Author Topic: Another Invitational 2016 Bow Trade...  (Read 126120 times)

Offline hunterbob

Re: Another Invitational 2016 Bow Trade...
« Reply #585 on: June 27, 2016, 06:21:05 pm »
Well update on my trade bow.  Got it all tillered out and shooting very nice came out a tad over 50 @ 28 . I just put about 25 or 30 shots through it . Now to thin the tips and work on the grip. I think someone will be well pleased with this bow. At least I hope so.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #586 on: June 27, 2016, 09:07:11 pm »
Bob,  I garonte they will be pleased! Especially from the pics you texted me.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #587 on: June 27, 2016, 09:35:59 pm »
Thanks patrick . I got some work done on the grip tonight also. Now to thin the tips a bit. And after about 50 shots today it is still standing straight and after it relaxes it goes back to a tad of reflex.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #588 on: June 27, 2016, 10:05:25 pm »
Thats exactly what you want in a bow buddy!

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #589 on: June 27, 2016, 11:29:43 pm »
Ok guy's,  I need a few different set of eyes to take a look at my trade bow.  I got a decent amount of work done on it. I think I have the bend pretty close. I need to thin down this fat lady some out towards the tips.  But other than that and the handle it's pretty much to final detentions. I'm at 50@25 right now. My plan is to make sure the bend is good and then add a inch or two of reflex. Then continue to about 55@28.
The upper limb has a couple of little wonky spots and it a little bit of "curve" to the upper limb. So I took every picture from both sides.
What do you guys think? Maybe just a touch out of the fade  on bottom limb. And some out at the tips is what I'm thinking. Thanks

Patrick

Bottom limb on left.

Bottom limb on right.

Bottom limb on right

Bottom limb on left

Full deaw right side

Full draw left side

Offline DuBois

« Reply #590 on: June 28, 2016, 08:31:56 am »
Hey Pat.
Frst pic upper looks stiff from past fade to tip but second pic it looks pretty darn good.
Lower seems stiff from shadow knuckle in first pic to tip.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #591 on: June 28, 2016, 08:32:58 am »
Bottom looks good, top is stiff mid way. IMO
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #592 on: June 28, 2016, 08:38:37 am »
Pat, I'd say I pretty much agree with you on where to take a little wood. It looks like the top is bending a touch more at the fade compared to te bottom limb, and it looks like they could both bend a bit more about where the door casing crosses the upper limb. It looking good.

I've got mine pulled back to 60# at 25". 2 more inches to go. But after getting it there I got the horn overlays glued up and narrowed down to about 3/8", narrowed the back a little, twisted up a string for it with 10 strands D97 and 2 strands B50, and gave it a good sanding with 220 grit. I'm ready to take it out and shoot it in some more and see where it ends up. I'm hoping. Between trapping the back, sanding, and shooting in, that it'llbring it back those extra couple inches. I havnt shot it since it had the fat 3/4" with nocks, I'm excited to see how it shoots now after cleaning it up a bit. See if the little thunk is gone now. Ill try to get a full draw pic today and see if it needs a touch up, I've got some extra poundage if I need to play with the tiller. It should be right about 60# and I'm happy if I can hit 50.

Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #593 on: June 28, 2016, 12:15:56 pm »
Cute shoes Patrick, I have the same pair :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #594 on: June 28, 2016, 12:33:21 pm »
I like the bend of lower limb Top seems just a tad stiff outer 2/3rds wish I had a pair of shoes like that.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JonW

« Reply #595 on: June 28, 2016, 12:33:58 pm »
Pat you can see the flat spot on the top limb in the braced pics. Middle of limb. You are VERY close.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #596 on: June 28, 2016, 12:44:29 pm »
Thanks a bunch fellas!
Pearl,  are you seeing about a 6in stiff spot in the full draw pic? About where the door frame meets the bow in the pics.
Right about there is a little propeller type dip. I too a tiller gizmo and ran it across there and it marked about a 4 inch spot right where that dip is.
I like my shoes but it's about time to throw them away.  :'(

I'll work on it so more in the next couple of days and see what happens.

Patrick

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #597 on: June 28, 2016, 12:53:19 pm »
Right near the middle of the limb, maybe a fuzz towards the fade. Same thing big Jon see's.

Be careful, when Crocs get smooth on the bottom they are like grease! I replace mine about twice a year.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #598 on: June 28, 2016, 01:31:51 pm »
Thanks Pearl! I'll work on that spot. I have a pencil mark on it but I haven't done anything with it because of the little prop spot.
I know what you mean about the crocks I have busted my but a couple of times!

Patrick

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #599 on: June 28, 2016, 01:39:18 pm »
Its so close man, a few scrapes or maybe some firm sanding and you are in there.