Author Topic: How do you pick the BOM?  (Read 43476 times)

Slivershooter

How do you pick the BOM?
« on: February 01, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »
With the number of entries for BOW of the Month increasing (this is a good thing) I have found it hard to compare all the bows without going back and forth numerous times to the bows, which takes a lot of time.  To make it a little easier I worked up a point system using an excel format that weights several different categories and automatically totals all the points.  This allows me to go through all the bows, assign points, then return and review three or four bows with the most points and determine my winner.  The one with the most points usually wins but not always, sometimes I might add bonus points in the overall Impression category for the bow that just impresses me for some unknown reason. 

How do you go about choosing the BOM winner?  What system if any do you use: objective, subjective, or combination of both types like me?

Below is a copy of my rating system (if the embedded excel file works) and an explanation of the category, points available, and how/why I rate the category.

Full Draw    25 points   I feel this is the most important category so it has the most available points.  Also, it is the easiest one to examine because they are all posted beneath the entry links.  If I rate the tiller at less then 20 points I rarely bother to research the other categories unless the bow impressed me earlier in the month. 

Braced    10 points   I would like to give more points to this category as it is the one seen the most often.  However, to excel in the full draw category, the braced view some times suffers.

Tips      20 points   For me, the tips on a bow show the craftsmanship and experience of the bowyer.  I don't necessarily look for overlays or certain styles/types of tips but rater if they flow smoothly, fit the style of bow, and the details shown: Often these pictures are out of focus and have cost people my vote.

Handle      15 points   Like the tips, the handle needs so flow smoothly into the limbs.  Being larger then the tips I find them easier then the tips to get right, therefore less points are available.

Accouterments   10 points    This encompasses a lot of things, including but not limited to handle wraps, drawings, snakeskin's, writing, inlays, ect….  But they must add to the look of the bow.  Sometimes I find myself deducting points rather then adding them here.

Glue Lines   + or -      This can be a deciding factor if two bows are tied and they both have glue lines that you can see in the pictures, but that rarely happens.  If one has glue lines and the other doesn't the bow get equal points unless I can tell the glue lines are bad, and then it gets a minus.

Overall Appearance   20 points   The overall look and feeling I get from the pictures.  This is purely subjective but its score is usually close to the same ratio received in the other categories.

The excel file lost its formatting when I tried posting, if you would like a copy send me a pm and I will forward it to you.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: How do you pick the BOM?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:20:47 pm »
OH MAN this again.  :'( We had a discussion on this several times, and people always get offended by others criteria. Feel free to answear and discuss, but lets try to keep it civil.  Don't tell anyone they are wrong or attack them for their meathod of picking since it is a personal choice and we all feel different.  I for one am staying out. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:35:15 pm »
I second Justin's comment :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 01:12:35 pm »
Me 3. ;D ;D Get out the pop corn. :D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 01:47:45 pm »
Heck this could be more entertaining than Super Bowl commerials  ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:09:52 pm »
...................Heck count me OUT like Justin  an Pappy an Dana ! I can hear the ticker on the bomb ! :o ;D......bob
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 03:17:59 pm by Kowechobe »

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 04:24:52 pm »
           Well, being a newbie and all that that entails,I'll speak up 'cause I don't any better yet.

When I look to vote on BOM bows, I try to pick a bow that was well designed,tillered and finished and all that that includes such things as tiller,braced design,full draw design glue lines,tips and overlays,grips,backings, overall aesthetics's of the bow plays a big part( if'n it ain't pretty, why look at it ),overall craftsmanship of the bowyer and experience level,not aways is the most experienced the best looking,designed or built.
However I mostly go by what tickles my fancy and what I think I would like try to achieve. some of the more experienced people on here don't always win,

Anyhow these are just my silly ways of voting,and it seems to work for me, ;) ;D

PEACE
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Slivershooter

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 09:54:48 pm »
Guess I should apologize, I was just looking for input and ideas that might help myself and others a make decision when voting for BOM.  I looked through all the titles in the BOM category and didn’t see any threads which appeared to relate to this subject.  If the topic opens a can of worms and causes problems, Yank IT.  However, I do think many of us might learn from others discussing the criteria they use, if done in a civil manner.  Once again, I didn’t realize this would be a “touchy” subject that had been discussed before.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 10:03:46 pm »
Slivershooter, this is usually discussed on a thread where voting for BOM occurs.  After the voting is complete the thread is replaced with a thread for the winning bow.  That is why you cannot find another thread. Sounds like you have a great system that works for you.  I will just say this, I wont look at a bow unless the tiller at full draw is great.  Now if I could just shoot them all we would be in business.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 10:24:05 pm »
But, but, aahh....nevermind ;) ;D :o ::)......Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 10:39:46 pm »
Last month there was a rather heated debate on this same topic and in the end it comes down to personal choice.
Whether you vote based on tiller, eye candy or popularity of the bowyer in the end its your vote. So vote as ya please
and make no apologies.

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 10:54:01 pm »
.....Dana yer such a politician ! OH WAIT yer a moderator ! ;D.......bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 10:57:46 pm »
Thanks bob, my mom always said I talked too much ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 11:25:53 pm »
My question is why doesn't Gordon have his own category???  ;D ;D

When I see his bows I feel like I've been building 'em blindfolded with a machete using only my left hand.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 01:11:13 pm »
Silvershooter, I feel that some people do vote for the wrong reasons, popularity of a bowyer for example. Some times I wish We couldn't see what the others have voted for untill the voting is over, makes me wonder if it would change the outcome any. Oh, well Like Dana said there are no rules so vote how you see fit.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....