Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 690122 times)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #795 on: February 03, 2016, 11:39:37 am »
Plan A bow has turned out under draw weight after shooting @ min draw length, and don't want to send it. So out with the plan B stave (which is actually even nicer than Plan A was).

This one is wider (2-1/4" vs 1-5/8") and I'm going to line out for a 2" width. It looks absolutely clear so far, but haven't got the bark off yet. Plenty of length (81") to move things around on and about 4" reflex overall. Also black birch.

So back to square one!

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline sleek

« Reply #796 on: February 03, 2016, 11:44:06 am »
We all find ourselves back to square one. No matter if the last attempt was a success or failure, we always go back to the beginning. Feels like home after a while.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ajooter

« Reply #797 on: February 03, 2016, 11:59:17 am »
That tip looks great DC gonna have to try that!!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #798 on: February 03, 2016, 12:19:49 pm »
Persistence is the key to success PlanB.  Keep it going.  We've all been there.

Great looking tip overlay DC.  I'll have to keep my eyes open in the pet stores.  I have some extra deer antlers if anyone needs some pieces for overlays.  I'll be glad to share.  Send me a PM.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #799 on: February 03, 2016, 01:05:00 pm »
Well fellas here's my progress so far..... The award bow is finished and waiting for skins, This is the first of my 2 trade bows...ready for color and string fitting....also have the rawhide string twisted up for the quiver. So here is the first trade bow so far
rich

Offline Drewster

« Reply #800 on: February 03, 2016, 01:07:10 pm »
OH cool Rich.  Someone is going to be a "happy camper" with that bow!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #801 on: February 03, 2016, 01:13:04 pm »
Thanks Drew, sure hope so....my bows are pretty plain
rich

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #802 on: February 03, 2016, 01:27:15 pm »
DC - those tips look great.  I might have to give that a try!

Rich - cool looking bow.  Thanks for the suggestions!  I cut those lams on my band saw and was a little more conservative than I needed to be.  Next time I will cut them a little closer to what I need. :-[  Experience is a great teacher.

I like D. Kids idea on a new thread for questions about the bows.

Been out scooping snow all morning - no time for working on bows!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline jandersson

« Reply #803 on: February 03, 2016, 01:39:37 pm »
mwosborn:
I was looking at trilams last night and I saw most people tapered the core but no one said why. Why you taper the core?

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #804 on: February 03, 2016, 02:22:02 pm »
Wow Rich, thats one helluva piece of work there. Someone's gonna lose their mind when they get that. DC sweet tips, prolly gonna steal that idea too. Got my hackberry very close to long string tiller. Put er back in the caul last nite for another heat treatment.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #805 on: February 03, 2016, 02:25:29 pm »
Great, Rich! I envy whoever gets that Penobscot. I've always been curious about native bows from my region, and that design is and eastern Abenaki neighbor. It would be Cowasuck Abenaki, here. Are here any records of bows for them?

Sleek Drewster, thanks! (I'm actually glad to be building with everybody again. Might slow down just to enjoy it longer...)
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline willie

« Reply #806 on: February 03, 2016, 02:32:06 pm »
Nice lookin stave, planB. are you going to go with that natural reflex? it looks about as even as it gets.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #807 on: February 03, 2016, 03:10:55 pm »
Dakota, I am pondering your suggestion. Thank you!! We'll see how it goes down the stretch. It looks as though right now the questions have been answered if not by someone else then by me with what knowledge I have.

DC, fine looking tips!! Now to show my ignorance. Whats a chew hoof?

half eye, your work absolutely amazes me.

The top limb on this black walnut is 1" longer and I thought the tiller on the long string looked good. After 2 layers of sinew and 2 days the top limb is showing far more reflex than the bottom. Not sure what to do about it at this stage and will have to wait a few months to tell. Possibly it will surprise me and still work out with some scraping. Too late to do anything about it now unless one of you has a suggestion.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline DC

« Reply #808 on: February 03, 2016, 03:27:22 pm »
They are cow(I think) hooves that are cleaned up and sold at pet stores. If you have an indoor dog don't give it one of these. They stink real bad when you work them. They stink even worse after adog has chewed on them for a while.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #809 on: February 03, 2016, 03:53:08 pm »
Fred - that did take quite a bit of reflex didn't it!!

jandersson - I am new to trilams so most likely not the person to ask.  But, tapering the lam prior to glue up helps in the tillering process.  It is a bit like tillering before it is glued.  Those that make FG bows taper before glue up as there is no removing material afterwards.  I plan on tapering at a rate of about .003"/inch. (core only)

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch