Author Topic: How do you pick the BOM?  (Read 43758 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: How do you pick the BOM?
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2008, 09:43:52 am »
It definitely has made for interesting reading. :)  I'm just an easy going southern boy that don't really like to rock the boat, and definitely do not like arguing.  :)  I really enjoy making selfbows and have only made three now with inlayed tips. This site reveals a lot of different types of bows and techniques and I enjoy learning and trying new things. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over a competition although I like winning as well as the next guy. Plenty of stress for me at work without bringing it into my hobby! ;)

As for the question of voting technique...we're all individuals and will vote as such. If the BOM ever got to where it was more of a headache for me then enjoyable, I would quit competing...simple as that.

To put my 2 cents worth in...I do think good quality clear pictures allow everyone to better view and critique a bow. If you're going to compete...why wouldn't you want as good a picture quality to show your bow to its best potential? ???

Peace! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

jamie

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2008, 10:23:03 am »
constructive disagreement is what makes us go to the next level. . i love a good argument >:Dkeep it up but keep it as respectful as you have been. peace

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2008, 10:57:31 am »
As your level of skill goes up so does your understanding and appreciation for the difficulty in execution of difficult designs or methods. Jamie's stone bows are such and so are many other bows. I've voted for many snake bows and recurves because I know from experience how difficult they are to make. I hardly ever vote for a D bow because they are easy to make, also why I don't post the ones I make. There are always exceptions to every rule though. A good finish is also very hard to accomplish :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2008, 02:07:46 pm »
My extremely complicated system is to vote for the bow I like the best that month.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Badger

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2008, 02:21:57 pm »
Hillbilly, I think thats what it really is about, if you like it best vote for it. You can have any reasons you want. I will admit that I hold certain guys to higher standards which sometimes isn't fair I think, but I do it anyway LOL. Steve

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2008, 02:27:46 pm »
As your level of skill goes up so does your understanding and appreciation for the difficulty in execution of difficult designs or methods.

well spoken marc! 
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »
My extremely complicated system is to vote for the bow I like the best that month.  ;D
What a coincidence, that is exactly what I do.  ;D

So how do we get more people to vote?  Don already sends out emails to remind.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2008, 02:47:23 pm »
So how do we get more people to vote?  Don already sends out emails to remind.  Justin

Let's just treat it like politics, and everyone competing in BOM make a bunch of promise's they don't plan to keep. That way whoever bribes the most folks to vote for them wins, and we don't even have to worry about getting into these "discussions" on who made the best bow.  ;D ;D ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

CastIron

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2008, 05:58:15 pm »
So how do we get more people to vote?  Don already sends out emails to remind.  Justin

Let's just treat it like politics, and everyone competing in BOM make a bunch of promise's they don't plan to keep. That way whoever bribes the most folks to vote for them wins, and we don't even have to worry about getting into these "discussions" on who made the best bow.  ;D ;D ;D

Ya Pappy has told me that if Greg votes wrong don't feed him  >:D I think it has worked so far he ain't got no skinner  ;D ;D ;D

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2008, 05:09:06 pm »
I look at all of the entries and pick a couple I like. Then I look at more pictures of them and pick the one I'd most like to own.

I don't have anything objective in it.
:D
Doug from Missouri

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2008, 05:10:01 pm »

Hey! That's my system.
Doug from Missouri

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2008, 02:00:35 pm »
Guess I should apologize, I was just looking for input and ideas that might help myself and others a make decision when voting for BOM.  I looked through all the titles in the BOM category and didn’t see any threads which appeared to relate to this subject.  If the topic opens a can of worms and causes problems, Yank IT.  However, I do think many of us might learn from others discussing the criteria they use, if done in a civil manner.  Once again, I didn’t realize this would be a “touchy” subject that had been discussed before.

Don't apologize to anyone. Your system is well thought out and works for you. This forum is for interchange and sharing ideas and ultimately fine bows. Keep on coming back to this site and don't forget to vote.  Thanks for the input. - OldBow
When you're retired, every day is Saturday