Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689700 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1305 on: February 13, 2016, 04:16:02 pm »
That's a good looking bow swampman.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1306 on: February 13, 2016, 05:01:20 pm »
Swampman, whoever gets that bow will be one happy archer. Very nice work.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #1307 on: February 13, 2016, 05:17:26 pm »
Thank you all for the nice comments.  The only thing I don't like about this bow is that I wanted a little more draw weight.  Like I said, I did make weight but barely.  It is a fun bow to shoot and I will enjoy shooting it some more.  now if I can make a better bow I could keep this one.   >:D >:D

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1308 on: February 13, 2016, 06:07:01 pm »
Mitch, that bow is really coming along great.  Keep it roll'in.

Swampman, your bow is looking like a winner too.  Nice work fellows.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1309 on: February 13, 2016, 07:06:01 pm »
I used dry heat on the handle.  It was a little over 2 inches out of alignment and I am a little less than 1 inch out now.  It needs another heat to get it more in line.  I have never tried steam, only used dry heat.  Anyone have thoughts on dry heat vs steam?

Loope, I wouldn't worry about those knots until you have to. I'd guess the knot near the fade will be all but gone by the time it starts bending there and by the time you round those edges off good. Get it bending nice on the floor and then asses the knots again. As far as  steam vs. dry heat? If you need to make big lateral type move, like you do, I prefer steam. Just grab a stock pot and put 2" of water in the bottom. Get it just hot enough to rumble. Lay your troubled area over the pot, back up, and cover it with tin foil to catch all the steam. Give it about 35-40 minutes and make your bend within 30 seconds after you pull it off the heat. Let it sit over night and continue on your way.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Loope

« Reply #1310 on: February 13, 2016, 07:27:15 pm »
Thanks PD for the advice.  I will give it a go with the steam!

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #1311 on: February 13, 2016, 07:30:28 pm »
I split off that chunk that wanted to go (fortunately it tapered off the further I went down the stave rather than digging into it) and debarked the entire thing.  I'll see if I can actually catch a ring tomorrow.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1312 on: February 13, 2016, 07:39:56 pm »
Ranasp,    good for you....you must be livin right cause getting the bark to pop like that does not happen all the time >:D >:D Looking good so far.
rich

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #1313 on: February 13, 2016, 08:03:08 pm »
Really?  Lots of it was just peeling off when I pulled on it bare handed.  I'm willing to bet the ironwood will more than make up for how easy debarking was on the BL. 

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1314 on: February 13, 2016, 10:16:07 pm »
Loope good luck with the big bend!
Mitch, doing a great job so far from the looks of the pics.
Swampman, classic looking bow with pretty tiller. Greaat work everyone!

I made a new tillering tree on the nearby shed outside today. It was zero F and blowing hard, so I did most of it in the house and then quickly screwed it to the shed siding with aa scrw gun. It was bitter cold with 30 mph gusts. I've been finishing up the old Plan A bow even though I'm not sending it out. It's a very nice bow, though 3 lbs under min weight. I also have been tillering the Plan B bow on the floor with a mirror. Been going slow on that. I'll switch to the new tiller tree when the arctic express leaves town! Oh, also was able to shoot the repaired Meare Heath bow yesterday. Looking forward to finishing that one off.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1315 on: February 14, 2016, 07:57:42 am »
Black locust often times nearly falls off after a few years. Unlike osage, it just gets tighter and tighter and tighter. Like a boa.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1316 on: February 14, 2016, 09:00:51 am »
Mr. B,
      Sounds like around here bud. Run out to the shed only as is absolutely necessary 8) Hope to have some more pics up today....both the heavy Iroquois and that osage sinewed 'nanner. Seems as most are just smokin along. This trade is just way cool.
rich

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1317 on: February 14, 2016, 09:40:51 am »
Man..,...you guys are making me want to get shavings flying again but I'm stuck at work.

Have four days off starting tomorrow so hopefully I can get some shop time.
Steve Bennett

Offline half eye

« Reply #1318 on: February 14, 2016, 09:53:38 am »
Turtle, I for one cant wait to see your stick bending, sir. That is going to be some bow.
rich

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #1319 on: February 14, 2016, 09:58:06 am »
Quick update, I bolted  the joint in my takedown with a single central bolt but the joint pulls open as the limb begins its bend around the bolt - only the one side, the one in tension, the compression side is good and tight.  I think I need to laminate a top piece onto the back of the one limb to turn the joint into a tenon joint so the bolt will pinch it shut instead f allowing it to flex open.