Author Topic: Marshall Mini Bow Challenge  (Read 142931 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Marshall Mini Bow Challenge
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2015, 09:54:41 pm »
Maybe  wood shorties are underachieved? It's interesting that other guys making plains style horn bows don't report impressive performance. Of course they aren't shooting arrows of 130 grains.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2015, 11:00:44 pm »
Hey Pat............... you need to make to Marshall with us..... :) and show us your stuff.
DBar
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 08:11:43 am by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2015, 07:47:45 am »
I'm sticking with what I know, self bows. You girls can have your "not-worth-the-effort" horn bows to dilly dally with!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2015, 09:22:48 am »
I am with you on this Pearly!
we will see his Memorial Day weekend  @ Marshall  Mi.
How many arrows do you folks think  will be in a six inch  target @ 90yds  ?
Better yet whos will be closest to that black dot in the center ?
I may have to put something extra in the pot for this one, cant let a fellow be underpayed for this kind of work you know.
Se ya there!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PatM

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2015, 11:24:45 am »
Hey Pat............... you need to make to Marshall with us..... :) and show us your stuff.
DBar

That bow wasn't mine. I was more concerned that if peak performances were achieved with these bows you guys might hurt each other, even with the foam tips on the arrows.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2015, 03:07:07 pm »
DBar

That bow wasn't mine. I was more concerned that if peak performances were achieved with these bows you guys might hurt each other, even with the foam tips on the arrows.

thanks for the concern  ,but most of these boys grew up in the midwest and are used to a bit of pain cause  growing up in the Midwest  means walnut fights , pellet rifle fights and just plain ole getten rocked were a way of entertainment in farm country.

Now you city  folks and youngters from the electronics  age may want to take Pats advice and sit this dance out cause it's  gonna hurt
but you can still have fun shooting at The Bear Across the Pond with us and all the other fun stuff we do !
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2015, 03:09:05 pm »
We grew up trying to sneak packs of Black Cat firecrackers in each other's back pockets.  It came to the point that none of us would turn our backs on someone with a lit punk!  The sound of a zippo lighter from behind me still elicits a jump!

Carry on, non-weenies!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2015, 04:05:15 pm »
True story. Before I was considered bright enough to get a lightening bug excited, my brother talked me into a rock chucking contest. "We'll take turns throwing rocks at each other and see who gets the closest. I'll go first," he said.

As it were, not only did he lose on the first toss, he was aiming at my head - which I considered blatantly out of bounds! But my instant headache precluded me from making a point of it.

Does anyone want to establish a benchmark for us to "shoot" for?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2015, 05:52:52 pm »
Don't  get me started on fireworks  or they will have to call in the national  guard  !!
or for that matter the kind of extra dumb it takes to play war games with dry ice in glass bottles
Not real sure how any of us survived or even escaped without well never mind  best we move on now
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2015, 06:05:14 pm »
True story. Before I was considered bright enough to get a lightening bug excited, my brother talked me into a rock chucking contest. "We'll take turns throwing rocks at each other and see who gets the closest. I'll go first," he said.

As it were, not only did he lose on the first toss, he was aiming at my head - which I considered blatantly out of bounds! But my instant headache precluded me from making a point of it.

Does anyone want to establish a benchmark for us to "shoot" for?

'Splains a lot. Nuff said.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2015, 12:45:38 am »
This is what I got so far. 23 1/2 overall dead standing, heat tempered and shoots of 3/16 oak dowel with 1 inch fletchings dead flat 20 yards. Thinking about putting some tendons on the back but I really want to stay with nothing but air on the back. Amazing how fast these little bows shoot. I talked about a big game playing war but I'm not quite sure I like to be hit with this thing O:)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2015, 12:51:36 am »
Paul ... is the bow even an inch wide at fades? 3/16 dowels? Good grief, I am all thumbs gettin' feathers on 1/4" dowels!
Looks good!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2015, 12:56:59 am »
Three-quarter wide at the handle by about 5/16 thick. Did not even cut a notch in the arrow just shooting it with a pinch grip flat on the shaft

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2015, 12:59:43 am »
And 2-strand string?   :o   :)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2015, 01:02:45 am »
It's a six strand off a short bow. But I plan on making a sinew string..... I remember reading in the rules that the Bow must be of all natural materials I'm going for a string also