Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 680332 times)

Offline kid bow

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #4230 on: September 09, 2016, 09:44:59 pm »
I just recieved branwen. This thing is beyond amazing. The craftsmanship of it is beyond amazing. I'll get a few pictures up tomorrow. Stuck, my friend, don't let anyone tell you your work is anything less than amazing.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4231 on: September 09, 2016, 09:49:42 pm »
That's a heck of a sweet bow!! Nice work!

Kid, looking forward to seeing some pics.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #4232 on: September 09, 2016, 09:57:59 pm »
Does anyone know how many have not shipped yet? 
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4233 on: September 10, 2016, 01:28:48 am »
I am still waiting for mine.  I have actually been in contact with my guy, but I haven't heard from him for a while, so I don't know for sure what is up.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4234 on: September 10, 2016, 03:54:47 am »
Morning KB, hope she shoots well for you - I'm a lefty so apart from some flight shots, she hasn't been fully shot in yet  :).  Happy shootin!

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #4235 on: September 10, 2016, 04:34:56 pm »
Got a very nice hickory stick today. Man this this is a beauty!  I can't shot it or take any proper pics right now. But I'll get it done tomorrow. Very nice drewster. I'm very pleased with it!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Drewster

« Reply #4236 on: September 10, 2016, 09:10:17 pm »
Thanks Timothy.  I hope she will serve you well and be a treat to shoot.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #4237 on: September 12, 2016, 09:29:25 pm »
Well, I apologize for the delay.  I've been really scratching the good ol' head trying to figure this one out.

So here's how I rectified the handle: Instead of chopping the whole thing off, I reshaped the fades so that they went into the belly (kind of like if you were to glue on a handle section on a 3/4" stave/board).  I epoxied and clamped it back together, using some .004" brass to get epoxy all the way through the crack.

And here's how it looks afterwards:

Now here's my problem: the right limb is still not bending like the left limb when short braced:

I thought the problem was it was too stiff, but after a few rounds of scraping, the shape doesn't "flip" like the left limb (in fact, it doesn't look like it's changed much).  If I apply a little bit of downward pressure on the tip, the limb takes a shape that is more like the left limb.

On the plus side, the handle is staying firmly in place...
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #4238 on: September 12, 2016, 09:46:22 pm »
Ty show us the unstrung picture.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #4239 on: September 12, 2016, 10:02:01 pm »

This is a quick pic of the unbraced.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:10:58 pm by ty_in_ND »
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4240 on: September 12, 2016, 11:34:27 pm »
I wonder if going to a longer tillering string for a bit can help?   That much reflex is really hard to brace, and it will be easy to miss your target weight, in my experience with reflexed bows  I think the bet bet would be to post a separate thread and see what some of the others can say in help.  I think keeping the fade smoothly transitioning into the bending limb like you have it will be key to keeping it pop off.

See what others say.  Keep trying.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4241 on: September 13, 2016, 07:42:34 am »
I think it might need a shorter string - Branwen was reflexed and would not pull to shape at brace until a short enough string was put on to force the limb to bend in the right direction even though drawing her an inch or two did give her the correct shape - it might be that at the moment the limb can choose which way it wants to bend and so it is choosing to bend up not down - have you tried stepping on the string and pulling the centre of the bow upward to see what happens?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4242 on: September 13, 2016, 08:40:40 am »
Leave the left limb alone and strictly work the right limb until it is bending the same. Leave your string just barely slacked until you balance them out. Then twist it up more. The fact your unbraced bow still looks good, is a good thing.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4243 on: September 13, 2016, 09:13:17 am »
Appears to me your right limb may have a bit more reflex than the left.  In and of itself, that may not be an issue, but I would get them even as much as possible.  PEARL is right either way, get the right limb bending even with the left and leave the left alone until then.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #4244 on: September 13, 2016, 11:42:05 am »
Well, it's good to hear the bow is still in the realm of being a bow. I had a restless night, so I went down to the garage to scrape some wood off of it. No pics, but using a longer string, I could see the mid limb of the right limb is quite stiff. I think the reflex being uneven will solve itself once I tame that right limb. I will also stay away from the left limb.