Author Topic: I need some advise and pics  (Read 26494 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I need some advise and pics
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 05:20:04 pm »
I'm not considering a specific time period. I'll choose the figure I want to represent. Nick seems to be a good model, cloths wise and his kit. I'll look at other "kits" also to see what all is in included.
 I've noticed that in some full draw pics the archer is drawing to his jaw and others behind their ear, some getting in to the bow and others way in to the bow leaning way back. Is this just a personal preference or specific to heavy/heavier draw weight.
 Thanks for the help so far guys. I don't think this will not be a short term project but I'll post my progress as I go. Getting the shape of the archer at full draw right from all sides is very critical to the final results and I'd like your feedback as I go.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 05:23:05 pm »
Thanks Ruddy. All of those pics will be helpful. The spikes do make a dramatic statement and I have hardwood shoot cut off from some of my arrows that will be perfect for them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WillS

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 05:30:29 pm »
For the sake of simplicity, I'd choose one person and study him shooting.  You really would struggle to find anybody better than Joe for that - there are plenty of videos of him shooting from all sides including from directly behind him and he's got flawless technique. 

Ian Coote has an excellent channel packed with vids of Joe - search 40bowyr to find it on YouTube.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 07:14:15 am »
Very nice Pat!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 08:55:26 am »
Jeff, my Eastern Woodland guy will be on the raffle table at the Classic. You  had better bring lots of dollar bills to buy tickets.  ;)

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 09:44:23 am »
Pat,  does one need to be present at the Classic to get in on the raffle?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:58:44 am by Aaron H (Falcon) »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 10:50:50 am »
Aaron, contact Pappy and he will tell you how to work it out.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 10:58:16 am »
Thank you

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2015, 12:58:26 am »
I know  you will have your own ideas of what your looking for Pat. But I would say that the Medieval archers get up would look more dynamic and ready for action than the MR type! Love your Eastern woodlands figure and look forward to seeing how this one comes out!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 08:54:57 am »
Sieddy, I'm looking for drama, not a particular archer or era. I'll look up medieval archers and see if they fit.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 03:12:57 pm »
...some levied archers of Cheshire and Flint 1330's,

Ruddy Darter.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 06:08:16 pm »
Ruddy, do you have a pic of that era at full draw. Full draw is what I do want.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2015, 06:13:16 pm »
If it's drama you want I seem to remember a picture of a dysentry-ridden bowman at full draw with his trousers round his ankles on the Agincourt anniversary website!

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 06:31:10 pm »
I've had a good scout around on Google and just can't seem to find a good pic of full draw, either its the wrong angle or the legs are cut out the pic  :-\, I did find another pic of a copy of the Chesire and Flint levied archer, he done a good job replicating it so may be of help with the costume. I will keep an eye out for a good pic, what's preferred...a point blank aim at a closing enemy or a distance shot with elavation?

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 06:55:47 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 04:19:02 am »
Here's a great picture of Heffalump off Del's blogspot ( copyright permission kindly granted by Del 8) :D) at full draw with back leg straight and elevation from the waist, if the back leg is bent to get elevation I regard this as poor form(my opinion).
A good one of Del at point blank.
One of Joe Gibbs really pushing into a heavy bow, quite dramatic looking in my opinion.
And one of Simon Stanley who has top posture when loosing arrows.
You will see a slight variation in draw, Heffalump has a long draw length so doesn't anchor as far back as Joe, this is the only reason for this difference.
Maybe costume can be superimposed on these?,
Hope this is helpful

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 04:24:32 am by Ruddy Darter »