Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 690214 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #780 on: February 02, 2016, 08:07:00 pm »
Lots of of great looking work getting done. Went to bed for a few hours today ( working nights) and when I get up I'm three pages behind.
Steve Bennett

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #781 on: February 02, 2016, 08:12:03 pm »
Mitch. I don't think you want to see those small critters on my wall. Every body has bigger deer than me. I do my own taxidermy thats why There up on the wall

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #782 on: February 02, 2016, 08:53:05 pm »
Mitch I like that thickness sander!

Dakota, Rich, I was kiddin' about the caviar. Think I'll "stick" with the straight skin glue.  :laugh: Dakota you were a brave man retrieving those used perch! :)
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline DuBois

« Reply #783 on: February 02, 2016, 09:03:58 pm »
Hey people,
I been away but now I'm back. Dang you guys are movin fast here!
I didn't get any scraping done but it was a needed experience gong back to the roots but that's another story.

Got 2 osage in the works and a lilac on reserve and 2 broken cameras so I wll get beter with a phone now  :)

Lot of great lookin work goin on here.

AWESOME!!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #784 on: February 02, 2016, 09:09:27 pm »
Started setting up to do some tip overlays...gonna use purple heart and some cow horn I got at the pet store.  I started out by slightly taking down the tip to accept the overlay.  Very important to keep it nice and flat.  I use the over lay with some sandpaper to do the final flattening.  I pretapered the horn to save myself some work.  Gonna glue up tonight....and I might get after them later for finishing.

Maybe some patience will prevail ay B?  I have very limited amounts!

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #785 on: February 02, 2016, 09:13:22 pm »
You're doing a fine job ajooter!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #786 on: February 02, 2016, 09:28:28 pm »
I like the dark finish you put on that first bow...can't wait to see it finished out.   That's my least favorite part is putting finish on a bow...takes too long!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #787 on: February 02, 2016, 09:36:30 pm »
Ajooter

Way to use your resources on getting cow horn. Hadn't thought of the pet store. Thanks I will check my local pet store out sometime and see what they got

Offline ajooter

« Reply #788 on: February 02, 2016, 09:49:15 pm »
Much cheaper then antler...DON'T buy that at the pet store!!  You will be broke...crazy how expensive that stuff is.  The only thing about horn and antler is it stinks to high heavens shaping and sanding it.  I wear a half face respirator with particulate cartridges.  Stuff is nasty!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #789 on: February 02, 2016, 10:54:13 pm »
Thanks PlanB - I went ahead and tried it out...didn't work too bad.  As gutshot warned me, it will be slow going.  It was!   :laugh:  I had to take just a tiny bit at a time and run it through several times at each thickness.  It did sand to a pretty good uniform thickness.  The backing is at 1/8".  I checked it in several places and they all read 1/8".  But, if you run your finger along the length you can feel some very very very slight dips or humps.  The core and belly are at 5/16".

Just have to figure out how I am going to taper the core lam...that will have to wait until tomorrow.  Looks like I will have time - another snow day - there ain't nothing moving until the wind goes down and the snow plows can get out.  There is a 5 foot drift across my driveway and even bigger ones on the streets!   :o

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline half eye

« Reply #790 on: February 03, 2016, 01:37:30 am »
Mr B, so was I ...just my wierd sense of humor sir.

Mitch, Are you aware that you can cut thickness tapers on a table saw? they will come out so you mayonly need 1 or 2 passed with your thickness sander.....or if ya use a finish (fine tooth) blade no sanding at all?  For what it is worth....we are gettin hammered up here as well we are falling freezing rain, snow, white-outs, and heavy wind all at the same time ...aint it great >:D

Mr. DuBois, dont even blink around these fellas....you'll miss something. This is outstanding 8) 8) 8)

Dakota, around these parts the old-timers (like me) would butter fry the eggs till semi crispy and the small kids ate those cause they taste pretty much like perch but the momma's KNEW for a fact wasn't no bones, the lady's really worry about that.

AJ, did you happen to see the hoofs? they sell them as well and they are hollow, triangular in section, and actually respond real well to reshape with steam....and there are as many colors as bone.
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #791 on: February 03, 2016, 07:49:35 am »
Rich I like a weird sense of humor! Mitch, along with  Rich"s suggestion of the table saw, one way of cutting long tapers is to temporarily attach the lam to another board that is much thicker and tapered, or padded out to the taper. then you can run both against a fence on the saw and/or sander, and separate afterward. Another way is a shooting board and plane.

Offline pincushin

« Reply #792 on: February 03, 2016, 09:52:22 am »
wow you guys are moving fast looking like the trade will be done by the start of summer

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #793 on: February 03, 2016, 10:52:16 am »
Some of you are way ahead of schedule and these bows are looking great. Keep up the good work.
I on the other hand along with many others are just getting the feel for things and slower from the starting gate.

I know that some have just gotten staves and need to catch up. For everyone still laying out their bows let's try to get started by this weekend.

As soon as I get my morning coffee down(yes, I slept in late) I'm going to try to clear a path to my outdoor work station through the snow. This blizzard left about 5" drifts just outside my back door.
I knew I should have installed that snow fence before winter.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline DC

« Reply #794 on: February 03, 2016, 11:27:36 am »
This is a tip made from a chew hoof. You have to rifle through the box to find the nicely colored ones but they turn out like agate. I use the corners of the hoof, it's thicker there. They stink like horn.