Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689432 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #645 on: January 30, 2016, 04:45:55 pm »
Mr Burchett,,  Likewise and thank you for the compliment.
 I've been pretty damned fortunate to have had Rich sign on and the rest is due too a whole darned good bunch of people that just wanted to build bows, have fun, and help this thing work. And that  is somewhat bloody blind luck more than vision.
 But being the bashful sort that I am I'm blushing with pride.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Loope

« Reply #646 on: January 30, 2016, 04:53:47 pm »
The red bud is pretty wide right now, approx 3 inches.  I think I can miss the big knots and maybe the small tearouts.  Thanks turtle for the advice on the tearouts.  However, it looks like the pin knots are going to be in the limb.  Are they small enough to almost ignore?  Treat like a knot and don't cut them, let the grain flow around them?

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #647 on: January 30, 2016, 05:00:59 pm »
Loope, the pic you just posted. If that knot runs straight down, no problem. If it angles into the belly closer to the center you may have to approach it differently. Can you post the belly shot?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #648 on: January 30, 2016, 05:10:37 pm »
Sinew job is all done. I did about how PatM did in the walk through at the top of the page. And I think it turned out well. Except for the grooves from wrapping it's almost perfectly smooth. It'll take no filling and minimal sanding to get it smooth. Both heating sessions took a lot of glue and moisture out of the sinew. I can't wait to see how it looks in a month. I have a few things I'll need to correct with the stave when it's done drying. One lever has about 30 degrees of twist. So I'll popp off the overlay and reglue it on in the same plane as the limbs. And the string lies on the edge of the handle but ill just leave that. Now to finish up a couple I had started then begin another.

Kyle

Offline Loope

« Reply #649 on: January 30, 2016, 05:17:49 pm »
Fred,

It is actually a cluster rather than a single large knot.  It looks like the largest angles in towards the middle, you can see the pin on the belly side.
I still need to try to layout the dimensions and see how much I can avoid.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #650 on: January 30, 2016, 05:27:31 pm »
I like the look of that red bud stave loope!  I don't think those tear outs look too substantial.  You can always back it with rawhide if you want a little insurance.  Im ordering a whole goat raw skin today to cut some rawhide strips.  I would happy to pass them along to anybody who needs them.
Ajooter

This handle is off the chart. Great job on it

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #651 on: January 30, 2016, 05:29:14 pm »
That is violated through at least a couple rings at the knot and it angles toward the center on the belly so it will need to remain in the pattern. You can use multiple methods to save it. My first choice would be to remove 2 more rings on the stave staying completely away from those knots (with the draw knife) and all the other knots too. You don't want anymore tear outs. If it's deep enough which it looks like it is you have plenty of wood to work with, ( but I don't have it in my hands to study the entire stave for other difficulties ).

Offline half eye

« Reply #652 on: January 30, 2016, 05:38:51 pm »
Damned coon-catcher, do you ever sleep man >:D The old guy is gettin wore out just thinkin about that.....maybe I need a nap ::) ::) ::) >:D
rich

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #653 on: January 30, 2016, 05:48:52 pm »
I don't even remember what sleep is. And I feel like I'm barely keeping with with some of these guys. I don't know if I've ever seen this much progress this quickly.

Kyle

Offline half eye

« Reply #654 on: January 30, 2016, 05:51:29 pm »
I hear ya.....kinda scared to get off the thread for food (or anything else) come back and 2 pages behind.....aint it great 8)

Offline Otter

« Reply #655 on: January 30, 2016, 05:56:34 pm »
Mr Burchett,
       I didn't even see your post first off.....these guys are animals bud. Everybody is doing great work and a hell of a lot of it too. This old man cant hardly keep up 8) 8) 8)
      You are sure right about the trade, Fred had a vision and damned if he aint pullin it off. I'm real proud to be with this group.....except maybe Otter.....he's lookin at Turtle real funny like >:D
rich

Yeah know this her otters from the buckeye state and we like to chew on Michigan's lol

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #656 on: January 30, 2016, 06:19:31 pm »
I've been having a tough time making weight. Can't say what it is to avoid clues, and I've run out of options and am on the verge of too much set. No string follow yet. The bow is otherwise my best performer so far. Fifty arrows through it and the unfinished blank is in the upper 170's w/10 gpp. Starting to finish it tonight, but if eight doesn't pan out after more shooting in, it will be a personal bow for me and on to good old....you guessed it......Plan B!

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline half eye

« Reply #657 on: January 30, 2016, 06:30:08 pm »
Plan B, just curious, but if it's shootin that fast, dont believe a few pounds really matters, especially if ya got the draw length ya want.....just sayin 8)
rich

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #658 on: January 30, 2016, 06:33:57 pm »
Hey guys I need some advice. I'm chasing another Osage stave and am a little concerned about this bug damage. It goes close to 1" in diagonally in the center of the limb about 13" from the tip. Is there any hope? Can I fill it with super glue?   I've got some two tone epoxy! 
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline ajooter

« Reply #659 on: January 30, 2016, 06:48:42 pm »
Tim....I would fill them with a thin glue and sawdust mixture...a sloppy paste of sorts.

B....I know you deflex ed the handle on that bow....did you flip the tips as well?