more to make substantial points also. 

Even in a pinch, you would be hard pressed not to be able to find good point material.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline man at arms

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:27:30 pm »
Our ancestors were in a pinch all the time. I've recently come across mention of points made of rawhide. There's a YouTube channel called "primitive pathways" where the guy knaps glass points.

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:45:12 pm »
I wouldn't use 'em- too light. weight helps penetration and is a big part of why an arrow flies well. Why do you say "our ancestors were in a pinch all the time"? I think many stone age people were well provisioned and had time-tested gear. They didn't have to improvise or use untested tools. They used what had worked in the past. It may have been wooden points, or whatever, but I don't think this means they were struggling to find what worked.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:45:57 pm »
Will you post pics of the points?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline man at arms

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 10:48:58 pm »
I say they were in a pinch because they had to use what materials they found.

Offline man at arms

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 10:50:08 pm »
Will you post pics of the points?

Which points?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:52:03 pm »
The broadheads made with Exacto blades.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline man at arms

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 10:53:56 pm »
That's the picture in my original post. It looks like he took a pencil sharpener to some bare shafts and glued some exacto knife blades to them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 10:57:30 pm »
I'd like to see a close up of the broadheads.

Offline man at arms

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 11:09:11 pm »

I'm sure they'd work, at least for one shot. The cutting diameter is a but small though.

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 11:24:23 pm »
By the Red Gods, that's exactly what he did: sharpened the shaft with a pencil sharpener and glued on craft knife blades.
Wow, I've never seen anything like that and especially never seen anyone try to sell something like that.
I guess you really can find anything on eBay!

Guy

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 11:34:41 pm »
Against deer I wouldnt try unless there were no other options. Now, in a bow war as anti personal, those would be grwat if the blades came out after penetration.  Fragmenting arrow heads. Wow im glad we have bullets. That would suck!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline man at arms

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 11:39:10 pm »
Same with the knapped glass points. I wouldn't hunt with them because of the risk of glass shards in the meat, but that'd be one nasty war arrow.

Grasshopper,  that same seller offers them without the blades as "target arrows".

Edit: I just noticed something else. They're fletched with duct tape. Again,  not a bad concept. I've made arrows from hardware store dowels with sheet metal broadheads and gorilla tape fletching. It works, but I'd never try to sell such a thing. Come to think of it, he might be using plain hardwood dowels for shafts. He sells them in packages with 80lb bows. That can get dangerous.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:49:39 pm by man at arms »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 11:49:17 pm »
I wouldn't shoot those at anything. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left