Author Topic: Is anyone hunting this year?  (Read 8381 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is anyone hunting this year?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 12:43:04 pm »
Andrea is right. Compare the physical weight of both arrows.
 Generally for a hunting arrow you will want 10 grains per pound of draw weight. This is a general rule of thumb but nothing in this sport is cut in stone. I prefer hunting arrows on the heavy side(10 to 12 gpp) and learn the trajectory of those arrows through practice. A 150fps, 500 grain arrow is deadly to most North American game animal, if not to all. Putting the arrow through the boiler room is up to you. Without you, no weapon is effective.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2015, 01:38:28 pm »
This helps so much.  Thank you.  So, if I'm shooting a bow that is about #55, myy arrows should be about 500 grains?  How can I increase that weight if I need to?  I would rather shoot wood instead of aluminum.  Also, do I need to shorten my arrows?  Will that increase the speed?  Do you know of any articles I can read to get a better understanding or will you guys just keep replying? Ha! Thanks again.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2015, 02:33:44 pm »
Around 450gr to 500 grs is about minimal arrow weight for a hunting IMO.
 If your arrows are flying well and you cut some length off you will increase the spine by 5# per inch. You can add more point weight to add weight to your arrows but this will decrease spine by 5# for each 25 grs of point weight.
 Keep asking here and you will get answers.  There are a few books out there that talk about arrow making. TBBI and TBBIII both have chapters on arrow making.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC