Author Topic: Yewbranch ELB  (Read 10926 times)

Offline WillS

Re: Yewbranch ELB
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 07:00:46 pm »
Willis....
how can you buy or sell the sky,
the warmth of the land?
The idea is strange to us.
If we do not own the freshness of the air
and the sparkle of the water
How can you buy or sell them..........Chief Seattle.

Do you think Robin Hood asked permission....

maybe you think you own the land too?  haha

OK, so what you're saying is that if you worked hard your whole life, and bought yourself a beautiful home, with some beautiful land and trees which you then worked hard to maintain, nourish, care for and look after, you'd be quite happy for somebody to hop over your fence at night with a saw, take whatever they wanted for their own selfish desire and all because they "asked god if it was ok"?

That's interesting.  I'll bear that in mind the next time somebody steals something of mine.

Robin Hood was a myth, but I'm sure you knew that already.  He also wasn't supposed to have made his own bows, but the Medieval bowyers were requested by law to obtain permission for any timber cut.  But I'm sure you knew that as well.

I'll reiterate my point - you knew full well what you were doing was morally wrong because you did it at night.  If it was perfectly reasonable to take a tree branch because "nobody can own a tree, dude"  you wouldn't have needed darkness to hide your actions, you'd have done it during the day.  If anybody saw you taking something that didn't belong to you, you would be able to justify it by saying "dude, nobody owns the sky, man!"

Like I said, its a lovely bow and I hope it shoots well for many years.  It's just a shame in my opinion.  I'll leave you to your thread, and apologies for taking it off topic.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 07:41:01 pm »
stay calm Wills....Its just a bit of fun

you need a good primitive attitude to make a good primitive bow....it is a 'primitive' bow site after all, you're bound to get a few primitive types hanging around, with primitive beliefs...

and I enjoyed our little discourse anyway

'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 07:46:09 pm »
If this is true.It's a matter of disrespect.It's not right but it does happen.In a lot of different venues.There's always something to negotiate with the land owner over to make a square deal where both parties are happy.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline WillS

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 08:17:50 pm »
Can't help thinking its far more "primitive" to barter and trade and negotiate than to trespass and take what you want.  That sounds rather unpleasantly modern to me.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 08:41:10 pm »
Ethical propriety should be tempered with generosity of spirit, to shoot an arrow as straight as possible. There's a tension side and a compression side in a bow. Draw and release. The archer and the target are no different.

Happy holidays to all.

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline cadet

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 11:05:50 pm »
Lovely bow.
But I'll go with Will: the way you acquired the stave is not how I'd go about it, necessarily.  Trying to invoke quasi-indigenous cultural and spiritual stuff smashes your credibility to bits.  Indigenous cultures the world over have owned, traded and acquired valuable resources according to long-developed law and custom since time immemorial.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 05:24:27 am »
"Sanctimonious" is a nice word boys and girls...
Now who can spell sanctimonious?
Give the guy a break, this isn't a forum for discussing ethics, and do really want to get into a discussion about how much land the church in the UK owns and how it was acquired?
I've tried in the past to go through formal channels with the church for Yew in the grounds of a disused church and had no respose. Conversely a local vicar has been very accommodating.
For pities sake he took a limb, not the whole tree, I don't s'pose anyone even noticed or gave a damn.
Try commenting on the bow.

As for the comment about "quasi-indigenous cultural and spiritual stuff" ... errr. That's EXACTLY what the church is! ::)
Del
(Admins please feel free to delete this post and slap me down if I have overstepped the acceptable bounds, but I'd rather be discussing the bow).

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 05:31:05 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 07:03:17 am »
I'm soon gonna use this bow for poaching the "land owners" pheasants. I dont suppose you guys will approve of  this either. hahaha

Its true what Del said. The church stole the land in the first place, they stole all the ancient sites of britain, and then they pertend to have some moral high ground....The land of a country belongs to the people of that country, not just a few greedy people . I have a God given right to take some natural resources without permission from other men...I'll take what I need, when I need it, from where I see fit. Then I will accept the consequences of my own actions according to my own conscience..The moral high ground is to not take more than you need from this earth. Not to beleive its somehow morally  right to chop down trees, because some rich guy has given permission, or because you have exchanged some tokens with the queens head on it.

no one will have even noticed the missing branch, no one suffered , no one was hurt by my actions, only the tree.
Those who have criticised my actions are pathetic IMHO and I dont want or need  any credibility from the likes of you.
Sanctimonious just about sums it up.....good word Del!!!

you can not own the land, just because you have a peice of paper to say so , does this give a man the right to chop the trees on that land? and kill what ever lives on that land.? if you beleive this, your morals mean nothing to me....you can only beleive you own the land!,there is nothing quasi about it...

'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 07:14:41 am »
That Bow is beautiful.  The unbraced profile says a lot about your skill. 

Mike

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 07:54:30 am »
The sight of that beauty is a yuletide treat indeed!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 08:17:53 am »
To me he made an outstanding bow as I commented earlier,and taking a limb is'nt so bad either.This sanctimonious talk and taking where and when as I please under my own conscience talk and idealistic talk is a bunch of hog manure.You've painted a pretty poor picture of yourself.In your own words pathetic.Sounds like a personal problem.Not that you care but tell it to someone who really gives a damn ok.I know this site does'nt.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline WillS

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 09:10:29 am »
+1

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 10:45:39 am »
   nicely done

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2015, 11:47:21 am »
obviously 'landowners'

thanks everyone else for the kind words and  compliments...I do appreciate it

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2015, 12:35:42 pm »
Nice bow.

Asking the tree first is as it should be, but then I'm just a NA heathen  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com