Author Topic: Elm Hall elm bow build off interest?  (Read 14531 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Elm Hall elm bow build off interest?
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2015, 09:25:44 pm »
I was thinking the same thing Greg, maybe just put all the jr cards in a drawing that's what we do at black powder rendezvous
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2015, 07:43:03 am »
No way I can attend but I would love to help.

Jon maybe we can find a stave to send your way, then you can just send it back whenever your done.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2015, 12:19:29 pm »
Would be good if we did a few kids sized bows also to add to the raffle, always nice to see a kid walk away with a prize. If I can get a sapling big enough for 2 bows I'll be sure and do one in a youngsters size and
one in a big hairy man size.

I thought they were all kids bows cause "I don't want to grow up"   :laugh: :laugh:
and like my niece says " uncle Guy when you going to another 4H for adults weekend"
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2015, 09:03:55 am »
Greg,   making up some kid size bows sound like a great idea .   Getting the kids involved in the raffle  should definitely help generate more revenue for the club ,  and  get the little ones more interested in archery .

Chris,  I also had  a thought about having too many bows in the auction.

My wife is on the committee for the Heart Ball here in Tennessee.   They raise money for the Heart Association, and for their raffle they have asked me to build a bow, which I plan to do.  I told them about the great bowyers in this group, "You guys" , who build some true  works of art.

I could ask them if they would like two or three bows from this group to be auctioned off at the 2016 event his coming February.  The proceeds could be split 50-50 between the two organizations.

The heart ball attracts some highrollers  from middle Tennessee ,  so the bidding could be high.  This is just a thought, but let me know what you think, and I could ask the questions on this end.
Ed
When I stop learning please put me in a box!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2015, 09:46:16 am »
I don't think we can have too many bows. Yes it may pull in less per bow, but really the ultimate goal is to introduce primitive archery to a lot of lucky people. Maybe just maybe those same winners grab a stave and rasp and hang out under the tent in 2016 with us ya-hoo's!

If we have say, 15-18 bows. I see no reason we cant make 10 draw 28" and the rest can be split amongst ladies and kids. Im sure we'll talk it over as a group next weekend.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2015, 08:22:44 am »
Lots of nice elm was cut this weekend. Im hoping to see at least a dozen bows on the raffle table next year guys. My bark peeled like a banana,but a few others didnt...sorry to those whose didnt peel off...that stinks...or maybe yins whose didnt peel need to learn how to choose a better candidate...lol  :laugh:

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2015, 08:37:27 am »
Mine got home to TN, I will see what I can do with it in a few weeks, thanks Matt for taking up my slack. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2015, 08:49:13 am »
Got lucky and picked an easy to peel one myself, should be two bows in it if I do my part. A big thank you to the club for allowing us to cut timber there. I've never seen so many elm trees to pick from in one location before. A lot of excitement generated when you turn a bunch of bowyers loose to cut wood. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2015, 08:52:39 am »
I want to thank the club also for letting us cut. Blackhawk and I shared a tree and I grabbed an inch and a quarter sapling shoot off the top of it. I'd like to show up with 1 adult and 1 kids bow out of what I got for the raffle table

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2015, 09:52:21 am »
Got my Elm staves, also.  Liked to kick my butt, hauling them outta the woods.  It's a cool thing though, cutting your own bow wood.  Adds an element of Mojo to the bow.  Looking forward to seeing what turns out of them all! 

Pappy, No problem.   ;)
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2015, 10:03:04 am »
Would be kewl to have posting that documents progress on all those saplings. With lil luck, will be there next year to participate in the bidding.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

blackhawk

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 11:11:49 am »
Would be kewl to have posting that documents progress on all those saplings. With lil luck, will be there next year to participate in the bidding.

Good idea mike...ill post the progress on mine after each worked session....wood be neat if we all did...ill just post it to this thread n keep it going. Or maybe start a new thread and put it in the bows forum so more folks see it,and generate more interest for the raffle. What say yins guys?

Offline bubby

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2015, 11:26:36 am »
Thats a great idea Blackhawk, once it gets rolling maybe sticky it up top to keep it on the first page
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2015, 10:07:03 pm »
Or maybe start a new thread and put it in the bows forum so more folks see it,and generate more interest for the raffle. What say yins guys?

That's what I was thinking, kind of like the trade bow thread(s).

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2015, 10:21:56 pm »
Also (sorry for the double post....),

I'm pretty sure it will be a raffle style. Buckets by each bow. Folks buy "x" amount of tickets and place them in whatever bucket(s) they chose. What I like second to the money raised is the fact a lot people who don't build/own self bows will have a chance at many high class self bows. That's special all by itself.

I think this sounds like the best idea. Just makes the most sense. I guess a silent auction type deal wouldn't be a bad idea either.