Author Topic: Take down limb draw weight  (Read 1530 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Take down limb draw weight
« on: February 11, 2016, 11:30:43 am »
Hi All,

I am making a hazel two part take down and I do not want to keep assembling/disassembling it until I reach long string stage. Should each limb strength be double draw weight, half draw weight or at draw weight when finally tillered

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Take down limb draw weight
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 11:34:14 am »
What?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 11:54:19 am »
   You hvae to have it assembled to measure the draw weight unless you have some special formula. I Know it can be done a few guys have done it but you really need to tiller the bow while it is assembled by removing wood.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 12:05:12 pm »
thought so but wondered if I clamped one end to the bench I could flex the limb and gauge how strong it was by bending it? That could let me know if I was getting close

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 12:22:32 pm »
Why not just put it together and leave it that way until it's tillered?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 02:09:16 pm »
Well, I split the bow a bit too soon so it is possible I could damage the joint as I finish getting the bow to floor tiller, also, working on a limb is easier than working on a bow >:D

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 02:36:41 pm »
Oh that is a difficult one.  Doable maybe but not the right way to do it.  Build another one and cut it after the tiller is complete and take a 100 or so shots.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 12:51:04 pm »
Now is a good time to get out some calipers and other tools, make an educated guess about length and thickness as they concern draw weight, and work the limbs to nearly identical dimensions.  Then assemble and longstring or floor tiller it.

This is what I do anyway, for a starting point.  I love it.  If you don't have calipers rig up some sort of spanner (like a couple of 4", 3 hole, flat metal brackets or even wooden slats, bolted together on each end using washers or nuts as spacers."  Make it 3" between the bolts and, say 3/4" high, and measure the limb with it as you work from tip to fade, until it slides down the whole limb.  If you get there and the bow is impossibly stiff, take out one of the washers and do it again.