Author Topic: Sinew backed osage with copperhead skins  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Floridabowyer

Sinew backed osage with copperhead skins
« on: April 17, 2015, 11:18:14 am »
This is a short (48 inch) sinew backed osage bow i built about a year ago and was bow #4 for me and my first experience with sinew. It has two courses of whitetail leg sinew on it and as you can see from the unstrung photo I didnt put enough reflex in it prior to sinewing. It is a very nice shooting bow though as I'm a lefty shooter and the string tracks the right side of the handle. The arrows come out of it straight and they seem to go where I'm looking. Kinda unusual for me!

The bow is 47 inches nock to nock, 1 1/8 inches wide at handle tapering to 5/8 tips. Tillered to 24 inches where it pulls 38 lbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinew backed osage with copperhead skins
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 11:25:48 am »
She looks good from what I can see. I bet its hard to shoot upside down like that though.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 11:45:50 am »
She looks good from what I can see. I bet its hard to shoot upside down like that though.  ;D

Haa! ;D
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 11:59:32 am »
Pat B,
First bow I built I assumed since I was right handed I must be right eye dominant. Then one day a fellow was watching me shoot and after laughing at my groups suggested I check to see which eye was dominant and it turned out to be the left. Since I built the bow with a shelf on the left side I gave it to a friend and started a new one! I've been trying to learn to shoot well ever since!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 12:02:31 pm »
It looks slick best I can tell. Id like to see bigger more clear pics.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 12:13:42 pm »
If you shoot instinctively and with both eyes open eye dominance shouldn't make a difference.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 12:27:40 pm »
Pat B
I'm certain you are right but I seem to shoot better left handed so I may as well keep at what I have been doing. Sorta feels strange shooting right handed now.

owlbait

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 12:31:03 pm »
Besides, you can't give the target the ol' stinkeye with both eyes open! Top picture looked like a Teeter Inversion out take, eh? Nice work though, this is about bowyer skills, not photography :)

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 12:58:28 pm »
Pearl
Im gonna try to get ya some better pics.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 01:08:45 pm »
Pat B,
First bow I built I assumed since I was right handed I must be right eye dominant. Then one day a fellow was watching me shoot and after laughing at my groups suggested I check to see which eye was dominant and it turned out to be the left. Since I built the bow with a shelf on the left side I gave it to a friend and started a new one! I've been trying to learn to shoot well ever since!
I'm left eye dominant but shoot with my right hand. I wonder if my accuracy would increase if I shot left. It just seems akward to me.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 01:11:43 pm »

If you are a hunter it's not a bad idea to be able to shoot with either hand

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 01:16:01 pm »
I see what you are talking about Pat B, especially awkward tree stand shots.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 01:20:21 pm »
That's a good point pat. All my hunting up till now has been rifles or pistols but I can't wait to take my first archery kill. Something just seems so much more satisfying to take a deer with a bow and arrow u made with your hands. Bring me back to my Indian roots.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 01:21:14 pm »
Florida bowyer  where in Florida are you? I'm near the Tampa area.

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 01:23:54 pm »
More pics. Sorry Pearl but with my limited photography equipment (cellphone) this is the best I can do for now! I will invest in a digital cam for future shots.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:28:28 pm by Floridabowyer »