Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689530 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #975 on: February 06, 2016, 10:42:11 am »
Rich, bow looks great. Fred pm me when moneys r needed for over sea's shipping. And everyone else, everything looks great.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline half eye

« Reply #976 on: February 06, 2016, 10:49:00 am »
Dave, Thanks man....for everything !!!!

Stix, Thank you also for your contribution as well.
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #977 on: February 06, 2016, 11:09:04 am »
 Rich,
          Very nice looking award bow, especially like the rawhide wrap on the skins near the tip...Lauren should be very happy...
                                                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #978 on: February 06, 2016, 11:15:17 am »
Thanks fellas, I'll get the bow sealed up and hope for the best.
rich

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #979 on: February 06, 2016, 11:42:19 am »
Rich....Award bow looks great to me.

Fred.... I'll chip in for shipping, just tell me when and where. I dont want anything in exchange.

Steve Bennett

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #980 on: February 06, 2016, 12:55:22 pm »
Man - I can't keep up with this thread!  Bows are already tillered out and ready for finish, more staves being dug out and split - lots going on!!  Bows are looking great. 

I worked a little bit this morning on my backup.  I got the lams ground down and the core lam tapered.  Made some posts to put in some deflex and reflex during glue up.  Clamped it down for a dry run.

Before I add glue and clamp it back down any suggestions?  Center post is 3", mid-limb is 2" and the end posts are 4 1/2".

Thanks...Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #981 on: February 06, 2016, 12:56:14 pm »
Rich that bow is awesome I'm sure she is going to shoot the fire out of it. She has been down here making more strings. I ask Lauren what leanth are you making she said a 12 stran 72" I said ok I guess we will have to make a bow to fit it some time. What a enjoyment!! I don't care if she makes 100 as long as there shorter than 72"lol

Offline half eye

« Reply #982 on: February 06, 2016, 01:09:34 pm »
MW, That looks pretty sweet.....when I was looking into Asiatic bows there a couple of Chineese Infantry bows that were that shape, allways thought they were pretty darned cool.

Gutshot, her string is about 48-50 inch with some left over >:D I sure hope the guess on the colors will suit her.

Turtle, thanks man, always like to get a youngster excited. One of the joys to an old man.
rich

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #983 on: February 06, 2016, 01:48:26 pm »
i'm a little worried about pushing my osage stave out to the draw length i need sense its so short :( so i decided to dig out another stave from my stash ;D

found a branch of Japanese yew that is 63in long.

looks fine till you see the side profile :o

so i'm going to build it backwards >:D got what is now going to be my back cleaned of all the chop marks and the profile roughed in. just need to find something back it now ;)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #984 on: February 06, 2016, 03:56:50 pm »
I got some help/advice from Hunterbob on this one. I used the grill heat the limb. I know what an idiot!lol. I didn't leave it in very long and it opened up a drying check. Bob said it would probably be ok. What do you guys think.  I really want to use this stave because it's absolutely beautiful with lots of character.  I'm not going to get to work much on the bows till Monday or Tuesday but I will get back at it as soon as I'm off and have no other obligations. Tanks Tim
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #985 on: February 06, 2016, 03:57:52 pm »
Just one more!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline half eye

« Reply #986 on: February 06, 2016, 04:09:27 pm »
TimothyR,
      Hunterbob told ya straight sir.......doesn't look like the check runs off of the bow, a little CA glue and light clamp pressure.....should be good to go........oh ya stay from the open flames too >:D >:D

Ya had to know that was coming , right? 8)
rich
PS: You may want to hear from some of the Osage guys, looks like it got toasted all the way around and since I dont heat treat I got no idea about that issue....or even if it is an issue.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:14:56 pm by half eye »

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #987 on: February 06, 2016, 05:00:53 pm »
David, mistake in my explanation. Don't rasp down to the yellow line, only to d and f.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #988 on: February 06, 2016, 05:08:52 pm »
Thanks everyone for your comments on the tiller.  It was very helpful.

Fred, you have a sharp eye.  The top limb right out of the fade is where the bow bent the last so. Think that needs to come around a little more.  I am going to work on it a bit more and see if I can bring that around. 

Rich, that bow looks great.  I am no help with the color scheme though.  I am color blind.  I will probably start work on plan b soon.  I would like to have a couple options to choose from to send out.  Maybe I can have a few ;D

Offline ajooter

« Reply #989 on: February 06, 2016, 05:12:22 pm »

Some people don't like using circles...but that's exactly what I was seeing when I did this.  I don't have rich's eye yet....mine art as "experienced ".  ;)