Author Topic: center shot flat bow  (Read 15796 times)

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: center shot flat bow
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2015, 10:05:25 am »
thats a nice little bow there. made one very similar for my grandson. he can zing a arrow clear across the yard with it. he likes to shoot a arrow from the wrong side of the bow . at first i tried to correct him. but then as i watched him, he hit a cardboard box a number of times doing it his way. figured if Ishy could do it, why not my grandson :). Tony

Maybe he needs a thumbring,  ;)

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2015, 10:30:38 am »
i went outside this morning and zipped an arrow about 40 yards with that little sucker... wasn't completely straight.. but for a 5 year old, this is plenty.    she named it eye sore.  /facepalm
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2015, 02:58:32 pm »
ok James, ,you have alot of great advice, I dont want to confuse the issue, but I will put my 2 cents in,, I too like to shoot a short bow, it is easier in tight spots and tree stand hunting,,,
You say your draw is 30 ish,, ok great,,,,
you can learn to shoot a shorter draw if you like,,( to get a shorter bow)
I shoot several bows and can shoot different draws for each bow with a little practice,, anything from 20 to 30 inches draw,
25 inches is about perfect for me,, I am 6 foot and shoot facing the target a bit,,
if you want a 50 inch bow,, great ,, make one and learn to shoot it
you will have a floating anchor ,, but you can be accurate at hunting range,,, :) there is more than one way to shoot a bow,,

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2015, 10:55:18 pm »
yes, there is great advice here. and i've listen to it.  I'm making a 65 inch bow right now.  Hickory, my boss gave me 2 inch by 6 inch boards.. wasn't what i was expecting.  but i'll work with it and get some practice in.   as for needing a short bow.  right now.  i don't even care what length it is.  i went and shot a few recurves at a arch store.  i was comfortable with a 28 inch draw. i could prob even lose a little and be good.  in time, i'll be making good bow's.  i already have people wanting me to make them one.  I do custom cabinetry for a living.  wood is my life.  and they all know it. 

on to answer the question about the dogwood stave i have.  from the leaves, bark, that i collected before chopping it down.  i've compared them online, and with an app on my phone and so far from what i've come up with.  it's dogwood.  Flowering Dogwood, cornus florida.  to be exact. not the hardest of dogwoods, but it'll give me something else to work on, practice practice practice.
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2015, 09:46:46 am »
I don't know if it grows in your area, but perhaps it is Serviceberry?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelanchier
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2015, 10:04:07 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus_florida

this is what i had. looks just like the one i stole the limb from.   

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2015, 12:16:14 pm »
Guys, he knows. Please read all the posts. It gets to a point that all you are doing is confusing people. Too many chefs make bad soup.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2015, 12:44:44 pm »
I'm with bradsmith2010
and @ James Rodney
Out of your stave you can make a bow with a draw length of 23 -25"
Here a pic that explain more than thousand words:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:47:53 pm by AndrewS »

Offline Aries

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2015, 02:14:58 pm »
the search function works fine if you know how to use it. Want to search bow related things, be in the bow section when you search them. Knapping, in the knapping area.
I have a hard time with the search function also,  mainly because it send to pull primarily old topics with the pictures removed :-\
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2015, 02:26:30 pm »
the search function works fine if you know how to use it. Want to search bow related things, be in the bow section when you search them. Knapping, in the knapping area.
I have a hard time with the search function also,  mainly because it send to pull primarily old topics with the pictures removed :-\
That is something the site does to conserve space. One more reason to post your photos through another storage site.