Author Topic: Crow feather fletchings?  (Read 12175 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Crow feather fletchings?
« on: May 07, 2015, 11:17:36 pm »
Anyone had success with them. I'm worried they're not heavy enough. In the first week of July, I can grab a few hundred wings if I want. Didn't know if it was worth the effort.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline son of massey

Re: Crow feather fletchings?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 12:48:45 am »
I have used what I thought was crow and they worked. From what I recall they were a good deal less stiff than, say, goose feathers and so could get folded down pretty easily so they need a little more care to stay pretty, so they are certainly not in my top set of choices. But if it is a look you are going for, or if you are that feather rich, give it a try and see what you think.
SOM

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 09:25:51 am »
Where can you grab hundreds of wings?  I would be interested to trade for a couple three dozen or so, depending.   Not as durable as others,  but if cut low and long, they mKe a nice fletch, imo.  Russ. 

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:57:22 am »
Anyone had success with them. I'm worried they're not heavy enough. In the first week of July, I can grab a few hundred wings if I want. Didn't know if it was worth the effort.

Are you a killer of crows?  Mmmm, I think that might be a sin. >:D
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 12:26:37 pm »
I've heard of a murder of crows...that is what a group of them is called.  ;)
 You can do a tangential fletch using smaller feathers. works well.

the one on the right is done that way...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 05:37:46 pm »
My state has a annual crow hunting competition. I was state champ partnered with my father in 1995. I have since retired from killing crows. It turns out that is one of my totem animals and I have no business killing them. I also quit killing for sport around the same time. All of the crows killed in the one day event are bulldozed into a big hole at the end of the day. I try to find as many people as I can that want wings, tails or whole birds before they bury them. I don't participate in the event anymore and it's quite a sad waste of an extremely intelligent creature. The intelligence makes the hunting challenging, but I only kill for food, fur and leather at this point. I still enjoy calling them in but I prefer to watch them fly away after.

I'll post on the trade board after the event if I end up with an excess, which is likely. 
~Terrance McKenna

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 06:12:55 pm »
Dakota Kid,
I really admire your attitude!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 12:59:10 am »
Thank you. I usually hear the opposite :laugh:.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 09:39:07 am »
Dakota Kid,
I really admire your attitude!

X2

Offline RLimerick

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 12:32:06 pm »
I have used crow wing feathers before with good success.  Not as good as turkey or goose but makes an interesting fletch.

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 11:56:58 pm »
At least crows are good for something , last year there were a couple in the hood so I opened the patio door and kept shooting off the cap gun  >:D  after 3-4 days of that they finally got the hint and left it was hilarious.  :) >:D ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 11:09:47 pm »
I really recommend watching the PBS Nature episode A Murder of Crows. I think it's free to stream on the website(PBS). They have the ability to pass on descriptions of potential threats to their offspring using a basic "language". A professor of ornithology created a fairly elaborate experiment to determine this. They are just beginning to study this. The "language" differs from region to region and even from family group to family group. A murder of crows are typically all related.

The also tested higher than any primate(human's excluded) in puzzle solving. They were able to solve a puzzle to obtain a "tool" that allowed them to reach a different "tool" that was needed to reach the food. So far only larger brained birds are the only animals that have the ability to see more than two moves ahead.

The whole show was full of amazing examples of how clever they are.     
~Terrance McKenna

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 12:24:41 am »
Crow primaries are usually large enough to work.  You can fletch 3 arrows with a pair of wings.  We can't use crows here (TX) but not all states protect crows in the same way.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 04:08:43 pm »
Crow primaries are usually large enough to work.  You can fletch 3 arrows with a pair of wings.  We can't use crows here (TX) but not all states protect crows in the same way.

Why does Texas protest Crows, heck in BC years ago they would give you .50 cents for every wing from a crow. Just like wolves they slaughtered them by the thousands years ago.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 04:29:57 pm »
Sarah Mclachlan had a commercial about wolves, that's why they stopped.