Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 698486 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1620 on: February 23, 2016, 10:53:26 pm »
The limb is 1 3/4" wide 3/8 thick.

It's parallel for the first 16" out of the fade then tapers to 1/2 at knock.

Rounding the belly want work the tear out is 3 1/2" long 3/8 at the deepest point

I can narrow my limb to 1 1/4" wide and that would take care of it but I would have to take it all off that one side.

Then I might not make my draw and weight. Which then again I can make it and see what it turns out. I could always flip the tips to get a little poundage. But once again not make my draw.

Or I can just hope for the best with the BL. The raw hide turned out great and it's been tillered to long string and it's now setting at 30lb at 10" draw.

I'm just glad we have till August 1st 😜

How far are tough drawing it on the tiller tree? What are your pounds and draw length you are going for?

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline half eye

« Reply #1621 on: February 24, 2016, 06:19:46 am »
Hey Mitch,
     I agree on flipped tip performance. Most all of my personal bows are either straight tipped or have the long sweeping recurves that work. The recurved ones are that way because the NA Model I'm after was so made. Not because there was any leap in performance.
     I'm going to skin this bow and either make the tips look like "rattles" (depending on the skin) or I want the look of some of the west coast types with rawhide wrapped grip and tips. Also this bow is longer than my usual (basically overbuilt) for a couple of reasons.....the bow has a very comfortable and smooth draw curve even if overdrawn a couple inches. That means if the recipient wants to shoot 3-D all day it will be a pleasant experience. The second reason is that since the bow is 59" ntn flipping up the ears will allow for some shots in a smaller length arc....if needed for hunting.

Gutshot,
      You said if you narrow your bow it would have to all come off one side. With some careful layout you could do that with a single sided scalloped bow.....there are several different types of those.....just a thought sir.
rich

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #1622 on: February 24, 2016, 10:45:54 am »
Well, I've made some progress on the plan B bow.  I've cut out the pieces that will be used for the bow.  Here's a picture of the osage being glued together.  It's a 4 inch Z splice that I'm gluing together with Smooth On.  As a side note, a little does go a long way!

I will hopefully be prepping some more wood for the bow today.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline half eye

« Reply #1623 on: February 24, 2016, 12:21:23 pm »
ttt

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #1624 on: February 24, 2016, 01:50:17 pm »
Rich,

I carved rattle shaped nock overlays out of antler before. If you want a set let me know and I'll whip them up for ya.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline half eye

« Reply #1625 on: February 24, 2016, 02:22:13 pm »
Much obliged Kid, I'll let you know as soon as I get skins rounded up sir. Thank you for the offer.
rich

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1626 on: February 24, 2016, 05:24:39 pm »
Thanks Rich - looking forward to seeing the skins on it.  I like the looks of the flipped tips, I just didn't know if they made much difference in performance of the bow or not.  I have not done enough work to know for myself.

TY - that osage looks clean!  What is the plan?
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1627 on: February 25, 2016, 06:57:48 am »
Finally got caught up with all the trade postings...everybody is still getting it done!  The second hickory I have going is giving me alignment issues...I'm blaming drew for that  :P

I had it steamed right where I wanted it so I rawhide backed it and now it's out of alignment again.  I'm going to try just moving the tips a little since I believe it's too far out for a nock alignment.

The first hickory I strated is coming along nicely.  Got some nice natural kinks to work with.  But it's a little long for my guy...I may end up puking it down...will see.

Pictures to come sometime soon.  Keep up the excellent work gentlemen ( I use that term loosely in regards to some of you  ;D)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #1628 on: February 25, 2016, 07:30:37 am »
Sort of roughed out the riser for my 3-part TD, any comments would be very welcome.  One of the chaps in church is turning some brass Alan bolt receivers for me to epoxy into the riser, so very excited to see how they will look - much nicer solution than through-bolting

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1629 on: February 25, 2016, 08:36:30 am »
I'd like to see your limb assembled to comment...interested in trying one myself

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #1630 on: February 25, 2016, 08:53:44 am »
Hoping to get the parts on Sunday so will be able to properly assemble the bow at that time.  Will post again middle of next week  :D

Offline sleek

« Reply #1631 on: February 25, 2016, 09:29:11 am »
Stuckinthemud, i am concerned about the integrity of your riser. I dont know if the ears that the limbs attatch to are beefy enough to take the load. Wear safety glasses and a cup when you pull it back.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #1632 on: February 25, 2016, 09:59:01 am »
Duly noted; hoping that cherrywood will have enough density to cope , it's about 1.5inch square at the waist and fans out to 2x0.5 inch at the ends. Will definitely take things slowly when applying strain the first few times. That's kinda the reason behind the rough level of 'finish' , no point in neatly varnishing something that might end up in the log-burner ;)

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #1633 on: February 25, 2016, 10:49:59 am »
Rough levels of finish are where splinters and explosions start

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1634 on: February 25, 2016, 11:05:16 am »
stuckinthemud, that design is very dangerous and will not work. You cant build a 3 pc riser much shorter than 13". The depth where the inserts get buried should be no less than 2". Yours will break off at about 25# draw. Your limbs have to have fades either glued on or rasped in. You don't have any. The limb beds should be no less than 3" long and need deflex to ease strain, you have none. That is not good all around and something you shouldn't trade. IMO.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.