Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689695 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1290 on: February 13, 2016, 11:40:26 am »
These are full length leg tendons that are dog treats.  If you soak them you can pound them out into fibers just don't know if all the goodness was cooked out of them in the process of making the dog chews.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1291 on: February 13, 2016, 11:45:39 am »
Had a little time to do some tillering this morning...

I narrowed the parallel section of limbs to 1 7/8".  Rounded the edges and after exercising limbs a bit on the long string, I braced it so that the string was just off the handle about an inch.  Currently pulling 40# @ 13".

The left limb in pic seems a tad stronger to me.  There is a hump in this limb about 12-14" from tip.  I am also thinking the outer 1/3 of limbs are stiff.  Any advice appreciated.  Although I have made several bows, I still struggle seeing the subtle differences in limbs and where and when to remove wood!   :-\

Pics are unbraced, low brace, and pulled to around 13".  (taking pics and pulling at the same time  :laugh:.

Oh, and do you think the left limb has just a little more reflex or is the back of my handle not level causing it to be tipped up just a bit compared to the right?

Thanks!

Mitch

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1292 on: February 13, 2016, 11:47:24 am »
Lookin great mitch!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1293 on: February 13, 2016, 11:51:32 am »
Thanks ajooter - any suggestions?

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1294 on: February 13, 2016, 12:02:04 pm »
Loope -

IMO on the knots - belly knots usually do not cause big problems.  Those knots on the sides that are not exposed on the back of the bow probably won't either as long as they are tight and not rotted etc.  I make sure they are smooth and rounded with no sharp edges exposed.  Knots on the edge of the back can cause problems.  A splinter can easily lift if it is bending on the knot.  It looks like from the pics one of the knots is on the back?  It also looks like there may be some violations around that knot? 
I don't remember what kind of wood you are working and if you were planning on backing it?

On the alignment - if I had to try and staighten it, I would use steam and I would heat it up good for 30 40 min.  I would protect the wood with poly or shellac or something similar.  I will see if I can find some pics.  I use a large pot (couple inches of water) and set the bow across the pot and cover with2 layers of foil so that only the area I want to heat is exposed to steam.  I wrap the area I want to bend with a rag of some kind to keep it hot and moist.  I know there are other ways to do it, that is just what I have done.  Good luck with it!!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline half eye

« Reply #1295 on: February 13, 2016, 12:05:32 pm »
Mw.......That is indeed looking good, very good as a matter of fact. That bump in the left limb does mess with you at brace....however by the time you are at the bottom of the draw that has dissapered  and both limbs very even with smooth curves.....I think you are set to start bringing her back.

If you start bringing her back try to watch for evenness and not  exceed the max weight all at the same time.....and STOP when either one happens. If it's the limbs starting to look different then correct that and then draw to weight......if it's weight then tiller evenly to bring the draw length back.

That bow is looking exceptional sir
rich
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 12:08:57 pm by half eye »

Offline half eye

« Reply #1296 on: February 13, 2016, 12:11:31 pm »
MW,  one other ...IF there is a difference in the limbs it is in the outside 1/3 of the left limb....so keep your eye on that as you come back (as far as evenness goes)
rich

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1297 on: February 13, 2016, 12:24:43 pm »
Thanks Rich!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1298 on: February 13, 2016, 12:52:43 pm »
I think it looks great mitch....keep pulling just monitor your weight and check it at every inch of draw.  I use a gizmo quite a bit at that point.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1299 on: February 13, 2016, 01:23:46 pm »
Gizmo is a good idea ajooter - will do.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1300 on: February 13, 2016, 01:58:00 pm »
Looks a little stiff coming out of the right fade mitch...might just be my eyes playing tricks tho

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #1301 on: February 13, 2016, 03:19:14 pm »
I got some Mork work done on my plan a BL.  After I had the tiller very close, I toasted the belly on both limbs and ended up way out of tiller.  After heating one limb had about 4 inches of reflex and the other only had 1 inch.  I tried a second heating on a form for the limb with less reflex and did not gain any more reflex (this limb started with an inch of deflex and the other started with reflex).  I ended up tillering from there.  I thought I had the tiller good last night and all looked even.  I went out this morning and strung the bow an immediately could see the reflexes limb was way stronger.  I spent some more time tillering this morning and now I think I have this bow about as good as I can get it.  Below are some pics. In have shot the bow about 50 times today and it holds reflex in both limbs. 

Here is the bow just after being shot.

Here is the full draw.  I made weight but I wanted more.

What do you all think of the tiller?  I have started on plan b and will post pics of that as I go.  I would like to get a few bows done and send the best one. 

Offline half eye

« Reply #1302 on: February 13, 2016, 03:23:28 pm »
ajooter,  got my care package you sent. Wish to thank you and some body is going to appreciate it as well.......thanks again man.

Swampman, ....the bow looks really good, think you did a great job, but have to say that unbraced profile shot is very sexy sir......
rich

Offline DC

« Reply #1303 on: February 13, 2016, 03:28:50 pm »
Swampman- When I imagine what a braced bow should look like I get an image just like your bow. I really like that. Kinda got Robin Hood written all over it.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1304 on: February 13, 2016, 03:39:09 pm »
Looks great swampman!! That's $ right there....that top fade has come around and the unbraced profile is lookin good too.