Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689224 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2016, 01:20:15 pm »
I'm definitelt ready. Stave is picked, Sinew shredded, just need specs to pick out out my shape. I can't fully decide between bendy handle for compactness or a stiff handle to show off more of the beautiful ERC heartwood. I'm thinking a stiff handle. But it will be a mollegabet. Any idea of how much snake skin sheds will help as a moisture barrier when glued on with TB3? I know a full snake skin helps but I have a pair of ball pythons and would like to include their sheds on the bow when finished.

Kyle

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2016, 01:38:23 pm »
It sounds like this is going well so far. Fred, I've got one stave at floor tiller, one bending to about 16" and one more roughed out. All bendy handles, cause those are the best ;)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2016, 01:42:05 pm »
Fellas,
    got me some ironwood cut down to near size so it can have a couple days to come up to temp and get rid of any ice.....cut out for a couple of Penobscot.....
    While waiting on the wood, I'm going to be making an eastern type quiver in the long fringe style. The skin is fawn hide that was tanned long ago (cant remember if brain or acid), plan to have the quiver faded color, with Iconography, and twisted raw-hide strap. Think it will turn out well, but wont look like one of the plains style.
    Here's some pics
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2016, 01:44:50 pm »
forgot toi say that the quiver is for the trade "incentive" system. Fred if ya get a chance let me know to send it to you or wait for ya to draw a name.
rich

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2016, 02:00:04 pm »
My profiles are already done on two of my liklies. I've got a couple mor staves hhb that i got from half eye.  I need to know if they are seasoned. But likely he had them a while before I got them.  I need to put a curl on my scrapers and I'm ready to go!  Just got to get the hang of it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:59:04 pm by TimothyR »
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2016, 02:11:31 pm »
This guys English is a bit too perfect for this old country boy but an an excellent example on how to finish off a scraper in case anyone besides myself has ever had that problem.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=sharpening+cabinet+scrapers&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2016, 02:36:16 pm »
I will be getting at it shortly.  Just needed to take care of a few honey-do things!

Pics will, of course, be in shortly as well.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Drewster

« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2016, 02:50:06 pm »
Oh man, this group is pumped.  This should be fun.  Glad we already have 18 signed up........hope we get 30.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2016, 02:59:09 pm »
That would be awesome Fred. Where in Nebraska are you located. I could possibly take a drive to pick up a stave.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2016, 03:14:46 pm »
I favor the open trade, because as it has been said enough times in the past, this trade typifies the best qualities of this community. 

To that end, I am offering up some Black Hills Gold as a trade "sweetener".  One pint of raw, unfiltered honey from my beehives and a big lump of beeswax.  Just shoot me a p.m. telling me where to send it and when.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2016, 03:26:42 pm »
My house and now.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2016, 03:28:54 pm »
Thanks for the offer to help. I just sent a message to, DuBois. I expect him to contact me about a meeting place soon to do some trading. I have many Osage staves but they are just too green. It is awesome to finally be in a group of like minded folks. Thanks for helping a brother out.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2016, 03:33:04 pm »
 8) Thanks JW. You're a good man!!!
Hey guys how about we do a drawing right after picking names from the hat for the winner on this one. Everybody can use beeswax and honey.

hedgehog, I'm in central Nebraska about 40 miles Northwest of Grand Island.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2016, 03:34:26 pm »
Just an update, I am working on the bow and taking pics, but I won't be able to post any pics until later. Rest assured that they will be uploaded later!

:D
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline half eye

« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2016, 04:00:13 pm »
Hey Timothy R.....That HHB is ready to work, sir. Cant say it's aged but it has been split for a year.

Sounds good Fred on the drawing
rich

PS: Fred, what about we see if we can get a few more new bowyers involved...maybe you fellas know some other guys who are committed and want to make a trade?