Author Topic: A Classic experiment  (Read 25802 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: A Classic experiment
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2015, 03:58:12 am »
Sounds like a great Idea to me, [Rock Luck] love that. I always love these added features at the Classic, that is what makes it special. I have tin and rocks to put around the pit and sand shouldn't be a problem. Just need to figure where, I think close to the napping pit/bow area would be best. I will put Bill on a fact finding detail this weekend to scope out the area. It would be nice to know some kind of size hole we are talking about/length/width and depth.
 I will do what I can but as yall know the week before I am pretty busy as is most of our members so all the early birds that show up we will just have to put them to work. Let me know how it is going and what I can do to prepare as early as possible and I will see it gets done.  ;) :) By the way you know if you do a shadow box Miss Joanie will win it.  >:D ;) She has 3 in our den. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2015, 09:33:01 am »
Pappy, we surely appreciate your generosity in allowing us to do this. I agree that this could be a fun feature to this years Classic.

Now for some logistics. Can we find some consensus on the pit? Several of us have done it (I've only done it a couple times.) The diameter should probably be kept in or around 2', otherwise a fire large enough to heat the chert is gonna be enormous. Anybody want to discuss the details of pit construction? Keep it simple? I've heard some talk of preburning and mixing the charcoal into the dirt bedding. Could this also be accomplished with several scoops of ash from Pappy's fire pit?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2015, 11:43:45 am »
String
I would suggest finding out what quantity and dimensions
of preforms you are gonna cook. My understanding is a
single layer without touching each other.
If you were to say a day for a treatment then you could figure fire size.
If you are gong to attempt to treat a lot of rock your going to need a big fire
area wise. Or better yet several smaller fires.???
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2015, 12:13:51 pm »
I am not saying that I'll be there this year but if I do get the opp. I'll be there. Patrick you should carpool with Tower and I.  The pit should be near the wood pile. To keep from waistng space, we should uses spalls or bifaces. Put any stone ya want, 5-10 per person depending on how much there is. Stringman and Tower know where to put them depending on temp needed.  If ya want a couple stones in the fire but won't be able to get there a week early then send some bifaces to the president Stringman or someone going early.  (Just an idea)  Small flat rate should work, mark your rock with marker or something if ya have to do that. Might need a sign that says "cooking flint don't add wood". That's all is got.

Stringman

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2015, 12:14:57 pm »
Coupla good points there. No way to know how much material we will get, although if some send more than is needed maybe not all of the material gets put in the pit. It kinda looks like maybe we should shoot for sending 3-6 good flakes/performs that are an inch or under in thickness.

The "several smaller fires" theory is a good one, but I would prefer not to overburden the generosity of our hosts. So Let's try to keep this to one fire pit.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2015, 12:26:26 pm »
I wonder if metal type tubs would help?? lower part of a 50 gallon drum.
Old weber grills etc. maybe the fire could cook some yummies too. >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2015, 12:49:26 pm »
Scott I'd like to contribute to the endeavor, but I'm not all sure that I'll be there.  There's a possibility that I'll have a speaking engagement that same weekend in San Diego.  I won't know for sure until the end of January.  Either way, I'd be happy to contribute.  Josh

Stringman

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2015, 01:37:22 pm »
Glad you chimed in Josh. Was figuring you would be interested.

I've been kinda thinking about the handling of the material. Does it make more sense to ship everything to Pappy's to be thrown in the pit from there? Or is it smarter to ship to an individual to be sorted and in some cases spalled down to size before the event. I'm kinda getting the sense that I'm being presumptuous to assume a club member should coordinate this whole affair, so let's talk about volunteers from within this group.

We need to determine a pit configuration, as well as a timeline for firing, and obviously someone to oversee the operation. If we assume this process to be a 2-3 day thing, it's conceivable to imagine someone who arrives early in the week can lay the rock out and start the fire on Monday. Adding fuel to the fire several times throughout the day should be plenty and then a final feed in the evening before letting it all burn down. After that there should be nothing done to it until we break it open on Thurs. Am I close?!?

Stringman

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2015, 01:39:41 pm »
So far we have:
Zuma
Iowabow
Stringman
Wolfwatcher (Joe)
Don Tower
Outbackbob
Patrick (jackcrafty)
Mullet (Eddie)
Gun Doc

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2015, 07:53:25 pm »
I have done this many times and have found that there are some things that are necessary to consider.  One thing I know for sure is that a whole cobble can be cooked as well as spalls, it just takes up more room in the pit.  Knowing within reason about what temp each piece requires is important as placement in the pit is paramount to a good result.  Its simple:  a stone that fires around 450 needs to be placed deep or on the outer edge of the coals and say a piece of Texas chert or Eddie's coral need to be higher in the pit and central to the main coal bed.  Its better to have a larger pit than a smaller one as each spall needs some room.  Establishing a uniform bed of coals helps to have a successful cook!  The dirt or sand needs to be dry to start with and keep the coals protected from the dew and rain as they can ruin a cook.  I suggest that each person should try to put his ID and approximate heat requirement on each spall.  Now if Burn Up could wonder by the fire once in a while I am sure there would be plenty of hot coals.  I also think the pit should be located away from the main area of activities.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2015, 09:32:12 pm »
I should be there early and have heat tread rock quite a lot. Most of the rock I cook down here is simple. I put all of the preforms in a hole about a foot to foot and a half deep, small ones on the bottom, big ones on the top, cover with sand and put 2,  20# bags of charcoal on top till it cools down. Works for coral, Fl. chert and Texas chert and Coastal Plains.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Stringman

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2015, 09:06:10 am »
Thanks Joe for that explanation. I agree our material should be marked so that placement is simplified.

Eddie, the charcoal idea might be easier than trying to maintain uniformity with wood. Are you interested in taking the lead on the firing?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2015, 03:44:13 pm »
Sure. If someone will dig the hole, I hate shovels.
Lakeland, Florida

Stringman

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2015, 05:32:31 pm »
Perfect! would you prefer the rock is sent to you, or to Pappy's?

Also, does anyone have a shadow box to donate that we can put the finished pieces in?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2015, 07:07:01 pm »
Pappy's, or better then that, Will's. Pappy is too busy weeks before the Classic.
Lakeland, Florida