Author Topic: First bow attempt  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Sam Dugo

Re: First bow attempt
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 08:06:16 am »
Sam,  you've got a good start.  I've only made one board bow, well 2, but the first one exploded.  I've been building from staves, or branches ever since.  Vine maple makes a great kids bow.  I've made 4 so far for the grandkids.  Way cooler than a board bow.
Secondly, I've been building Pennsylvania longrifles for about 15 years now.  200+ hours, and over $1000 in parts, but sometimes, I think bows are more difficult.

I hear ya, this is just a starting point for me and i had the board handy. the hours + $ starts racking up when you start carving and inlaying...

Offline Sam Dugo

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 08:08:03 am »
ok so here is what i did yesterday, got it roughed out and got the tip overlays glued on.

Offline Sam Dugo

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 08:09:31 am »
few more pics

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 08:31:10 am »
With a stiff-handled bow, bending stresses, when they arrive at limb-to-handle juncture, need to be absorbed gradually by handle area. Otherwise there's likelihood that glue joint between limb and riser will fail and handle pop off.
Keyword is "gradually".
Imo, ramps shaped into ends of handle need to slope much more gradually down into limb. Looking at lots of bows posted here on PA will illustrate.
I made same mistake on first bows.
Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline aaron

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 10:47:42 am »
I agree with knoll- fades are too abrupt. I think you can fix them and still have enough wood. is the main lam still 1/2 inch?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 11:16:29 am »
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline Sam Dugo

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 11:19:13 am »
I agree with knoll- fades are too abrupt. I think you can fix them and still have enough wood. is the main lam still 1/2 inch?

Ok i see, i can feather them out a bit for sure. No i took the main lam down to 3/8", probably will need more but figured i can always take more off. 

Offline aaron

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 12:32:08 pm »
when you feather the riser, don't take any off the main lam (yet). this will hopefully keep the riser stiff.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline Sam Dugo

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 12:49:43 pm »
when you feather the riser, don't take any off the main lam (yet). this will hopefully keep the riser stiff.

ok

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 03:13:55 pm »
This is a kids bow i posted a few weeks ago hopefully you can see the fade transition
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹