Author Topic: Yewbranch ELB  (Read 10927 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Yewbranch ELB
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2015, 11:14:06 am »
I doubt any Indian has EVER cut a living tree for firewood. ;)

Offline JonW

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2015, 11:27:32 am »
I thought religion and politics were a no-no on this site.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2015, 11:35:18 am »
beadman I havent changed my story in the slightest!!, are you sure you have been reading carefully from the begining? ...right at the start I said I asked permission from God, I repeated exactly the same thing later..
     The stave came from a churchyard that is why God got involved...I am not using religion to justify anything, I'm not even religous, I'm a true Heathen, although I do believe in God....Its a christan churchyard, thats why I bought Jesus into it, he should know about these ethical things. Its a very relevant  point, it wasnt some humans private garden or personal property.

I posted a bow here for peoples pleasure, then uexpectedly, 2 people got  on their high horse and started criticising me..about the ethics of taking wood. Now this is an interesting thing, so I presented another perspective...no one is criticising you anyway, why are you even getting involved, why are you defending yourself? from what?....you do things your way , I'll do things mine..go and join an ethics forum or something. No one else here seems to have problem

enough time wasted, I'm not answering anything else

well done for planting all those trees, good luck with your land and bowmaking, I'd like to see some of your bows  some time.
You too WillS...I respect your opinions ...I personnaly have no hard feelings towards you and hope you dont either....at least you expressed what you believe and didnt just sit on the fence..I look forward to seeing your bows too

let a man be judged by his works...
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline WillS

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2015, 11:51:20 am »
No hard feelings here either.  I apologise for the tone of my comments - I should have said nothing at all! 

I have just finished a Yew bow today, so will post it up in the Warbow section.  Frankly, its not as pretty as yours!

Offline DC

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2015, 01:13:26 pm »
Well Dragonman, you learned one thing here. If you bow has a questionable history, don't talk about it. ;D ;D ;D

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2015, 03:41:48 pm »
My neighbor is a pastafarian.  He's got a nice car, so I asked his car if I could be it's new owner.  He said sure buddy.  That's what I heard anyways, my carspeak is rusty.  Then I cooked up some pasta and it was delicious, so I took that as a good omen from the God of my neighbor.  After all, can anyone truly own a car?  The title is just a piece of paper.  All the components came from the earth, which no one can truly own. 

Offline Hamish

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2015, 06:45:17 pm »
Yep,  it is a nice bow. :) Gotta love that yew :) I likes me eggs poached(but bought from a store), and my yew toasted into a nice reflex. A slightly belated Merry Christmas to all bowyers. :D

Offline PatM

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2015, 09:02:40 pm »
I'm sure there are several scenarios where even the most righteous on here would bend the rules. We have a conservation area here that is split by a section of power lines. Both areas are absolutely off limits for harvesting materials and you're NOT going to get permission. However the power line area is absolutely mowed to the ground periodically and the  Conservation area sustains collateral damage on the edges.
  The Dogwood growing on the power line section reaches nice arrow size in a few years and the Birch trees mutilated along the edges  have piles of nice bark.
    Would you just take some of these?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2015, 09:20:36 pm »
Dragonman......I was sticking up for a person I thought was right after the conversation got sarcastic and vile.Why it did I don't know.I have been stolen upon and poached upon before here so it's a touchy subject with me.Something you seemed not to grasp.I ask permission to get dogwood out of ditches from the land owner.Does'nt hurt my pride in the least.To me it's still a matter of respect and understanding for the person.Wood is a renewable resource to be managed properly for future generations.It is not my profession.I do not ask permission from a tree.I replace it.I hate seeing 80 or 90 year old trees get torn up by storms.It's a shame.Some misunderstanding was made here.I agree the conversation got too personal for what was supposed to be about a bow.I am far from perfect.You are making nice bows.I understand your feelings.I have nothing to hide here and good luck with your bowmaking and plans.
Pat M......I can show you there are Indians who do own chain saws and cut down live trees for firewood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2015, 09:31:47 pm »
Well Pat if they want electricity trees are out.The dogwood you could possibly know someone to get permission to get some before they get cut down since they replace themselves,and I'll leave your righteous comment alone.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed