Author Topic: Basic tools and technique  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Lithil

Basic tools and technique
« on: November 06, 2015, 12:32:55 pm »
Hey there!
I've spent a lot of time trying to learn how to cut feathers, how to attach them etc
Problem is, mostly the video makers and tutorial writers used modern tools, like gridner to make feathers straight or they already had them prepared.
I tried to improvise and well... The result was not best, yet still... Don't be too harsh, it was my first arrow. I used to this simple knife, linen twine and moder glue for wood->everything.

Problem is, I have no idea how to start wrapping with thread, how to cut feather properly, how to wrap and how to end wrapping.

What's more, I don't want to use modern tools. Only ancient ones (mostly roman period).
As for the feather, I have goose feathers from wings.

Anyone can help me?  :)

Offline DC

Re: Basic tools and technique
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 12:48:09 pm »
This video series may help.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToZ__b4pBFg
It's not exactly what you want but the techniques are there.

Offline le0n

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 01:44:33 pm »
you don't necessarily need to wrap the length of the fletching. you could peel off some of the vanes from the back of the fletching to allow room for a flat or flipped binding.

if you choose to use the linen string you show, see if you can untwist a few sections of it to reveal the individual strands. the smaller thickness will allow you to perform multiple wraps without gaining too much thickness. and even if you were to wrap the lengths of the fletchings the thinner linen will fit easier in between the vanes. look into getting some real sinew for wrapping.

there are natural glues you can process from gelatin or pine sap. look into those tutorials, because you can use these glues to coat your wraps/terminations.

and for fletch-shaping, some guys put the feather on there un-cut, then after everything is attached/glued, they'll burn the feathers to shape with the hot (coal) end of a stick after it has been sitting in a fire.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 03:07:33 pm »
Look at the very top of this page... "Primitive Fletching Jig, new pictures". That should have what you are looking for.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

riverrat

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 03:28:44 pm »
you need help making a propperly fletched 3 feather arrow. first, your going to have to remove that set up from your arrow shaft. your going to start over. it takes time making a arrow.after you remove that fletch from your arrow. look at the rear nock. is it centered? first make sure you have a nice , centered nock deep enough for your string to go into.are you right handed or left handed? this will help me help you by telling you how to position the fletches correctly.thanks Tony

Offline Lithil

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 03:43:04 pm »
I made arrow with 4 feathers, because I tried to make something like this:
http://sagittaria-handcrafts.com/en/handcrafts/making-historical-replicas/detail_33/

Still, my biggest problem are tools to prepare feather.
Like I said, in every single video Ive watched, I saw modern tools, for example somethning like "box" where you put feather in, then hit it with hammer and voila, your feather is almos ready, just use second tool to catch feather, put it next to grinder and make it flat and straight so you can easily apply to shaft. It looks very simple like that but there is nothing about history.

I hope you understand what I have on my mind. My feathers are not flat on the side I put next to the shaft. I mean, I cut unnecessary part of the feather by knife (hollow shaft). Then I split feather into 2 pices by knife. When I have half of the feather, I try to give it a shape (barb) by knife. It's quite fine by that time. But then, I need to do something if this rachis. I have no idea how to make rachis perfectly flat what tools were used for that in anciet. I try to do this with knife but it's hopless. Often I end up with useless feather casue knife went to deep and cut barb.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 03:55:54 pm »
Did you look at the top of the page like I suggested?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 04:00:13 pm »
At the risk of being a smart a$$ it's at the top of the "Arrows" page.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/board,3.0.html

Offline Lithil

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 04:26:45 pm »
Ok, maybe there is something wrong with, maybe Im tired or something but all I can see is thread about fletching with smart leather tools which helps to hold feathers; thread about arrows made from bamboo with modern tools; beautiful bone arrows; thread with "[attachment deleted by admin]" in almost every post; thread about shafts;  and the htread about fully prepared arrows.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 08:30:04 pm »
Try this. Strip the quill off the feather by grabbing the end of the feather (the side that wasn't in the bird) and pull towarns the other end, you should see a papery thin strip of material come off along with the feathers, but be careful as it is easy to snap the feather at this stage. Once you have striped the feather, use a thread to wrap the back end of the arrow near the nock, add hide glue once you have finished the wrap by tucking it under itself so secure it further. Let the glue dry and then do the front of the feathers the same way being sure to pull the feathers tight to he shaft as you wrap. Once that is done, you can then spread hide glue underneath the feathers along their length and then wrap the with a temporary spiral wrap like you did with the ones you made. After the glue is dry remove the spiral wrap and voila! A perfectly fletched arrow! Then, trim the feathers to shpe with VERY sharp scissors and you should be good to go!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 08:31:34 pm »
Whatever you are, be a good one.

riverrat

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 08:49:47 pm »
Lithil, wouldnt a 4 feather fletch, aligned with your nock as such, 1 feather would hit the bow right?ever see a Cherokee 2 feather fletch. its kind of sort of a 4 feather fletch, using 2 feathers.and none smack against the side of the bow like that set up would.or if your nock was straight up and down as you looked at it. your 4 feather fletch would have to be like a X from viewing it from behind.just my thoughts on vane placement. Tony

Offline Lithil

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 05:30:28 am »
I know know, point is, there is no glue there so I can move the feathers around, if you know what I mean :)