Author Topic: first try at keokuk (new pic added)  (Read 21049 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

first try at keokuk (new pic added)
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:41:40 pm »
i picked up a couple spalls of keokuk at the latest FL  knap-in, mentioned by mullet in the earlier thread.  i looked to me like good stuff and i just had a good feeling about it. i started knockin some flakes today  and this is what i came up with on the first round.     its 7\8 wide and 2 1\2 long, it turned out very even and nice and thin.  its legal to hunt with, but usually i stick with 1"  wide points...how much difference could a 1\8" make?..lol  also it came out real sharp too, more so than i expected from this stone.      i just dont know if i should notch it or not, i could do some simple side notched or a small dove tail.   let me know what you guys think on the matter. - Ryan

also this is my first flint ridge point aswell, it cam out pretty good, its 1" wide and 2 1\4 long.  respectivly sharp but a little thicker than i would have liked it to be.  i had bought some flint ridge some time ago and it was 50lbs of less than satisfactory stone, it didnt produce 1 single point, it was heavily grained and fractured. but this new stuff i got was top notch!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:20:57 pm by twistedlimbs »
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

wvfknapper

Re: first try at keokuk
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 07:42:55 pm »
Nice work,, That keokuk works really well and sometimes has good color,,, I love flint ridge , lots of color and if heated right it works like a dream............I like side notches instead of the dovetail type notches but either work fine.

wvflintknapper

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:54:31 pm »
Thats awesome....I wish I could pick up this talent....I can find the Flint...but have no talent for knapping it!! You Guys amaze me.....I watched a Ranger here at the Alibates Flint Quarry National Monument whip out a beautiful Point in less than 25 minutes while talking to Us....it was unbelievable how talented He was at it.....My Hat goes off to you Guys!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »
   Nice points Ryan, I quit notching mine a couple of years ago to hunt with. I just wrap the shaft real good with sinew and glue them in with TB3. I don't care if they fall off after a pass thru or inside a chest cavity. Were you with the people from Brookesville? , Paleo Bob and Sherry? I'm trieing to place who you were,,poney tail tied tight with Tattoos?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 09:21:22 pm »
thanks guys,
mullet, i didnt stay around very long, i had lots of places to be :( so im afraid i wasnt very social
but i was the younger guy with a pony tail and long sleave shirt and a fred bear style hat. i asked about your quartz point that i thought was glass.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

keekeerun

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:46:20 pm »
Very nice work twistedlimbs. Where would I find or buy some keokuk

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:26:24 pm »
i dont know where to buy any online, but i believe its form oklahoma

i was deciding between the small dove tail and a dalton. i was all for the dalton but i didnt want to risk breaking it by knocking flutes so i opted for the dove

Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 10:37:48 pm »
That's some nice work twistedlimbs! I was gonna say that if you do notch it and are planning on huntin with it, be sure to not have barbs - looks like you did fine. You've got the semmetry down ;), nice point!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:15:39 pm »
those are great twistedlimbs i love them
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 11:20:07 pm »
  you can have barbs in Florida.  That wasn't my point, that was Claude Van Orders', I was there taking pictures, not knapping. I left about 12:30.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:24:29 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 12:11:56 am »
HA! looks like i intruduced myself to the wrong person...lol   i think....   i introduced myself to the man in the camo bandana...not you?    i said "eddie parker"  he said yup....  must have meant you were around. i was there from 10- 11ish. he said he recognized me from primitive archer, if tahts not you, what does he go by on here?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 08:49:34 pm »
 Well that's funny, I must have been at Rick Swartzes booth when you came by. I was there the same time you were. But you introduced yourself to about the best knapper in the SE, Claude Van Order. There is some videos on YouTube. That was a nice quartze blade.
Lakeland, Florida

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 10:56:58 pm »
i guess thats like shaking hands with the president and saying hello senator..lol ( i hate politics)
well its a shame i didnt get to meet you then. whats funny is he said he remember talkin to me on PA and recognized me.....lol   he must get that a lot.  but wh oknows maybehe did and i jsut dont realize it..lol  that was a very nice quarts blade.

also i was busy today aswell, fueled by yesterdays success, i took up a piece of un-heated texas chert that was a lot thicker than i would noramally have tackled, buti did manage to take it down pretty darn thin and make a decent small point from it aswel, very sharp and strong. its a shame the cameras can capture all the points traits only the overal shape.    but here it is- Ryan
texas chert un-heated
7\8  x   2 1\4

Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Electricfrontporch

Re: first try at keokuk (new pic added)
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 08:31:11 pm »
Nice points.  I picked up some of that as well.  Mine aren't that refined yet but someday I'll get there. 
Don't Panic!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: first try at keokuk (new pic added)
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 10:15:40 pm »
Nice work Ryan! Those points will kill anything you'll most likely hunt - keep it up, before you know it you'll be gettin em so thin that they won't have the weight you need.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.