Author Topic: Marshall Mini Bow Challenge  (Read 144384 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Marshall Mini Bow Challenge
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2016, 11:21:51 am »

I managed to get mine to shape and get one tip bent
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2016, 05:19:38 pm »
Still not sure which if any of the Mini-Bow venues I might get to attend this year.  I've had beau-coup changes in my schedule of late that are making it pretty hard to plan on much of anything.  ...but just-in-case we manage to get to on of the Venues hosting a chapter of the Mini Bow Challenge,  ;) :o ::) Patrick (lebhuntfish) and I got together the other night to see if we could do anything with this MiniBow idea. 

I had a piece of kinda narrow bamboo and Patrick had a beautiful piece of OLD seasoned Osage with really tight rings, but it was in his refuse pile because it didn't look like it had a bow in it.  We decided to try for a pair of Boo backed Osage minibows.  The Osage was odd shaped, but we figured we could get 25-30 inches of quarter sawn Osage out of the middle of the old stave.  We trimmed the piece out so that the grain stands on edge like so - ||||||||||||| and cut out 3/8ths to half inch thick slats for the bellies of our mini bows.

Then we built a super short caul that has two curved sides to it.  The idea is to glue up both minibows and then press them back to back into the caul on opposing sides.  Patrick heat treated the SNOT out of the belly sides of the Osage slats before we glued them up.

Additionally we had another slat of the Quartersawn osage that it seemed like a shame to waste, and I had a piece of 1/8 inch straight grained Hickory Quartersawn, so we glued it up as well.  We took turns snapping pix of our progress, so I'll have to get Patrick to post some of our 'Making Of' pix to get you a more full story.  Here's a few of the ones I took.

If neither of us can get to Marshall or the Classic, we'll just have to shoot them at MOJAM - which we'll certainly be attending!

OneBow

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2016, 05:21:27 pm »
more pix...

blackhawk

« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2016, 07:15:27 pm »
Awesome stuff eric n patrick!!!! Nice to see some laminate minis...i might have to try that version as well...these lil things are fun to work on thats for sure.

Mini bows are sweeping the bowyers nation...lol  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2016, 08:09:47 pm »
I really dig your dually caul guys, thats thinking outside the box.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2016, 10:53:14 pm »
It's been a lot of fun working on these little shorties! I've really enjoyed the shop time wit Eric as well. I've been kinda in a bow making slump and now I'm excited about a project again. Here is a few pictures I have of our shop time!

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DC

« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2016, 12:48:49 pm »
If these minis are over 40# could they be used for hunting or is there just not enough draw length to build grunt?

Offline Badger

« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2016, 01:19:57 pm »
If these minis are over 40# could they be used for hunting or is there just not enough draw length to build grunt?

At 12" draw they would not store enough energy for hunting but with light enough arrows could get some good cast.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2016, 01:44:16 pm »
And not very accurate for hunting
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2016, 02:25:48 pm »
I be hunting wabits!  >:D

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2016, 03:39:01 pm »
And not very accurate for hunting

If we hit ANYWHERE on Marshall's 3d turkey, will call it excellent!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Badger

« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2016, 05:00:07 pm »
  If I had to bet I would bet no one hits that turkey at 90 yards, I would do 6 shots then move it up 20 yards, 6 more shots then move it up until someone connects.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2016, 05:02:23 pm »

At 12" draw they would not store enough energy for hunting but with light enough arrows could get some good cast.

Sorry, am a bit confused, I know crossbows have a huge amount more poundage but they operate off a short draw?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2016, 05:49:08 pm »
If somebody makes a 24" 100# foot bow that will probably be the case but the last time somebody attempted making a 100# selfbow...which Steve did!  :D...I think the server for the site almost melted due to the overloaded discussions.  I do enjoy watching people shoot bows with their feet though.  Watching some of Howard hills exploits makes me want to try it one of these days.

Offline bubby

« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2016, 08:13:49 pm »

Got another started
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹