Author Topic: Tradepoint size  (Read 5244 times)

PK

Tradepoint size
« on: February 03, 2008, 03:51:08 am »
I'm having Sometimers and can't figure out what size to make tradepoints that would be a match for an arrow spined at 50 to 60 # Arrow
I just got 3/64 " bandsaw blade material from this Bowyer friend and I have a couple pieces of 1/16 " .I want to send The Bowyer friend an arrow that has a 1/16" thick trade point.I dont want to make it to big or to small.
Please help i just spent 3 hours shredding Sinew and I got only one blister. ???

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: Tradepoint size
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:02:02 am »
PK Howard Hill believed in the 3 to 1 ratio, so if its 3" long then it has to be 1" wide.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:57:45 am »
No "official size" for trade points. As for length/width ratios, you've got the 2:1 camp and the 3:1 camp. I like to split the differnce and make 'em about 2 1/2" x 1". NC requires broadheads to be at least 7/8" wide, so an inch gives you several sharpenings worth of breathing room.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 12:01:35 pm »
Thanks PK is was just about to post the same question but then i saw this.  You saved me typing ;)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 02:59:15 pm »
It doesn't matter- as long as it is, like Hillbilly said, legal. Getting the "ferrule" (usually the wood) as close to the tip as you can seems to improve the funciton. Something about an inch so away- and no more than two. I made my last ones 1 1/4" wide by 2 1/2" long, but that was to get the most point out of the piece of metal I was using. Thicker the metal fartehr away from the tip you can be.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 03:05:46 pm »
I prefer trades not as long as 3/1. If a trade is too long and doesn't have the support and it will bend or break off when it hits something hard or at an off angle. If legal, I prefer to have thin side notches for tying the point on, to support the outer end of the point. Small holes drilled next to the shaft taper will help to support the tip by lacing your sinew(or whatever) you use to wrap behind the point. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

PK

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 05:14:59 pm »
Nicely put folks, It's been raining like to much,so I get to play with my Hobby, a great hobby indeed.Got enough Bowyer supplies to last the winter now.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 11:18:39 am »
It would really be nice for some to post a picture of their tradpoints so some of us could get a better idea of what to make.  Come on, post those pictures now.........

PK

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 02:04:33 pm »
It would really be nice for some to post a picture of their tradpoints so some of us could get a better idea of what to make.  Come on, post those pictures now.........
I myself will post some when I get mine done may be a while,
there are other threads in there that show trade :)points.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 07:27:36 pm »
Here are some of the ones that I have on my current hunting arrows. Not sure they can be considered "trade" points, as I riveted them straight to the shaft.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 08:57:30 am »
Here are some of mine 160 grain 50,/1000 thick.Made of bandsaw blade.
    Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

PK

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 03:09:30 pm »
50/1000, sounds not to thick not to thin, band saw  has just the right tempre also,Nice heads.PK just remembered what I was goin to ask about those, Do ya re-tempre em after cutting?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 03:26:07 pm »
I don't PK.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 09:05:08 am »
I don't either.These weight 160 grain.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

PK

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 08:35:54 pm »
 :)