Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689533 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #660 on: January 30, 2016, 06:50:56 pm »
I've done a few with bug holes and just shot some super glue in and left that spot a little stiffer.

Kyle

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #661 on: January 30, 2016, 06:51:42 pm »
I'll see if I can find pics. I did one similar couple years ago. I made sure they were cleaned out by running a solid copper wire into the opening. I actually had it come out through another hole a couple of inches up the stave. I then filled the void with fine osage sanding dust and tamped and packed in in with the wire.Then saturated with Loctite 420.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:03:44 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #662 on: January 30, 2016, 06:57:22 pm »
Here's my sloppy shave horse. It use to actually be one till one day I got alittle mad a purchased this vice and junked the rest. Let's see every body else's

Offline ajooter

« Reply #663 on: January 30, 2016, 06:58:24 pm »
On a side note....and rich and Fred can scold me after....but I think some of us (including myself) may be trucking along a little fast...I just realized I haven't had two bow blanks worked out this fast ever....I'm thinking about letting my blanks sit for a couple days just to weigh them and monitor the weight loss if any.   I cut these a little over a year ago and they have been in the garage.  I have had them inside since the start of the trade.  I hear hickory likes to hang onto moisture.

All that being said I'm thrilled with how the trade is going so far and the level of commitment that is already being displayed by all the participants. 

Thanks again fred and rich for taking part in this!

Offline half eye

« Reply #664 on: January 30, 2016, 07:33:24 pm »
aj....you aint the only one havin fun ya know....all of the participants are a real inspiration to me and most everyone else.

Gutshot....here's a pic of my "horse" and vice

Otter, aint scared man....her's why.....I'm too small, too old, and aint got enough meat to make a snack. But here's the kicker nobody wants to eat something thats covered in POO >:D
rich

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #665 on: January 30, 2016, 07:36:54 pm »
I had other things that needed done today so no bow work. :(     
Wont have much time for bows until Thursday ( dang job  >:() but then I will have 6 days off. ;D
In the meantime I will keep checking in.

This is the horse/vice Otter and I use.  But alot of times istill prefer one like Rich's.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:42:53 pm by turtle »
Steve Bennett

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #666 on: January 30, 2016, 08:17:17 pm »
Rich I like back rest and all

Turtle, Otter yours to is nice too.

Ok I've got the twist out of this limb but it's kicking my butt. Should I try to straighten at #1 or 2 I'm gonna leave the crook coming out of the fade and the circles are pin knots. I'm using heat to straighten. What cha think. It's half time of the game so I've got 20 minutes lol

And if the pic comes back up of the Osage and tape measure I don't know why it's not my pic

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #667 on: January 30, 2016, 08:29:48 pm »
Gutshot......... I would probably straighten at #2 just to not stress the pins but thats just me.
Steve Bennett

Offline Otter

« Reply #668 on: January 30, 2016, 08:32:13 pm »

Otter, aint scared man....her's why.....I'm too small, too old, and aint got enough meat to make a snack. But here's the kicker nobody wants to eat something thats covered in POO

Lol yeah your right about the poo ... I hope to get busy again here soon... I might have to buy a new bandsaw blade mine feels sharp but wasn't liking that hhb ... Too fat to use ax lol

Offline half eye

« Reply #669 on: January 30, 2016, 08:43:17 pm »
Otter.
    I cut a bunch of ironwood....I get my blades from the local "industrial supply" waht works best for me is This: comes right off their tag when they make 'em up....NEO- length- 3/4--3Hook  I also use 1/2" 4 hook. My saw is real old and only 1 hp but I can cut most "half logs" up to about 6" depth.

Just what I use
rich

Offline Otter

« Reply #670 on: January 30, 2016, 09:03:42 pm »
Half eye,
 I have a old sears craftsmen and it only has a 1/2 horse motor .. 1/2" blade is the widest I can go, best place I found to get mine are at woodcrafter's ... I forget what the length is off the top of my head... Only paid 50 BUCKS for it ... I do have a 3/4 horse motor same rpm and a 1 1/2 horse that's faster horse just need different pully.

Offline Otter

« Reply #671 on: January 30, 2016, 09:08:01 pm »
Faster rpm lol the 1/2 horse will bind up especially if you get the stave in a little twist

Offline half eye

« Reply #672 on: January 30, 2016, 09:12:56 pm »
Thats the reason for using the "hook tooth and only 4 to the inch) the hook has a wider tooth set and the teeth will really help clear the kerf....it will actually be easier on your 1/2 horse. The blade stock they use is Lennox.....they do measure in feet and inches though and since I blocked mine the blades are 7 feet-9-1/2 inches They are big.....but they cost 16 dollars.
rich

Offline Otter

« Reply #673 on: January 30, 2016, 09:23:33 pm »
I'll try and see if I can find some of those blades thanks for the info half eye

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #674 on: January 30, 2016, 09:32:19 pm »
Ok here's my progress for the day. I actually got a lot done. It's to floor tiller and ready for the next stage. It's at 1 1/4" at the fades and 70" long. It's turning out nice. I'm going to to fill the hole with yeller wood and super glue and round the belly some and hope it holds. The last is the sister stave. I've got another 73" Osage stave to split and chase a ring on  but I'll do that Monday I'm going to church tomorrow so I probably won't get any bow work done.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%