Author Topic: Chainsaw repair - FIXED  (Read 16421 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Chainsaw repair help
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2015, 05:00:50 pm »
I got the Stihl Farm Boss running today on my lunch break.  The throttle linkage wasn't connected.  I snapped it back into place and put some gas and oil in it.  It only took a few pulls to get it running.  It runs great but when you left off the gas it idles down and dies.  I think the carb needs tuned a little bit.  I did a quick test cut with it.  The chain needs to be sharpened.  I'm going to see what the little stihl will do later this evening. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2015, 05:56:17 pm »
I'm 2 for 2.  I got the small stihl running.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 07:42:43 pm »
I traded for an Oregon commercial chain saw sharpener, once I figured out how to use it I was really impressed with the results. My chains are now almost as sharp as a new store bought one now. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2015, 12:10:13 pm »
My Dad bought a chain sharpener from Harbor Tool a couple of years ago.  It seems cheap and flimsy but it works.  I've been sharpening all of my blades with it. 

My little homelite is still broke.  The repair guy said its something wrong with the carb.  He can't find the problem but its flooding out.  He is going to try and find a replacement carb from his stash of parts saws.  If he can't I'll try to find one online.  I took that old blue homelite to him this morning.  He looked it over and then put some gas in it.  It started right up and ran perfectly.  Its loud and mean sounding.  He said its the best saw out of the 3 I bought even though its probably over 40 years old.  I'll get a picture of it in action later today. 

vtbow

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2015, 01:10:08 pm »
He said its the best saw out of the 3 I bought even though its probably over 40 years old.

I agree with him...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2015, 10:03:32 pm »
Here is a short video of Ol' Blue running.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2015, 01:26:27 pm »
The chainsaw fix it guy couldn't get my saw running.  He said it needed a new carb and he didn't have one.  He told me the compression felt week and it didn't have much life left in it.  I was determined to get it running so I bought a saw just like it on craigslist for parts.  The saw was only $20.  They said it would start and run but the chain brake was stuck on.  I glanced at the carb and it looked like the one I needed.  When I got it home and took it apart I realized it wasn't the right one.  It was a 45cc and my saw was a 33 cc.  I started tearing the parts saw down to see what was wrong with it.  It didn't take me long to figure out the problem.

They had put the wrong type of chain on it and destroyed the sprocket.  I got the saw started and it ran great.  It had probably double the compression of my old one.  I decided to retire my little saw and fix up the parts saw.  I took the sprocket, bar, and chain off of my saw and put it on the other one.  Now I have a 45cc saw with a 14" bar.  I have really enjoyed working on all of these saws and I have learned a lot.  Thanks for all the advice and help.

My original saw will now be a wall hanger in my garage.  Its on the left.  The $20 parts saw that runs great is on the right. 

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Chainsaw repair - FIXED
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2015, 01:38:08 pm »
Great !!!! $20 saw......
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubby

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2015, 12:01:50 am »
Congrats man
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2015, 02:23:15 am »
perseverance always pays dividends.  Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2015, 02:55:48 am »
Dude you love them saws :laugh:
That little blue is way cool looking.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2015, 09:01:37 am »
Thanks guys.  I wish I could have gotten my original saw running.  Its lived a hard life and has cut way more wood than it was ever designed to.  It was a great saw right up until the end. 

I'm going to give them a test run on a dead tree in my Dad's yard today.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2015, 09:40:19 am »
Looks like your set! You'll like those orange and white saws ;) the old home lite looks really cool

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956