Author Topic: How do you pick the BOM?  (Read 43865 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: How do you pick the BOM?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 01:18:07 pm »
Good point ryano makes me wonder also, Slivershooter one thing I do is mentally strip the bow down to
bare wood so I can visualize just the bow with no eye candy to distract me. While details and decoration are nice
I don't think they add any effectiveness to the bow as a hunting weapon nor performance enhancements.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 03:11:01 pm »
I look at full draw first of all, then the unbraced profile...then I consider the bowyer. Like Cody Snyder's bow...he got my vote because here is a teenager that put months into building his bow and it showed in the end. I'm sure Justin was along for the ride and contributed at least with technical support but in the end it was Cody's accomplishment. There were other bows that month...some technically better built bows also but I considered the bowyer. 8)
   All we can go by, over the internet, is what appears to us on a computer screen. We don't know if the bow blew after the last pic was taken. :o Also, if you notice, people like "glitter". Some folks vote for how cool the bow looks, which is fine. Appearance is important but if you were in a situation where you "needed" your bow for food or protection, that beautiful backing or the fur trim or the hand painted design on the back ain't worth squat!  I love to look at a beautifully crafted and appointed bow and that gets my vote sometimes but usually, until I push the vote button, I have no idea what bow I will be voting for.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 03:32:56 pm »
I look at full draw first of all, then the unbraced profile...then I consider the bowyer. Like Cody Snyder's bow...he got my vote because here is a teenager that put months into building his bow and it showed in the end.    Pat
Best part is Cody isn't even a teenager yet Pat. Kids can sure make you proud at times, right Pappy. Justin
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:24:15 pm by Justin Snyder »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 03:39:44 pm »
Even more of an accomplishment, Justin. 8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 04:22:39 pm »
Kids can make ya proud even if there not yours, Look at the young guns on here making awesome bows.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »
 8) Thats what it is all about IMO     Pat

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 12:38:51 am »
i personally down care who built the bow.  i always vote on difficulty of design and how well the bow is tillered.  now this does sometimes leave me in a quandry when comparing a recurve against a straight bow.  sometimes it's unfortunate, but i have soft spot for curvy bows.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 07:22:06 am »
no matter what you build your (always subjective, since 'objective' does not exist) decision, be it tiller, finish, detail, overall appearance, inspiration coming from eitherone of the points: we all have to make up our mind based on photos only!
so please!!! get the camera in focus and if it doesn't work on the first trial give it a hundred more chances! doesn't cost anything with your digi-cam! foul around with it, and sooner or later you'll have nicer pics!!
the quality of the bows don't seem to be the problem here at all: the quality of the pictures is not improving alike!

i don't know...is that off topic??  ??? ??? ???

frank

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 02:04:48 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008, 08:16:05 am »
I agree frank pictures should be in focus, and against a background that allows one to see the bow.
Pretty pics in the woods or what have you are nice but can confuse the picture making it hard to see the bow.
I know I need to get better with the camera.

Manistique, MI

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 01:25:15 pm »
dana, that was not meant to be a blame for anybody at all; it's just nice to have good pics of good bows to look at!
i like the mix of technical and artistic pics when a bow is presented!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:36:07 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 01:47:42 pm »
Frank, I like where your ideas have gone.  What we would like to see.  Good quality pictures, in focus.  A side picture of unbraced, braced and full draw without canting the bow so we can see what the tiller really looks like.  Also if you put a lot of work into the handle or tips or paint/decorations, a good quality picture of them so we can tell the quality of the work.  You worked hard on your new bow, so show it in its best light.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 02:18:34 pm »
agreeing with dana i deleted my post, too, since what i wrote seemed to be misunderstandable!

frank
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 05:06:27 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 02:43:50 pm »
Sorry folks, I felt it best to delete my response.

Dana
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 04:59:42 pm by DanaM »

Manistique, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2008, 04:16:12 pm »
Dana, I feel compelled to come to Frank's defense as I think you may have misunderstood his comment. Mechslashers recurve is indeed a fine bow. In fact it would have captured my vote had it not been for M-P's impressive interpretation of a native American style. What I believe Frank was trying to say is that it is difficult to fully appreciate the excellent work that went into Mechslasher's recurves because the photo was so poor. The picture did not diminish Mechslasher's bow for me because I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to pull off such a design and there was enough evidence in the picture to satisfy me that he did a good job of it. But the picture did leave me wanting - such fine craftsmanship deserves a better showing.
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008, 04:20:16 pm »

thanks gordon!
Frank from Germany...