Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 675914 times)

Offline Loope

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1440 on: February 16, 2016, 11:17:55 pm »
mwosborn, to my amateur eyes, it looks like the left limb is slightly stiffer than the right and that the outer 1/3 of each limb looks a little stiff.  Hopefully more experienced comments than mine will come in :)

I got some new C-clamps large enough to fit my caul, re-steamed the redbud, and clamped it.  Was able to get the movement this time.  Will see tomorrow how it looks when it comes off the caul.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1441 on: February 16, 2016, 11:40:05 pm »
Mitch, I agree with Loope's assessment.  The outer limbs need your attention, but looking good at this point.  There isn't any set thickness that the limbs need to be.  Keep thinning them until you get the bending you need and keep exercising a lot between wood removal.

I haven't worked with hackberry, but the TBB suggests limb width at 1 7/8".  I would just keep thinning them and leave the width you have.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1442 on: February 17, 2016, 12:11:37 am »
+1, on what drewster said.  And I would get it to your full brace height before I go any further. Also, remember that your handle thickness is a good bit more than what it will be once it's shaped. You need to take that into account when setting your final brace height.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1443 on: February 17, 2016, 10:12:38 am »
Mitch that right limb looks dead nutz. The left limb is stiff off the fade.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1444 on: February 17, 2016, 01:38:14 pm »
Pearl Drums, Since Mitch has done this, centered or off centered bow on tree is something I'm confused about....

When you personally tiller your own bows, and assuming the limbs are the same length, do you offset the bow where it sets on a tree, and also offset where the tillering string attaches. Or do you personally center the bow, and string? Or is there some other way you do it? And if you don't make the limbs the same length, how do you set it in the tree?

I know different people do this different ways, and have different ways they favor, I was just wanting to know your way that you handle it.

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #1445 on: February 17, 2016, 01:47:05 pm »
spent a couple of hours in the 'shop and now my 2-piece take-down is a 3-piece, hope to post photos tomorrow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1446 on: February 17, 2016, 01:54:29 pm »
Pearl Drums, Since Mitch has done this, centered or off centered bow on tree is something I'm confused about....

When you personally tiller your own bows, and assuming the limbs are the same length, do you offset the bow where it sets on a tree, and also offset where the tillering string attaches. Or do you personally center the bow, and string? Or is there some other way you do it? And if you don't make the limbs the same length, how do you set it in the tree?

I know different people do this different ways, and have different ways they favor, I was just wanting to know your way that you handle it.

I do mine much differently than most. I have a 1 x 4 stick in a vice with grooves cut in for the string. Once the bow is at low brace after a good floor tiller I toss it up on my stick, on center. I get the limbs bending evenly and matched out to maybe 18-20" max. Then I do the rest by hand and feel. I don't use a tree at all, except for checking draw weight. Regardless of whether a guy centers it, offsets it or any other style, a flat spot is a flat spot. It will be there no matter where the handle is positioned on the block. Obtaining balance in the bow hand has to be done in hand, or on a tree holding the bow the same place your hand would. Unbalanced bows are easy to see in pictures and especially easy to feel in hand.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1447 on: February 17, 2016, 03:10:47 pm »
Thanks Pearl Drums, that's very helpful to me.

Is there a different tillering balance for a bow for a person who holds a bow more toward the top of the hand between the thumb and index finger with a more open hand than one who holds the grip hitting mainly lower in the hand?

If I send a bow in a trade is it possible it seems balanced for me but not somebody else because I don't know how they hold it? (I'm right at the point in tillering now and starting to shoot it where this is something I would like to understand.)

Thanks again for answering these questions.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1448 on: February 17, 2016, 03:42:58 pm »
Haven't been able to get a pic while drawing so took one on the tree. I'm about 3 pounds over and an inch short of draw in the pic. It feels close in my hand but just slightly off. That wonky limb is giving my eyes fits.
What do you guys see?

Steve Bennett

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1449 on: February 17, 2016, 04:11:13 pm »
Turtle. Your upper limthe fade out the the bump in the limb looks flat to me. But that's me. Half Eye or Fred might see something different

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1450 on: February 17, 2016, 04:19:55 pm »
Can you post an unbraced photo?

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1451 on: February 17, 2016, 04:34:02 pm »
Can you post an unbraced photo?

Patrick

Turtle. Your upper limthe fade out the the bump in the limb looks flat to me. But that's me. Half Eye or Fred might see something different

Yes,  I worked the fade to about 6 inches out after I posted the pics and it seems to be coming around better.
Steve Bennett

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1452 on: February 17, 2016, 05:03:04 pm »
I don't have a good eye for tiller. It may be a tad stiff from the handle out to the woopity doo but it looks like there is also a little more reflex at that point in the limb. Better for me to always ask anytime I build a bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1453 on: February 17, 2016, 05:15:35 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.  I will tiller on...slowly!   :laugh:

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline jandersson

« Reply #1454 on: February 17, 2016, 05:30:26 pm »
God day,
Finally got back to the bow after my birthday weekend. Got some bending done and started some tillering. Took some more reflex out and gave both limbs a more similar profile. I'm gonna get on it tonight again after I figure out how to get my scraper sharp.