Author Topic: Bow designs for cleaner arrow flight  (Read 15830 times)

Offline Badger

Bow designs for cleaner arrow flight
« on: September 10, 2015, 12:33:31 pm »
  Something I noticed this weekend that may or may not be worth looking at further. Small samplings are not always good to draw conclusions from but I feel do sometimes point us in the right direction. I noticed with my D/R bows they tend to accelerate quickly in the last few inches, I also struggle the most with them in getting good flight. D shaped bows seem to be a tad slower but much more consistent in clean arrows comming out of the bow. The big recurves accelerate from further back in the bow and also seem more prone to clean arrow releases. I really hate building recurves so this trend disturbed me LOL. The one bow I am wishing I used in competition but didnt was a bow with a fully curved deflex/ reflex with no net reflex behind the bow. It was moderately fast but did seem to give me my cleanest flight in practice. It had a traingular shape when braced. Back to the drawing board!

Offline willie

Re: Bow designs for cleaner arrow flight
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 11:57:41 pm »
Badger-
could it be that we rarely look at clean release as an attribute of the bow it's self? I know as an archer I assume that I have to improve my release when I do not like what I see with the arrow flight (and probably rightly so as my form always need improvement)..... or we look to arrow problems or tuning..... etc.

accuracy is the sum of all the different factors that create dispersion, and although flight shooting is not focused on accuracy per se, the same problems that cause dispersion, can be included as likely suspects for poor flight shots.

can't help but think how often I have heard repeated that an archer likes a little set as it "makes for a sweeter shooter" . I  wonder why? maybe one of those intuitive things that cannot be proved or unproved.

willie

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 12:12:24 pm »
   I think the release is very critical, in the past I have concentrated more on generating more speed in my releases, now days I am thinking more of trying to get clean releases. I have been using nocks that are on the loose side. I intend to do some paper shooting and see how nock fit affects arrow flight.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 12:30:15 pm »
   I think the release is very critical, in the past I have concentrated more on generating more speed in my releases, now days I am thinking more of trying to get clean releases. I have been using nocks that are on the loose side. I intend to do some paper shooting and see how nock fit affects arrow flight.
I would like to see your results on this Steve

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 01:45:30 pm »
Do you shoot two under one over? How hard would it be to develop a pinch grip?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 01:58:20 pm »
  Yes two under 1 over, I have tried the pinch grip but can't manage 50# with it.  I am starting wonder now what type of releases were used prior to about 1950.

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 03:03:33 pm »
In th opening post I read.....

clean arrows comming out of the bow

clean arrow releases

cleanest flight in practice

Badger

Do we need a better word or phrase to describe what you are suggesting here?  I thought that the point you were making in the opening post was about how various limb types,and the way they tend to return home, may affect the arrow differently, at the moment the nock leaves the string. All other factors being equal of course. I am afraid that my using the term "clean release" has been confusing and I apologize. perhaps "release" should be left to talk about the loosing of the string,

unnocking? denocking? sorry if I am not very well versed in flight shooting terms

willie

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 03:19:10 pm »
  Willie, I was making the point you suggested in the opening post but I am all over the place on this issue. One day I am looking at the arrow pass, next day the method or release, next day something else. I really haven't come up with any way to resolve it yet. The flight arrows break so easily when shot into targets that too much time goes into making sacrificial arrows for tuning purposes and sometimes nothing is resolved. I need better methods here. I wish I had access to a slow motion camera. I am wondering if flu flu's on flight arrows might help with the coming out of the bow tuning. I doubt a flight arrow would fly over 40 yards with a flu flu type fletching.

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 03:43:53 pm »
Badger-

so you would spend more time testing if you could shoot your flight arrows in the backyard?

How much range do you have to work with?

willie
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:39:42 pm by willie »

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 03:45:04 pm »
Perhaps light weight carbons?

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 05:01:19 pm »
Badger-

so you would spend more time testing if you could shoot your flight arrows in the backyard?

How much range do you have to work with?

willie

I have to drive a couple of hundred miles for a full sized flight range, I can find a place for 200 yard shots within 1/2 hour of my house. Obly 15 yards in my backyard.

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 05:13:38 pm »
Badger

I have had good luck with soft snow as a backstop. I know  you don't have a lot of that stuff where you are, but for the backyard maybe a target box with something of that consistency?

as for the camera, wasn't there a thread about home brewed high speed photography recently?? maybe with a "sound trigger"?

willie

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 05:58:03 pm »
  Willie, I have a friend who says he can do something with strobe lights not sure how well that would work, I checked with a studio one time that did high speed work and they wanted something like $5,000 for a session. I have my eyes out for guys who just like to do it. I will buy a plane ticket if I find someone but thats about my limit.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 05:53:24 pm »
  Willie, I have a friend who says he can do something with strobe lights not sure how well that would work, I checked with a studio one time that did high speed work and they wanted something like $5,000 for a session. I have my eyes out for guys who just like to do it. I will buy a plane ticket if I find someone but thats about my limit.

I'll talk to my friend who is a professor at Utah State university. Next time you are around Utah maybe he can help you out. Here is a link to his videos.

http://www.splashlab.org/

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 10:05:20 pm »

I'll talk to my friend who is a professor at Utah State university. Next time you are around Utah maybe he can help you out. Here is a link to his videos.

http://www.splashlab.org/

Jo, that would be fantastic, I would happily make a special trip for that