Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 702725 times)

Offline half eye

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2145 on: March 25, 2016, 05:39:47 pm »
Dang Drew, thats a tight joint by anybody's standard sir. That includes furniture, boats and all of it. 8)
rich

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2146 on: March 25, 2016, 06:21:04 pm »
+1
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #2147 on: March 25, 2016, 06:42:42 pm »
Got finish drying on my other project so I got back to work on the dogwood bow. Got it bending a little more on the floor then I put it on my caul to add a little reflex and line the tips up better. Hope to get it to at least a low brace tomorrow.

Steve Bennett

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2148 on: March 25, 2016, 07:02:21 pm »
Thanks Rich.   I guess my woodworking background comes in handy sometimes.  Now, if I can just learn to tiller without making any irreparable mistakes  ;-)
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2149 on: March 25, 2016, 10:24:00 pm »

Well here she is 2" shy of full draw @ weight.  I think the lower fade is still a little stiff...I'll let you guys chime in.  That kink in the lower limb is still visible but I think that part of the limb will be all right.  The lower limb is 1.5" shorter then the top limb.  Gonna post some overlay materials for you to check out in a few.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2150 on: March 25, 2016, 10:33:08 pm »

I visited a Curtis Lumber near me in Ballston Spa NY...let me tell you I could have stayed there for hours.  These are pen blanks for making wooden pen handles.  Some of them stil have wax on them so its hard to see the rich colors but let me tell you they are nice.  They are a great size for tip and handle overlays as well. They have all kinds of exotic Lumber too!

For this bow I'm thinking some blood wood and purpleheart for the tip overlays.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2151 on: March 25, 2016, 10:40:39 pm »
That isn't a splice drew....looks like you drew it on a stave!! ;)  wish I had those skills!

That dogwood is looking great turtle...I gotta get my hands on some of then stuff!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2152 on: March 25, 2016, 11:33:27 pm »
Drewster that's the cleanest splice I've seen.

Turtle I'm liking the work your putting into all your bows. Gonna have a hard decision soon on which one to mail out.

Ajooter only thing I see wrong is its right handed. Dang it 😀

Hopefully tomorrow ill get some of time in to work on the mapl bow. But right guy now I'm down by the creek doing some hammock camping. We have the best rot lines baited. And was lucky enough to catch 5 keeper crappie. Hopefully we catch a lot more in the morning and have 50+ lbs of cat fish to clean. Keep up the bow building.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2153 on: March 26, 2016, 08:58:21 am »
Ajooter, that baby looks sweet. That bottom fade does look a lil stiff but not bad. Any of those overlays would be cool.   
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2154 on: March 26, 2016, 10:26:06 am »
ajooter - that bow is looking sweet - well done.

I haven't made much progress last couple of weeks - fighting a flair up in my shooting shoulder! >:(  Have not been able to draw a bow in 3 weeks.  Makes it kind of hard to shoot in my trade bow!!!  Went to the doc yesterday - thinks it is a bit of arthritis that was irritated by a cold I had.  Supposed to give it a little rest and gentle rehab and it should come around - hope so.

I plan on tillering out the hickory backed trilam (plan B) in the mean time.  Hopefully can get back to shooting so I can finish out plan A.

Lots of good progress going on - too many pages I've missed to comment on all of them - but bows are looking good.

Mitch

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #2155 on: March 26, 2016, 01:27:54 pm »
That is looking real nice ajooter but like gutshot said should be a lefty-Hammertime

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2156 on: March 26, 2016, 02:26:05 pm »
I don't think I could draw a bow at any reasonable draw weight weight with my left arm...maybe on the next trade fellas!

Thank you for the compliments as well!

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2157 on: March 26, 2016, 03:04:59 pm »
sorry I've kinda disappeared for a while after my yew bow broke :'( i found a nasty looking dent on the back of my plan be honeysuckle :P so on too the next.

here is where i am. pretty close right now. out to my target draw length and the lower end of draw weight just wanted a tiller check real quick.

i thinkthe top limb seams a bit weak and and the center third can come around some more, thoughts ???

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2158 on: March 26, 2016, 03:31:21 pm »
Hey guys, time for another drawing.

Winners choice:
A dz raw cane shafts donated by Gun Doc,
Pair of elm billets from Pearl Drums
or
half eye's plains style quiver

And the winner is:

Congratulations Otter!!

Someone donated a farriers rasp  :-[  but I had to delete a bunch of PM's because my mailbox was full.

Dylan that bow is looking good> top limb may be a little weaker but not much. Might be careful removing wood if you're already on the low end of draw weight.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2159 on: March 26, 2016, 04:42:48 pm »
Congrats Otter. Your the lucky guy. Go back and find that pic of half eye plains quiver. Man that thing is nice, but pick what you want. Congrats again.