Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 702721 times)

Offline Drewster

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1785 on: March 02, 2016, 02:41:11 pm »
Drewster
       That is a pretty bend right there....I dont see anything wrong at all.... the left tip is MAYBE one/two scrapes behind the right, but I personally would not mess with it.
rich
Thanks Rich,
I've been trying to go slow and really improve my tillering.....train those eyes to "see".  I'm wondering if the left limb is a little flat a few inches out of the fade.  I'll keep a close watch as I pull more weight.  Appreciate your help.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #1786 on: March 02, 2016, 03:00:47 pm »
I dont know if this will help or hurt......when I'm looking at my bows for "evenness" of bend I dont look at the back at all.....I follow the belly line. The difference being that on mine the back is usually "natural" and the belly has the "worked" surface so I learned to judge by the belly line.

I went back and looked at your pics again and thought I saw what you mentioned in the braced pic but it is not so in the draw pic.....and I am not there so I'm stickin to "pretty bend" assessment,sir
rich

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1787 on: March 02, 2016, 03:14:41 pm »
Drewster
       That is a pretty bend right there....I dont see anything wrong at all.... the left tip is MAYBE one/two scrapes behind the right, but I personally would not mess with it.
rich

+1

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1788 on: March 02, 2016, 03:27:56 pm »
Drewster that hickory is looking good

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1789 on: March 02, 2016, 03:39:16 pm »
Sure does, GS. :)
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1790 on: March 02, 2016, 04:25:48 pm »
Very nice drew

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1791 on: March 02, 2016, 06:58:29 pm »
Plan B, Gutshot, and Drewster, all looking good going into the final stages.

ajooter, good luck on that handle line up.

I did get some scraping accomplished today. Started with 1/4" positive tiller and hope to end up with 1/8th. Currently 3/16 but I've found with the top being longer I'll probably lose that 1/16th while working down to weight.

Pulling 45@20 and shooting for 50@28. All finesse work from here on out. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:04:00 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1792 on: March 02, 2016, 07:07:03 pm »
Drewster, good lookin bend. Fred, also a sweet lookin bend. Anyone know what kinda birch this is.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1793 on: March 02, 2016, 07:43:02 pm »
Woods a bendin!  Timothy, Drewster, Fred - they are looking good guys.

Still shooting mine about 20 arrows each evening.  Will do that for a couple of weeks and watch the tiller.  Then it will be time to finish it off.

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #1794 on: March 02, 2016, 08:48:44 pm »
That is the white kind of birch, or paper birch. Are you on the hunt for some? I can find all three fairly easily if you want me to cut one.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1795 on: March 02, 2016, 08:51:29 pm »
Dakota, whats the bow makin kind? A buddy of mine has acres of this stuff.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #1796 on: March 02, 2016, 09:04:22 pm »
I have a white birch in progress right now.  It is one of my options for a trade bow.  Not sure how it will work out but so far it looks promising.  PlanB has made a couple out of black birch that look really nice.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1797 on: March 02, 2016, 09:09:51 pm »
The BL is full tillered at the upper end of the weight. Shot it about 75 times its got a good smooth pull light in the hand with no hand shock. Weight is around 15oz. I got it sanded down smooth and got it in the fummer for a 8 day soak. Can't wait to see it never soaked a BL that long. Then I will check the tiller again then give it a few finishing touches. Lauren is gonna start on the special one off string she calls this one lemon-lime.

All you bowyers are doing a great job. I love looking at all the progress that's getting done. Keep up the good work.

Fred can't think you enough for heading up this trade. You are doing a wonderful job. Heck I've meet some super nice people on here and already have made a few trades for some goodies that I needed and they needed.

Rich thanks for all the help you have gave me and every body else. I would've never attempted a bendy handle bow with out your help. Heck I've fell in love with bendy handles. Be hard to go back to the stiff handle bows now. But I'm sure I will still make a few.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1798 on: March 02, 2016, 09:41:04 pm »
stix it looks like white or paper birch as Dakota Kid said, but to make sure, what state are you in?

I'm curious to see how white birch works out as a bow. I don't have enough of it surviving on my land after some kind of insect or disease attack for me to want to cut any. As Dakota said most of the bows I've made are black birch, and I'm very happy with how they have turned out.

I have yet to try yellow birch but I will this summer. In terms of rating the birches as bow woods, I can't prove it myself yet, not having tried them all, but just looking at the wood specs I'd guess yellow might be a small amount better than black, and white a little lower in the list. But you never really know unless you try them. Black is the heaviest and stiffest, then yellow, and then white.

Black is by far the straightest and most limbless tree growing here. It looks like natural telephone poles here. It's easy to cut clear wood from it. Yellow tends to have branches all down the trunk, to divide, and to grow twisty. It's hard to imagine doing anything but character bows with the quality trees i see here. White might be better I think, but again, I don't have enough to say.

I say go for it -- pick a straight tree, thick as possible (they look small in the pic) and without too many limb scars, and i bet it makes a decent bow.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1799 on: March 03, 2016, 08:12:00 am »
Thanx Planb, i'm gonna cut some and try it.
DevilsBeachSelfbows