Author Topic: more bloody kindling  (Read 5397 times)

Offline jayman448

more bloody kindling
« on: May 20, 2015, 10:31:39 pm »
66 inch ash board with zero knots and straight as an arrow. tillering out perfect using the gizmo for the first time. refusing to pull past 50 lbs. finally get her to full draw. those gall darnd chrysels form on the upper limb! real shallow (takes em out with one scraper pass) but they are there. what the flim flam!!!!!!! maybe she will survive @40 lbs... i hope

Offline jayman448

Re: more bloody kindling
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 11:03:52 pm »
Aaaaaaaand now it popped a splinter in the back. Time to feed her to the fire pit. I dont even know what went wrong xD. O well

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 11:14:43 pm »
How about some pics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jayman448

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:19:35 pm »
Ill post some later tonight. It was on an edgegrained stave. I may have layed it out too narrow

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 04:19:34 am »
I'd advise against using the gizmo with ash.  The gizmo works by holding the bow at a draw length for long enough to run the gizmo along the limbs, checking for problem areas.  Ash hates being held at full draw, even more so when there are problem areas.  It's one of those woods that needs to be handled with patience and care - draw the bow with a pulley so that you can watch it moving, let it back instantly and work on the areas that you saw weren't right. 

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 04:49:08 am »
When you aren't sure where you went wrong you need to learn how to read what the wood has told you along the way.
Before you bend the stave trace the backs profile on your tillering board, a wall etc, this will give you a definite reference, without it you may not see the subtle changes in it's shape as tillering progresses.
So as you bend the stave further and further at some point set will show up. What you need to bear in mind as this happens is the 'set mantra' (TTB's) no set inner limbs, a little mid limb and the rest in the outer limbs.
If you get any set that isn't conforming to this 'rule' then that area is weak. If you get set in one limb and not the other then it is weak. Your bow will have shown more set in the limb that chrysaled BEFORE it actually chrysaled - this would have been your warning to weaken the other limb appropriately. Without the reference of the original profile drawn on a wall then it can be very hard to spot these subtle speakings of the wood. Once you've got your eye in it's quite easy to make perfectly tillered bows just by watching the set. A while ago me and a few mates were camping for a while so I made a bow by this method and didn't watch it bend once I just watched the set very closely. It shoots great, zero shock, fast and (so far!!) the set hasn't increased or changed at all.

Also ash is very tension strong and imo pretty much needs to have its back trapped to take load of the belly. If your board raised a splinter (and wasn't weak in that area) chances are your board wasn't straight grained enough. Edge grain (1/4 sawn) boards are surprisingly difficult to read and even a hint of waviness indicate a  pretty severe grain violation.

Offline autologus

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 08:50:07 am »
I have had good luck with heat tempering the belly of ash, like Mike said it is very tension strong and needs trapping or a toasted belly or better yet both.  These "tricks" will greatly reduce frets and set in ash.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 02:28:53 pm »
Wills. I was onky using the gizmo at barely past brace height and then eyeing it up beyond that

Offline jayman448

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 02:36:29 pm »
Mike. Sounds legit.... ill have to re read that all a few times before it sinks in i think.. im on my last puece of wood now. A big birch stave... its reflexed in one limb tip and slightly bends in on the other. (Createing a very slight S). I figure ill reflex the other limb with steam. Hope this one works... im oooouuuutttt of wood. Lol

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 02:56:43 pm »
        In addition to what was said above I have found ash to be the most inconsistent of all bow woods within it own species. I have had great luck with ash and great looking bows chrysal. I seldom foll with it anymore except as a backing.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 03:35:52 pm »
Out of 6 or 7  ash bows, the only one that did not chrysal, I made from a board.
I have not touched the stuff for about  10-15 years.

Not a fan if it.  Weak in compression and strong in tension. Not a good combo.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jayman448

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 08:16:27 pm »
so here are the pics, the largest chrysel is as result of the splinter popping on the back. to the furnace she goes !

Offline bow101

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 12:13:01 am »
You were pulling beyond your draw weight.   Gotta be careful when I started out I was pulling the Hercules out of them  I broke a few like that I'm lucky the broken limb did not hit my face.  The break was extremely violent. .  :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline jayman448

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 12:43:17 am »
guess i ought to buy a proper scale. i figured i was pulling 50 the whole way through

Offline WillS

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 04:55:50 am »
Are you sure that's ash...?