Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 675898 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #4140 on: August 26, 2016, 09:43:39 pm »
Wish I was seeing it up close and personal hammer...I'm sure your guy will be happy!

Offline kid bow

« Reply #4141 on: August 27, 2016, 10:06:00 am »
My bow was shipped Friday to its new owner. Should be there Monday night according to the post office
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4142 on: August 27, 2016, 10:50:16 am »
Looks like quite a few more bows in the mail.  Hopefully we are getting close to everyone receiving their trade bow.  Looking forward to seeing those bows in the hands of their new owners.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4143 on: August 27, 2016, 11:24:10 am »
Carving's done! 

Offline ajooter

« Reply #4144 on: August 27, 2016, 11:41:09 am »
That looks great mud!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4145 on: August 27, 2016, 11:57:56 am »
Just paint, oil and wax left to go, although there my well be a little tidying needed- first coat of paint often reveals small errors.  Finding an international carrier willing to take  a package over 150cm long is proving challenging.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #4146 on: August 27, 2016, 04:46:57 pm »
Stuck that carving is sweet!!!!

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #4147 on: August 28, 2016, 08:09:30 pm »
1st off, I apologize for the absence... I was in the process of getting the tiller squared away on the trilam when I discovered this:

Well, I'm not going to try to put a bandaid on this one.  I haven't tossed it yet, as I think I caught the crack soon enough that it shouldn't go all the way to the walnut.  I think I'll try sanding the old belly off and putting a new one on, but that will be a project for another time.

So, over the last week, I've been getting on more trilam together.  Here is where it's at now:

It's a little bit of an inverse of the 1st bow.  Instead of an osage belly with a walnut core, I'm using an ipe belly with an Argentine osage core!  The Argentine osage I bought a while back, but it really wasn't appropriate for using as a belly.  But, I'd read osage makes a good core and that Argentine osage is pretty close to American osage (and I really liked the way the osage and walnut looked together!).  I started off making the bow 1 1/4" from the fades for 6" then tapering to 1/2" tip.  It's 69" long this time, as I wanted to get a little less stress on the outer limbs.  I'll also be trying to be careful when I get to tillering the bow when it's at full brace.  I was looking at the pictures from the last bow and the tiller was looking good until I started the final tillering.  I think I ended up taking too much off of the last half of the limb and not enough from the 1st half.  This time around, I'll be sure to start scraping the inner limbs sooner, as I really want the full draw to look like a nice bend from the fade to about midlimb, then have the limb look straight from there to the tip (a good r/d full draw bend, in other words).

I'll be taking off a bit of wood tonight, as I pulled down an inch using the long string and the bow was already pulling 40 pounds!  I did leave the ipe a little thick (a hair thicker than 1/4"), so I'm not too surprised, given ipe's reputation.  Then, I'll get to tillering this bad boy seriously tomorrow!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline kid bow

« Reply #4148 on: August 29, 2016, 03:24:15 am »
That bow is mine right stuck!!!!  >:D  >:D >:D
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4149 on: August 29, 2016, 08:35:16 am »
OK, so paint gotta cure then I can post it, looks like Branwen is going to her new home on Wednesday

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4150 on: August 29, 2016, 08:51:25 am »
Ty that sucks. Been there done that. The good news is next time you do a glue up and you see a knot on the edge, you will know better.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #4151 on: August 29, 2016, 01:37:01 pm »
Yeah... The worst part is I didn't even uncover that knot until I was well on my way tillering. But, I will definitely be on the lookout for those sorts of things in the future!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4152 on: August 29, 2016, 01:46:44 pm »
1/4 sawn lumber can be both a blessing and a curse.   
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4153 on: August 29, 2016, 04:46:21 pm »
Looking good Andrew.  ;D

Here's my bow going out tomorrow morning USPS Priority mail.  >:D\
 Just to let you know she came in a tad under weight but shoots where you look. Seems to like 40-45# spine at 29" BOP, 125 gr up front.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #4154 on: August 29, 2016, 05:26:12 pm »
Looks great Fred! Haha

Someone should have a bow on their front porch tomorrow...
;)
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David