Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689661 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1500 on: February 19, 2016, 08:47:54 pm »
 Looking good from here Rich, 3 different designs at once, jeesh you been busy...
                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #1501 on: February 19, 2016, 08:48:03 pm »
TR - I have worked erc a couple of times, but never something that short.  I think you would be hard pressed to get 28" out of it...but you certainly could prove me wrong!  I would suggest sinew backing it.  ERC makes a really light snappy bow.  Getting it there without it exploding is the tricky part.  :laugh:

This one is mostly sapwood - sinewed back.  I hunted with it this year and shot a nice doe with it.

Mitch

thanks Mitch.  I'll sinew back it and just try for a 26" draw. 
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #1502 on: February 19, 2016, 08:50:44 pm »
Those look great Rich!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1503 on: February 19, 2016, 09:37:52 pm »
What ever happened to...you guys are killing me....I'm way behind...I better get to work....I don't wanna hear it rich!  8)

Those are some nice looking sticks right there...the Penobscot looks stout btw!  Which one is mine again?!  >:D

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1504 on: February 19, 2016, 10:34:44 pm »
Those look mighty fine.  Dang Rich, you are a bow making machine. 
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline DuBois

« Reply #1505 on: February 19, 2016, 10:38:19 pm »
Well here's the latest. I tied this osage r/d from tips 1/4" past handle to 3" past and then I threw a fat course of whitetail back sinew on and then a big fat crowning course of moose leg on that. Now IU get to watch it for a couple weeks and work on the other osage. I don't think the lilac is trade material although it will still be a cool character bow if it survives me.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1506 on: February 19, 2016, 10:39:51 pm »
Man Rich those look awesome. can't wait till the next bows you post.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1507 on: February 19, 2016, 11:09:34 pm »
Rich - those look like mighty fine bows.  Somebody will enjoy shooting them for sure!

The sinew looks good Dubois - now wait...and wait...and wait. :laugh:

I did some heating to my hackberry and continued to tiller - try and get some pics up in a bit.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline DuBois

« Reply #1508 on: February 19, 2016, 11:50:40 pm »
Took some hunting but I found the Rich bows pics. Dang buddy!! Those are fine works of art there. You ever take a break  ;)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1509 on: February 20, 2016, 04:45:28 am »
Those are some sweet looking bows Rich.
Steve Bennett

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #1510 on: February 20, 2016, 06:27:06 am »
  Since 2010 I've seen "magna opera" from you, so "magnum opus" will be interesting sir...Yea, been researching again Rich, headed to the shop to work on that saw blade steel you sent and will email you some pics later...
                                                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1511 on: February 20, 2016, 08:52:29 am »
Dubois that's a mighty fine sinew job.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #1512 on: February 20, 2016, 09:33:11 am »
Nice looking trio of bows Rich, looks like you got hammered with the white stuff up there.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline half eye

« Reply #1513 on: February 20, 2016, 09:39:20 am »
Thank all of you for the nice comments. I hope the recipients like them. I think mine are pretty plain and a lot of folks dont think much of 'em.....but these three will flat send arrows 8).

I wish I had enough wood to build a trade bow for everybody in this trade, all you guys are making really nice bows and I would be proud to exchange with each and every one of you 8) 8) 8)

Doob's  please tell me it aint so, for the love of God man. >:D :-X
rich

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #1514 on: February 20, 2016, 10:13:01 am »
Hi Guys,

got the limbs down to brace, weight seems to be about right, maybe a little light, 25# at brace but the lash-up 'riser' has served its purpose so now I will make something nice from cherry. Here's what I have learned
1. notching the limb does not help hold it in place - the notch will always act as a lever, and an incredibly poweful one at that - it literally pulled a Sapele (African mahogany) riser apart - the photos show the remains of the notch if you look carefully;
2. trying to catch the tip of a riser in a mortice is pointless - it squeaks and creaks like crazy as you cannot stop the limb tip from flexing when the limb bends;
3. you need to use the bigest washers you can on the bolts as the forces involved are huge.

I realise the centre block si messing things up and the next task is to sort that out but I have a couple of questions in the meantime. The second photo is about a 2" draw, I think the levers may be too long? I believe the curve should be eliptical, so the outer third needs to be moving more?   Also, any reason I can't reflex the limbs at the handle when I carve the riser for real?