Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689471 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #4185 on: September 02, 2016, 08:52:04 am »
Congrats David!
You have persevered and it has paid off...for you by getting an awesome bow, and for your recipient by the sweet bow he will get...and for all of us who got to watch you go through this process and keep at it.
Way to go mister!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4186 on: September 02, 2016, 08:54:46 am »
Tyler, I can't say that there is anyone here that has put in more effort than what you have put forth. You've shown me a lot of character. Don't get down on yourself.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help but when you started tackling the trilams you stepped out of the realm of my limited experience.

As long as your guy is patient and I know he is you can take all the time you need to get this right.

It might be best to post this build and questions on a new topic where more guys with experience will see it.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #4187 on: September 02, 2016, 10:55:48 am »
Well, I'll give it some time, but I'm mostly certain the problem is the thickness of the ipe.  I had 0 problems with the last bow as far as the handle was concerned and used the same side dimensions as the last bow (straight for 6" then taper to 1/2" at the tip).  The difference between the 2 are that I really didn't do major work on the belly to get the weight down on the 1st bow.  This one... I could have started at 3/16" and I would have been fine (instead of 1/4" + a hair).

At least this early in, I'd hope this is a pretty fixable problem.  If I don't hear anything else, I might try to make a new topic. 

And don't worry, I'm not throwing in the towel!!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #4188 on: September 02, 2016, 11:37:08 am »
Ty I like laminated bows but I also only build mine with 3 lams. Use hickory bamboo for the back ipe core and Osage belly. Here is a pic of how my glue up is and I use smooth on epoxy.

See how the Osage comes up on the fades of the riser that keeps that riser from popping loose. That's my look at it

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #4189 on: September 02, 2016, 12:33:52 pm »
Ty, I've got faith in you. Anyone who has worked as hard as you have deserves a bow for the effort put forth. I know you'll persevere. and I also know your bow is on the way.

The only ones left out in this trade are a few who didn't participate. What you, David, and other new bow makers have gone through is what this trade is all about.

There may have been a few bumps in the road but I have to say that it's been a very honorable and rewarding experience for me personally to have been involved in this great trade.

You guys have been awesome!!! >>------> Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #4190 on: September 02, 2016, 12:41:07 pm »
Well, thanks for the kind words, Fred.  To be fair, everyone who completed a bow did some really great work.  I know you've said it, but I agree that I would be happy with any bow that's been made for this trade.  I just want to do as right as I can with you all, considering I'm already past the initial deadline and pushing past the 2nd deadline.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4191 on: September 02, 2016, 01:07:54 pm »
Hey Ty, having gone through something similar in this trade attempting my first take-down, I completely understand what you're going through.  I really admire your perseverance! Be like Dory (just keep swimming!! ;) )  Anyone trying as hard as you completely deserves their place in the Trade.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4192 on: September 02, 2016, 01:31:01 pm »
Got home from a marathon school-uniform shopping trip and guess what , its Hammertime!  The bow is amazing, thank you so much, I am totally thrilled, my gob gas never been so smacked! ;D This bow is gonna rack up some serious time this winter!

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #4193 on: September 02, 2016, 06:23:42 pm »
Hope it shoot great for you Stuck....the snake skin is from a friend North Dakota, hickory from a local cabinet maker and tips from a friend who use to make glass bows  glad it made it made it over the pond safely- Hammertime

Offline ajooter

« Reply #4194 on: September 02, 2016, 06:41:41 pm »
Your one lucky guy stuck!!  I want to ses some more pictures of that bow for sure!

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #4195 on: September 02, 2016, 06:49:30 pm »
 ;) Well guys it looks like this years trade is finally wrapping itself up.  :'(

I made some late changes and everyone who made a bow and shipped is going to get a bow.

Hopefully by next weekend Kid Bow and Dylan will have their new bows in hand. I expect they will both be happy with the outcome.

Of the remaining group who haven't shipped or received, one pair were already matched up and sending to one another and the second pair are now matched up and can work it out between themselves as to whether or not they want to finish the trade.

We did have an alternate in case problems arose but they haven't been active lately and if they still come through I will have a bow I made to ship to them.

All in all I'd say it was a remarkable effort on all of your part and hope to see you all again next year.

Respectfully,
Fred Arnold

Offline ajooter

« Reply #4196 on: September 02, 2016, 07:05:09 pm »
Thank you Fred...ya did a hell of a job.  I will start a seperate thread for my bow when i get time.  Thank you all.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #4197 on: September 02, 2016, 07:24:58 pm »
Aaron, when you start your new thread it would be nice if all of the guys posted their bows as a follow up so that we can view them all on one thread without having to go through almost 300 pages.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4198 on: September 02, 2016, 07:45:50 pm »
Aaron, when you start your new thread it would be nice if all of the guys posted their bows as a follow up so that we can view them all on one thread without having to go through almost 300 pages.

I agree. I want to see all these bows again.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4199 on: September 02, 2016, 09:20:09 pm »
Hey Ty,
I didn't see that handle before. Bummer man.
That is still a beautiful work and I wish I knew what to suggest.
I'll bet you can pull it off somehow  ;)