Author Topic: Marshall Mini Bow Challenge  (Read 141616 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Marshall Mini Bow Challenge
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 08:37:24 pm »
I may be getting in on this, except for the dodge the arrow part. My reflex's aren't what they used to be.
Just cut up a deer today and kept the back sinew, should be enough to make a little sinew backed- back scratcher bow.

Looks like Greg identified himself as the easy target  >:D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 08:47:00 pm »
Come on Chris lets see the money shot on that puppy
haul it back  we know you can do it. LOL
Looks like you folks are getting into it already.
I aint had reflexes for a long time so no dodging  for me but I think I can get 90yds out of a mini bow and if you can get outa bed early enough I might have time to shoot the course with ya or come a few days early before the crowd hits and we can have all our arrows  lost before  they even get there
The skunk cabbage  swamp will swallow  t hem little  buggers right up
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 07:37:27 am »
I've been looking for some cheap soft foam balls to put on the ends of our arrows.  Found these on the big auction site.  6 kitten toy balls for a buck fifty free shipping.  They are coming from hong kong so if I order them now they might be delivered in time for Marshall.  Do you guys think they will work?

Features:
Perfect for cats and kittens, also great for mice or any small pets, and shooting your friends with arrows without putting an eye out.
Bright colored
Soft foam
Ball Diameter: Approx. 3.5cm/ 1.38''

Package Included:
6 x Pet Cat Kitten Soft Foam Play Balls

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 07:40:45 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 08:48:05 am »
I gave my first attempt away last night. It was 11 @ 11, 23". It would send a boo skewer across the road and out of my sight. I'm guessing 50-65 yards. I can do better! I had square nuts screwed on the end of the skewers to get some tip weight. At 8 yards it blew the skewer and nut right through a heavy cardboard box. Its amazing what kind of power they have. I dug through my outdoor scrap pile and found a few more prospects.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 08:58:20 am »
Tuukka  mentioned a bow made from a strip of goat horn about 2 feet long and sinew backed shot a crude arrow 250 yards.

Stringman

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 09:46:31 am »
Well, doggone it! Now my wheels are turning.  >:(

Might haveta go dig thru the wood stack.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 10:44:44 am »
     thats pretty cool guys, keep them coming. i'd like to see all of them

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 10:47:03 am »
Well, doggone it! Now my wheels are turning.  >:(

That is what this is supposed to do Scooter! I'm sure I will build and shoot at least 4 or 5 of these little guys before I take one to the race track. It takes very little time to tiller 11" of limb :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 03:19:48 pm »
Tuukka  mentioned a bow made from a strip of goat horn about 2 feet long and sinew backed shot a crude arrow 250 yards.

We have thought of that,and i am contemplating it...a horn bow wood give you the longest draw,and handle a heavier weight...so how far do u think a 24" hornbow can draw? Haha  >:D

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 03:44:47 pm »
Chuck built a 30" horn sinew that drew 18.5 or 19", looked like he could of squeezed a tiny bit more out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 04:20:43 pm »

We have thought of that,and i am contemplating it...a horn bow wood give you the longest draw,and handle a heavier weight...so how far do u think a 24" hornbow can draw? Haha  >:D

Here is his quote:

Last May we tested a tiny, old hornbow at our flight range. Less than two feet long, a thin slab of kinda Yumi-shaped goat horn backed with moose sinew. No wooden core. A mellow reflex and no siyahs apart from slight recurves bent into the horn ends. The maker of the bow had told that he had made his longest shot years ago with this bow. We were sceptical.

The full draw of the horn bow would've been about 16". But none of us could draw the bow that far fingerstyle: the string angle was digit-crushing. At just 12 inches of draw the bow would surely fail to deliver, even though it pulled a respectable 47# at that draw.

Our 16", 130-grain arrows were crude to the extreme: roughly beltsanded, unround, unsmooth, untested hickory sticks suitable for kindling. But they sure did disappear into the sky at launch.

The best shot (out of six) from the tiny bow was measured at 250 yards. This with baaad arrows and a massive underdraw. It seemed impossible for this bow not to reach 300 yards and beyond with a full draw, a trained thumb-ring loose and finely crafted arrows.

It'd be interesting to make an ultra-short sinew-backed 50-pound wood bow and see what it can do. Maybe 24 inches nock-to-nock, with a 12-inch draw? Very short draws clearly have potential in the Flight game.

Tuukka

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 04:30:00 pm »
This looks like it would be fun.  I have a family friend that lives in Battle Creek, MI.  I talked to him about staying there during the Marshall event one year.  What weekend is the event?  Is it the same weekend each year???

OneBow

BTW - I'm thinking a hornbow, even a 24 inch one, could be dang near lethal strength!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 07:01:02 pm »
Oh that looks like SO much fun,  wish I could join you fellas this year.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2015, 07:58:21 pm »

Here is his quote:

Last May we tested a tiny, old hornbow at our flight range. Less than two feet long, a thin slab of kinda Yumi-shaped goat horn backed with moose sinew. No wooden core. A mellow reflex and no siyahs apart from slight recurves bent into the horn ends. The maker of the bow had told that he had made his longest shot years ago with this bow. We were sceptical.

The full draw of the horn bow would've been about 16". But none of us could draw the bow that far fingerstyle: the string angle was digit-crushing. At just 12 inches of draw the bow would surely fail to deliver, even though it pulled a respectable 47# at that draw.

Our 16", 130-grain arrows were crude to the extreme: roughly beltsanded, unround, unsmooth, untested hickory sticks suitable for kindling. But they sure did disappear into the sky at launch.

The best shot (out of six) from the tiny bow was measured at 250 yards. This with baaad arrows and a massive underdraw. It seemed impossible for this bow not to reach 300 yards and beyond with a full draw, a trained thumb-ring loose and finely crafted arrows.

It'd be interesting to make an ultra-short sinew-backed 50-pound wood bow and see what it can do. Maybe 24 inches nock-to-nock, with a 12-inch draw? Very short draws clearly have potential in the Flight game.

Tuukka

I thought it was established that horn bows were over rated???    >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2015, 08:43:09 pm »

Here is his quote:

Tuukka

I thought it was established that horn bows were over rated???    >:D

Sounds like we'll see... ??? ::)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking