Author Topic: African Gray  (Read 6065 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
African Gray
« on: November 09, 2015, 11:39:32 am »
Well fellas my girlfriend convinced me to get more noise in the house here.An african gray parrot is coming into the house.Anyone ever fool with them?They are pretty neat though too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

Re: African Gray
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:02:41 pm »
Are the feathers big enough for fletching?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:31:48 pm »
You'd have to ask Robin.I'm sure she'd trim yours if you tried....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:04:13 pm »
I hope this is not her first bird. African Grays are a lot of work and need a lot of the right kind of attention or they will get neurotic and have all kinds of issues. They are great birds if you know what you're doing, but sadly far too many Grays are not properly cared for an end up dead or in rescues/sanctuaries. I have a mustache parrot and a good friend runs a bird rescue, she has hundreds of birds in her sanctuary and has seen many grays in sad shape from not being cared for properly. Taking in a gray is like agreeing to have a toddler in your family for the rest of your life and if not cared for and given as much attention as a toddler they will become quite psychologically damaged.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 02:49:35 pm »
I hope this is not her first bird. African Grays are a lot of work and need a lot of the right kind of attention or they will get neurotic and have all kinds of issues. They are great birds if you know what you're doing, but sadly far too many Grays are not properly cared for an end up dead or in rescues/sanctuaries. I have a mustache parrot and a good friend runs a bird rescue, she has hundreds of birds in her sanctuary and has seen many grays in sad shape from not being cared for properly. Taking in a gray is like agreeing to have a toddler in your family for the rest of your life and if not cared for and given as much attention as a toddler they will become quite psychologically damaged.

so very true - - They will give you attitude and bite the hand that feeds them, if they feel you have been neglecting them, emotionally. 

Sounds ridiculous, since we are talking about a bird, but true. 

They are such beautiful birds though.  If cared for properly, they will likely outlive you, so be ready for a lifetime of "polly want a cracker" or whatever else you teach him to say. 

I had a myna bird, years ago, and the location in the little house where his cage was kept was just outside the door to the bathroom - - and that damn bird learned to duplicate the sound of the toilet flushing, and would "flush" all day long, except when the door bell would ring, and to that, he would usually say, "hello dummy".   When he felt neglected, he had this way about whipping his butt sideways in such a way as to be able to fling his poo quite accurately.  Just want to make sure I said "damn bird". 

Russ

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 03:12:16 pm »
     Ditto to what has been said.  They are very intelligent, and can have quite a range of sounds, and mimicking.  But they do require a LOT of attention. I have some Friends in the Virgin Islands, that have a Scarlet Macaw, and a Hyacinth, very neat birds. Some Friends of mine had an African Grey, and like a lot of them, it chose the Husband as it's Buddy, the wife, it would tolerate, but would take any opportunity to bite her.  When she cleaned the cage, she would use a stick to get it to perch on, and then she would put it on top of the cage, and change the paper, and food, and water.  But the bird, would lean over, and bite her, and she would sometimes respond with "Son of a #%$@#!!"  Well one day she was cleaning the cage, and the bird was on top of the cage, and leaned over to bite her, and leaned too far, and fell off the cage, and when it hit the floor, it stood up, and said "Son of a $#%#@!"  So they can use some words in the correct context.  But they are great pets, but don't be surprised if it chooses one over the other, rather than both. If it bites, or tries to bite, never hit it, or thump it with your finger, just blow a puff of air at it.   My Girlfriend raised Cockatiels, and they were also very demanding in attention, and also very smart.  And don't think a bird can't make facial expressions.  Oh indeed they can!  But good luck, and get some good books, on the care and feeding of your parrot.  Get lots of toys for it also.  There are certain foods, you should avoid, like avocados.  It is too fatty for it.  Anyway, enjoy your new permanent child.
                                    Wayne   
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 11:52:41 pm by stickbender »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 03:33:50 pm »
Yes they are beautiful birds for sure and we've done out homework and know what we are getting into.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 04:17:52 pm »
My mustache parrot is a hoot (is that a bird pun), she's small, they are related to indian ringnecks but very different in behavior (and noise level, thank the gods), they are not as smart as a gray but as smart as most any other of the larger parrots. She can say a few things, "pretty bird" and her name and can laugh with you etc. (I swear I've heard her do the star wars imperial march under her breath but she'll never do it if she knows I'm listening). She doesn't understand context so it's pure mimicry but she does know it's our language because when she gets angry at one of us it's so funny to hear here curse us out in the only English she knows, pretty bird and her name, but she says it differently and vigorously so you know she is blessing you up one side and down the other, lol. She prefers my wife but she's really a very good bird so shes nice to me too, just doesn't snuggle like she does with my wife. The kids, they burned that bridge long ago in that birds mind, lol.

Here's what a mustache parrot looks like if you've never seen one:

Offline olhickory

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 07:38:45 pm »
I had a friend with an African Gray.....when he would come home from work and walk into his apartment, the parrot would say, "How's it going Vince?"......too funny

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 08:17:13 pm »
Sounds like a hoot fellas.Robin seen the opportunity to have one and took it.She won't even let me cut the goats horns either.....lol.She's worked in a dog rescue league for a number of years.She realizes the demand it takes to own one and informs me too.I've been around animals being a farmer all of my life.Have a soft spot for coonhounds.Don't hunt much any more since 2005.Used to competition hunt a lot too.Any how this bird is already quite a character.Says "Go Chargers"!!!I'll have to change that I hope.Saying "Chargers suck"..."Go Vikings"...lol.It also says in a deep voice "Hello" like a man...lol.I'm sure I'll learn alot about parrots.It's supposed to know close to 100 words I guess and 20 phrases.It's 5 to 6 years old.
Your mustache parrot is just plain beautiful.I'll try to get a pic up of Missy who this is even though he's a male bird...lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 08:23:41 pm »
I am scared of those things.  They can be dangerous!  Dang things can bite a finger off. 

Leave me catching injured eagles, owls, angry redtail hawks and the like.  They are gentle!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 09:12:04 pm »
Here's a pic of Missy.

BowEd
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 09:27:11 pm »
Unsalted sunflower seeds are a nice treat.  Not more than a half dozen or so a day, though.  Like any other nut, she is gonna love 'em because they are fatty.  They will start ignoring all other food and scream for nuts and if you give in, you will have a bird dead from fatty liver disease.  It is painful and takes months for the poor animal to die in agony. 

Wrap an unsalted sunflower seed in the shell inside a piece of newspaper.  She will have to shred the paper to get to the cookie.  That's fun.  When she gets good at that, add more paper.  When that starts to get boring, stuff the wadded newpaper with it's sunflower seed into a toilet paper tube.  A little harder to destroy, but that is part of the game.  Eventually, fill the cups in half an egg carton (the grey paper mache' kind) with wadded newspaper with sunflower seeds in just a few of them (gotta guess which one has the cookie, baby!). 

Parrots are not "gorge" feeders like a raptor.  A hawk nails a rabbit, gorges until full, and flies off for a nap in the sun.  Parrots nibble and taste all day long as they forage for their meals.  Hiding their food all over the cage and the room is good for them.  It engages their mind and their playful mood.  It's natural and normal for them, too.  Think of this bird as a toddler for the next 35 years and you get the drift. 

Good luck, Ed. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 10:04:03 pm »
Heard they all taste good wrapped in bacon.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 05:30:42 am »
Yep.We've done our homework on this type of bird.Guess everyone can be a lttle different.The thing I'll have to get used to is the noise deal.Other than that it seems a lot more entertaining than listening to the radio....lol.This bird is well taken cared are of.I'm the trustee signed on to give it back to the previous owners in case Robin and me disappear.Notorized....lol.Someone will take care of him.
BowEd
Ed