Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 689356 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #4200 on: September 02, 2016, 10:04:06 pm »
This was my first bow trade and had a blast learned a lot and loved reading all 200+ pages of it. Heck I even got a bow trade with Rich out of the deal. And a few other trades with Dubois river cane for a Osage stave. Ajooter a Flemish string for raw hide. Jeffp51 can't remember what I sent but got a few obsidean points he knapped. And if I missed any one sorry. But thanks Fred for making this trade happen and thanks Mitch for the nice bow I recieved from the PA trade. Thanks to all that was involved.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #4201 on: September 02, 2016, 11:05:50 pm »
Congrats on a nice bow David and well done Fred!  Can't help but like osage.

Agree with all the posts on a well run and successful trade.  Enjoyed being a part of it.  Thank you to dylanholderman on a nice osage bow!  Looking forward to next year.

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #4202 on: September 03, 2016, 10:02:15 am »
My offering is out for delivery,  so keep an eye on your porches.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #4203 on: September 03, 2016, 05:28:07 pm »
Hey Ty,
I didn't see that handle before. Bummer man.
That is still a beautiful work and I wish I knew what to suggest.
I'll bet you can pull it off somehow  ;)
I'm pretty sure I will do the following: 1) Salvage what I can of the current handle 2) Sand the ipe down in the middle to match the thickness of the limbs 3) Reattach handle 4) Shape handle so that the shape going from the fade to the handle part Is concave instead of convex (ie more like the previous how's handle).

I wish I could see how that left limb was bending (that is, if the inner limb is bending way too much vs just a bad transition). I don't want to bend the limbs until the right limb is looking better, and now I can't bend the bow at all until I get the handle addressed.

Gutshot, if it comes to it, I'll make the handle section like on the picture you submitted. The guy who refined the design I'm copying states he doesn't have problems with his handles popping off, so it's not a design flaw.

As soon as the handle is reattached, I'll post more progress pics!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4204 on: September 03, 2016, 07:49:50 pm »
Ty,
I am like Fred, I don't have any experience with tri-lams, but I think your plan is sound.  I have only made one bow that was highly reflexed--a sinew backed juniper bow--but I had similar issues bracing it.  I think that is pretty common for highly reflexed bows, and it doesn't necessarily mean you are way out of tiller, it means it wasn't ready to brace--I think. Either that, or the glue line breaking exposed/caused a weakness that led to the unbalanced brace. Having a gradual transition at fade--keeping every thing smooth as you work through the tillering, should help, as will having a perfect glue line when you reattach the riser/handle will also be very important.

Good luck, and hang in there.  This is a challenging project, but I think you are going to succeed, and you will have a bow to be proud of.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4205 on: September 03, 2016, 07:52:21 pm »
This was my first bow trade and had a blast learned a lot and loved reading all 200+ pages of it. Heck I even got a bow trade with Rich out of the deal. And a few other trades with Dubois river cane for a Osage stave. Ajooter a Flemish string for raw hide. Jeffp51 can't remember what I sent but got a few obsidean points he knapped. And if I missed any one sorry. But thanks Fred for making this trade happen and thanks Mitch for the nice bow I recieved from the PA trade. Thanks to all that was involved.

Gut, you sent me some goat rawhide.  I backed my tradebow with it.  It turned out great.  Enjoy the points.  I hope they help you change your name to "Lungshot" or "Through the heartshot"

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4206 on: September 03, 2016, 07:58:12 pm »
I agree with Mr. Gut

Awesome job on the trade Fred!

THANK YOU!!

And lots of fun, good trades and lessons, and a bow on top of it all!

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4207 on: September 03, 2016, 09:09:27 pm »

Gut, you sent me some goat rawhide.  I backed my tradebow with it.  It turned out great.  Enjoy the points.  I hope they help you change your name to "Lungshot" or "Through the heartshot"

I agree.  It turned out GREAT.  That goat hide (along with the art work and yew bow) will be going in the woods with me in a couple of weeks. Archery opener is just around the corner.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4208 on: September 06, 2016, 08:28:36 am »
Branwen is on her way! Courier said between 1 and 3 days :)

Offline kid bow

« Reply #4209 on: September 06, 2016, 11:39:27 am »
Branwen is on her way! Courier said between 1 and 3 days :)

To my house right? Cause that's a beautiful and I mean beautiful bow.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4210 on: September 06, 2016, 11:41:29 am »
I could tell you but then I'd have to........ >:D

Offline kid bow

« Reply #4211 on: September 06, 2016, 11:45:53 am »
Lol I'll just pray and see how that leads me  ;D
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #4212 on: September 07, 2016, 01:39:38 pm »
Ready to ride.......look out on Saturday someone.

Drew - Boone, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4213 on: September 07, 2016, 06:03:17 pm »
Ty,
Saw this in another thread and thought it may be helpful to you with the handle popping off that tri-lam.  Just FYI
http://poorfolkbows.com/ipe1.htm

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #4214 on: September 07, 2016, 06:07:27 pm »
i think your mail carrier might object to such a large package >:D