Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 680283 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2016, 10:00:50 am »
I started last week in anticipation of a trade. I have a couple mulberry billets that I'm working on and an Osage character stave that I've got almost to floor tiller  they will both need some heat correction.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline half eye

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2016, 10:06:45 am »
Dont believe that for a new york minuet Fred.....I'm trying to decide between Eastern Woodland, Mollegabet, Penobscot or maybe a 5 curve.....man all this thinkin is gonna hurt my head >:D

AJ  A hand axe is the way to go for sure....but it dont work for one handed guys so I cheat and use a bandsaw for the rough outs then go to the hand tools. By the way that bow your working on looks like a fine specimen to me. By joining the trade ya talked yourself right into starting another one, eh?
That brings up the issue of: What are you making  >:D >:D

Timothy ya been holdin out bud, this is gonna be so cool
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2016, 10:35:11 am »
We've had a really mild winter here, too, Rich, but almost no snow either. I haven't plowed once yet, knock on elm. Guess there's a ways to go though.

Here's a big elm stave I've thought about for something special. I'm also torn between wanting to do ten different kinds of bows. I think this is what I'll use, though.

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ajooter

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2016, 11:10:18 am »
I don't know rich...gonna rough out two staves.  Try my hand at a recurve and another longbow of sorts.  I was really happy with the way that other hickory is coming out.   I still need to post pics of that Osage you coached me thru.  It came out really nice.

Offline half eye

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2016, 11:15:40 am »
Like I said before fellas, I'd rather have a bow from one of you than all the a-listers on the site. We are gonna have some fun cause of you guys that joined in and are workin hard.....man I love this stuff.

Plan B, Elm makes some screamin nasty bows ....cant wait to see yours bud.
rich

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2016, 11:17:00 am »
Progress already, looking good fellas! I have some dead standing ironwood I got from rich. I got it roughed out and need to heat some twist out of it. I tried yesterday, that stuff is named correctly that's for sure! Trying to bend the twist out is damn near impossible. I also have a hickory stave I started tillering last night.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2016, 11:21:35 am »
 ;) This is an invitational also. We asked for people to step up who wanted to try a bow and you have responded. I may have asked a few pointed questions but we haven't turned anyone away yet and don't plan on it if they will make a commitment. This is about learning and having fun.

TimothyR and PlanB those are both some fine looking wood you're working with.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JonW

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2016, 11:41:07 am »
Nice response so far guys. I didn't want to take away from the annual swap and it looks like it is going to flourish this year.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2016, 11:48:24 am »
If you guys get the chance post a photo of yourself. I don't have any good ones but at least you'll know what my mug looks like.
Last two are of my 2 sons and I next to a big cottonwood down by the creek bed.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2016, 11:51:21 am »
Fred - That Cottonwood's just beggin to be made into a burnt out canoe project!  Nice pix sir...

OneBow

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2016, 11:54:56 am »
I got a few staves picked out. It was hard deciding between a highly charactereed stave and letting it be what it wanta to be or a clean stave I can do as I please with. I went with clean this time for ease of making with how busy this spring and summer is starting to look. I picked out an ERC that will be either a mollegabet or recurve, a walnut that'll be a pyramid since I havmt done many of those, and a black locust that'll be a reflex  deflex. Ill mix and match staves between this and another trade for which will be the best to send to which recipient and the third will be the backup. I can't wait to get my names to get started. Now to start pounding sinew during the slow spells at work.

Kyle

Offline ajooter

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2016, 11:57:33 am »
All I have is hickory so I'm going to probably go with a bendy handle of sorts depending on my candidates draw and then a stiff handled flatbow or longbow for a backup.  I should hopefully have some progress pics up later.

Offline pincushin

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2016, 12:05:24 pm »
I'm thinking a lam bow rd molly osage belly wenge core bamboo back with purple heart statics

Offline DuBois

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2016, 12:37:25 pm »
Looks like everybody's gearin up!!

I'm pondering on my wood pile and will make some decisions on a couple of the best...but no hurry, right? HAHAHAHAHA  >:D >:D

That's what I thought last time and it came right down to the last week or 2 after a few failures and less than my best bows.

I'm thinking a lam bow rd molly osage belly wenge core bamboo back with purple heart statics

Hey Pin,
Like how you're keepin it simple  ;)

No really,
That should be awesome to see.

Offline pincushin

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2016, 12:44:21 pm »
Looks like everybody's gearin up!!

I'm pondering on my wood pile and will make some decisions on a couple of the best...but no hurry, right? HAHAHAHAHA  >:D >:D

That's what I thought last time and it came right down to the last week or 2 after a few failures and less than my best bows.

Hey Pin,
Like how you're keepin it simple  ;)

No really,
That should be awesome to see.

thanks "Doo Boys" I'm exited to see what you make too you have a unique style. >:D >:D