Author Topic: Slightly Ticked  (Read 13860 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Slightly Ticked
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 03:23:34 pm »
Looking really sweet Kevin! When I first started reading this I was pretty sure you was going to explain to everyone how much of a but head I am! Then show a bunch of pictures of the stave. With one at the end with you roasting marshmallows over a small Osage fire!

I think slightly ticked is a good name for that one. Considering how I forced you to take it!  >:D
I also wondered if you had hijacked some of my original profile pics of "The Fury"  they are like long lost cousin's! The resemblances is uncanny! Funny thing is though, that is from some of my top shelf wood, a 75 year old fence post that never made it in the ground. Very nice bud, can't wait to see it next weekend! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 04:40:05 pm »
turned out real nice congrats,, :)

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 06:23:16 pm »
I am impressed!  Nice work.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 06:47:56 pm »
Nice to know there is a cousin to the fury out there. 199 tuff act to follow sleek. Nice looking bow.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 09:32:52 pm »
AWESOME!  I really like what you did there.   Set? who cares!  You did a great job tillering that sucker for sure.  Nice work!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline sleek

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 09:43:31 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Right now I am in the process of building another one only wider and longer. This one should take less set for sure. Im shooting for less than half an inch but anything less than an inch will make me happy. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 11:53:43 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Right now I am in the process of building another one only wider and longer. This one should take less set for sure. Im shooting for less than half an inch but anything less than an inch will make me happy. 

Ah, hunterbob is right, 199 is hard to follow. Now your trying to beat my 3/4 inches of set on "The Fury", it will never be done, MUAHAHA!  >:D

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2015, 12:03:23 am »

Ah, hunterbob is right, 199 is hard to follow. Now your trying to beat my 3/4 inches of set on "The Fury", it will never be done, MUAHAHA!  >:D

Patrick

I will beat it Patrick.  I have staves, time, and energy.  I will even tell you how im gonna do it.

Slightly Ticked is 54"ttt 50@26 2" set. This new bow is getting bent on the form right now so its deflex matches the profile exactly of Slightly Ticked, including its set.  This new bow is the same width, maybe a hair wider. It is also 62" long. I added the length to allow for 55#@28. Five more pounds than ticked, two inches more draw length and 8" longer with more reflex in the tips for a smoother draw and less stack.

This newer bow takes into account all the stress S.T. has, allows for longer draw and more weight with longer limbs and tips.  Oh yes Patrick,  your record is in severe trouble. Very muchly so.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:50:37 pm by sleek »

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2015, 12:43:44 am »
Well I have your chronograph at my house. We will have to see when you get there! I hope you can beat the 199 out of a hunting bow! Because if you do I'm going to let Devin shoot it to see if it will hold up!!!  >:D >:D :laugh:

Patrick

Offline sleek

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 12:59:45 am »
Now, thats just mean. Lol, watch it hold up and hit 210.

Offline sleek

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2015, 11:54:20 am »
I kust built anotjer one of these, only this time I went 1/4" wider, and I put in the same amount of deflex as slightly ticked took in set. I got 1 3/4" set. But this is without heat treating the belly on either bow. I laid out an outline of tje bow on my door before full drawing it. All my set is in the last 15" of the limbs, starting slowly the gradually taking more as distacne goes towards the tips. Zero set out the fades to midlimb. I dont think the extra deflex made enough difference to justify it. Im gonna start taking deflex out a little at a time until set moves torwards the fades a bit more. Then stop and use that profile on the next one.

Offline sleek

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2015, 11:56:31 am »
After setting both bows side by side, tje distance from tip to back of handle is identical.  I think the only real answer for this design is wider limbs. 1 3/4 perhaps. 

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2015, 02:36:58 pm »
That's a nice bow sleek. Job well done.
Northern Ute

Offline sleek

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2015, 03:08:29 pm »
Thanks. It took lots of sweat and nervousness to make it. Came out ok. Cant wait to shoot it the first time next weekend.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2015, 12:43:01 pm »
Thanks. It took lots of sweat and nervousness to make it. Came out ok. Cant wait to shoot it the first time next weekend.

I'll mow the lane for the short target range extra close so we don't lose arrows underground this time!  Something tells me this bow could bury them down to the fletchings.   :)

OneBow