Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 690217 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #825 on: February 03, 2016, 07:43:08 pm »
David E
      I met a guy named Greg last year at moontree get together he gave me this ruler I wish I had one to give you and every body else. So here is a pic maybe you can print a ruler off on paper then write everything else in. I use it on every bow I make. And you might be able to find it on the interweb. That pic is awful anybody who wants a good pic pm me with a email. Thanks

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #826 on: February 03, 2016, 07:50:20 pm »
Looks like Ferret's bow layout ruler. I have several that MoBow made available at 2014 MoJam. Yep, purty handy!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #827 on: February 03, 2016, 07:51:16 pm »
^^ That is really cool!

On the handle...  Should I just kind of round it off, or do a bunch of shaping? I don't think there isenough wood to do much with.

Thanks for the help. I'm going out in just a minute to lay out the limbs, I'll let you know what happens... :)
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #828 on: February 03, 2016, 07:56:36 pm »
Yep, Ferrets floppy rule. I copied one and keep misplacing it. A must have.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline half eye

« Reply #829 on: February 03, 2016, 08:01:28 pm »
David,  After you draw in your centerline.....measure 3/4" on @ side at the fades and 1/4" to 3/8" @ side at the tip and draw a straight line taper between the two of 'em.  I made that grip rough-out so you can smooth off the sides and then shape the fades as you go on to your limb thickness. You can then have the room to wrap the grip without it being too large....with or without an arrow rest. I know who who your building for so if ya get the chance look up some of his bows and get an idea what ya want to do from there....ok?

One more, the grip as is will not bend on a 100 pound bow they are deceptive
rich

Offline ajooter

« Reply #830 on: February 03, 2016, 08:03:51 pm »
Can't wait to get my hands on some hhb....gonna cut some thus year for sure!  Looks like that will make a nice bow David.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #831 on: February 03, 2016, 08:06:34 pm »
Half eye, did you say your bows are "pretty plain"?
I'll go with the pretty part anyway.

Gutshot: you lucky dog!! got a he stave to work on. Now don't you stay up too late messin with that thing!

I will never catch up with the progress here so I better just go from here.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #832 on: February 03, 2016, 08:09:57 pm »
Or is it David with the HHB from half eye?

Or both?

:-\ :-[

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #833 on: February 03, 2016, 08:14:03 pm »
Dubois
Osage from HE and by the looks of it I'm gonna have fun this weekend working it down. Already got a planB for this one and I hope planA and PlanB both work out. Yee-Haa

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #834 on: February 03, 2016, 08:19:28 pm »
Marco, you're doing fine. I have my give away bow sinewed because it takes so long to dry. My trade bow is not even laid out yet. Waiting for the weather to turn.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #835 on: February 03, 2016, 08:22:52 pm »
Ok every body talk to me should I take the knot out? it's at mid limb and I can keep my width. The side pic shows the knot isn't showing on the side but it will add 3/8" to the mid limb which I don't think will hurt. So whatcha think

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #836 on: February 03, 2016, 08:37:43 pm »
Knots on the edge are a p.i.t.a.  I would decide based upon the looks of the grain around the knot.  Is it pretty clean with no violations?  Is there good grain on the outside of the knot to the edge?  Generally, I like to leave them if this is the case.  Good luck with it either way!

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline half eye

« Reply #837 on: February 03, 2016, 08:39:59 pm »
gutshot, if that is osage I really aint comfortable saying....with Ironwood I'd leave it be. You got more experience with osage than I do. Probably your first instinct is probably the right one, just from experience.
rich

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #838 on: February 03, 2016, 08:46:24 pm »
By that I mean the Abenaki (like most NA tribes/bands) are lumped into a general pile without regard to any differentiation. There is also the matter of some specimens being attributed in error.....when the dust settles here I plan on doing more in-depth research.
rich
That's great Rich, I'd love to hear anything you find interesting when you do. As I understand it, the Sudbury bow might be the closest thing I can find, for the time being. A few weeks ago I found a very short video of it at the Harvard Peabody museum, but it's impossible to see the shape of it from that. Weird video angles and closeups.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #839 on: February 03, 2016, 08:59:35 pm »
Gutshot, only because you asked for "everybody" to say..... I'd leave it.  I'd figure more wood if it's there than if it isn't, and ther'll just be half a grain swirl left at the edge if taken out. But take anything I say with a grain of salt. Nah, a spoon full.
I love it when a plan B comes together....