Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689790 times)

Offline dylanholderman

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #4110 on: August 19, 2016, 07:55:20 pm »
if you can keep the overall length under 6' it will save you some money on shipping ;)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4111 on: August 19, 2016, 09:22:20 pm »
The postal service oversize measurement is anything over 84" by adding length + girth.

Example: 68" tube + girth ( a 4"w and 4" h box would be an additional 16" in girth)

68 +16 equals 84".
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4112 on: August 20, 2016, 03:49:32 am »
Is that method good for international shipment - I was going to use a carpet roll cardboard tube? 

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4113 on: August 20, 2016, 11:07:52 am »
I don't know if it is a problem, but, when heat-treating I also straightened out a left-right curve in one limb.  Put a half-dozen shots through it and the curve is back - the string track is about 1/3" off centre at the arrow-pass but on good-side for the archer.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #4114 on: August 20, 2016, 01:39:52 pm »
Stuck I think either way would be good for shipping.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #4115 on: August 20, 2016, 02:03:34 pm »
That's a great looking bow David. I'd be proud to have it. Great work!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4116 on: August 21, 2016, 07:19:18 pm »
Nice job, David. I'm glad you persevered and you ended up with a fine bow to show for it. It was enjoyable watching you meet the challenge.

I got my nock overlays glued on and the cloth backing applied. Arrow pass goes on tonight and the belly scale stain tomorrow.  She's still drawing heavy and I may need to shave her down a bit still before the belly staining.
It was a bit of a busy weekend or I'd probably be on tru oil coats by now. Had a class reunion Saturday and a family reunion today. I loaded up a dozen of my bows, 3 times as many arrows, and a few targets and hauled them to the park for the family to enjoy. It was windy and the lake was pretty rough which meant no boating or swimming this year so the archery was a big hit. I think getting to shoot was one of the highlights of the reunion for a lot of the family.  I was happy to provide the experience, but 6 hours of instruction and demonstration felt a lot like work even if it was way more fun.   
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Loope

« Reply #4117 on: August 21, 2016, 09:00:33 pm »
Nice job David, that bend looks great!  I am sure your recipient would be pleased.

I shipped just like the other guys mentioned... 3inch PVC (thin walled PVC... it is much lighter), glue one cap on, padding in the bottom, wrap the bow and slide it in, add more padding and tape on the top cap.  I think I paid around $10 to get a 10foot stick of 3" PVC and the caps.  Shipping in US was about $13 at the post office. 

Offline kid bow

« Reply #4118 on: August 22, 2016, 03:08:35 am »
I'm finally sending mine off today. Work has slowed.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4119 on: August 22, 2016, 07:37:41 pm »
So what's the status on the trade overall? From my seat, it appeared to go well. Anybody still need to ship? I'm just curious.

Tattoo Dave

Rockford, MI

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #4120 on: August 22, 2016, 09:32:30 pm »
I still need to ship mine. I have the pipe and caps, just haven't had time to package it. Might get it done tomorrow.
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #4121 on: August 22, 2016, 10:30:43 pm »
Ok, I lied. The bow is now packaged.

If you all see something on the news like "Man brings suspicious tube into Oklahoma post office".
Its probably us... This thing looks like a giant pipe bomb.
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4122 on: August 22, 2016, 10:40:49 pm »
Here's the list I have of bows not received yet:

ajooter,  David Ewing,  dylanholderman,  Fred Arnold,  janderson,  kid bow,  pincushion,  Ryan C, stuckinthemud,  Timothy R,  Tower,  ty-in-ND,  Ranasp

Bows done and just shipped or ready to ship:

David Ewing,  Dakota Kid,  Drewster,  Fred Arnold,  hammertime,  kid bow,  Timothy R, 

Stuckinthemud,  ty-in-ND,   have been showing progress and posting.

The remainder are not staying in contact and haven't given us a clue. That leaves about 5 long shots we're counting on.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:56:04 am by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #4123 on: August 22, 2016, 10:55:26 pm »
Sorry I haven't been on here lately guys lots of bass fishing and school starting up and I got my license. Finally got a bow to come along. Little light but shoots fast. Just got some skins glued down.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4124 on: August 23, 2016, 02:35:55 am »
Mine will be finished next Monday I would suspect. I hope to deliver it in person over Labor Day weekend. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. She' drawing around 65# @28 and absolutely drives the boo into the foam. She wants to put a deer down I can tell.  It might be the best shooting bow I've made, top 3 for sure. I haven't had great success with black locust in the past, but I'm officially a convert. I'll be cutting a lot more soon. I'm glad I came around the stuff is everywhere.  Just trying to get her gussied up at this point. It takes a lot of tru oil to hide the grain of the cloth backing.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna