Author Topic: Is BOM melting down?  (Read 44379 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Is BOM melting down?
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2016, 09:32:11 am »
Thanks, Steve.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2016, 09:52:44 am »
You're a good man Steve!  I just re-upped and submitted one.  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2016, 10:07:10 am »
Thanks Parnell!  Just sent you a PM. 

I sent Calendergirl a PM a few days ago asking if they were going to be at the Classic and if I could purchase a subscription there.  I haven't heard back yet.  My E-subscription runs out this summer.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2016, 10:40:34 am »
I always re-up two years at a time so my refried brain doesn't have one more thing to remember.

I didn't know that I signed up for two years, but I did, and will again in October when I come due.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2016, 10:44:16 am »
Once I got used to not having that $3 per month in my families income, it was okay.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2016, 11:44:35 am »
Wow. Where to start. I know I haven't posted a bow or really been on the bow forum for over a year. Mostly just flintknapping. I have posted bows on BOM in the past although they didn't win it was still a good experience. I try to vote as often as I remember too. Thanks for the email that remind us!!!!! Most all the good points have already been made. I need to be more active and have got back into the wood shop and am making some sawdust again. Hope to have some finished soon. Also BOM was one of the reasons that I started my subscription years ago, along with everything else the mag offers. Maybe some day I'll win but if not I'll keep trying. Keep up all the good work you all do, it doesn't go unnoticed!
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2016, 04:31:50 pm »
Let me try to sum some notes and add some suggestions. Some points would cause a change in the BOM rules. Maybe a voting page would be good    … don,t know.

Please post your bows, here should be as many bows as possible to vote on.
 Everyone who is interested in this category should definitely vote, it takes only a few minutes

1. you can take part at BOM with a bow posted on the PA forum in the specific month, not with older or newer bows. (Yes/No)

2. you can take part with as much bows you like, wether in the self bows or in the backed bows section. (Yes/No)

3. everyone can take part, no need to be a subscriber – but would be fine if so. This site is the mag's site and after all there are costs. Every subscriber helps the mag and this site! (Yes/No)

4. The 'prize' for the win is a needle (or medal, sticker, etc. ….) to stick on a hat or a vest.  Advantage is low cost and easy shipping. (Yes/No)

5. Only subscribers can get a prize. (Yes/No)

6. The voting time is the first and the second week of the following month, there should be a definite end of voting – let's say the 15th (Yes/No)

7. On the voting page should be a reminder pic (f/d), this makes it easier to decide. Like in former times. I know it's more work for Cip (+ volunteers) (Yes/No)

8. There should be a clear definition between self and backed bow category. Only bows with a strength adding backing is backed bow. Rawhide backing, snake or fish skin backing, feather backing belongs to the self bow category (the rules should be changed in this point, imo). (Yes/No)

9. For comparison it is best to take 4 profile pics of your bow: Back, Side, Braced, Drawn (Yes/No)

10. For those (Cip + helper(s)) who organize the BOM should be an appreciation every year or so.
Idea: the guy with the most BOM  wins is invited for a give away. (Yes/No)

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2016, 09:11:24 pm »
Thanks Steve for stepping up and lending Cip a hand.
I'd like to see BOM continue and see participation numbers go up. I see several guys on here that make good bows but never enter them. Its up to you to decide if you want to enter or not. just saying I'd like to see your bow in there no matter what you made. Having more entries to vote on each month would make it more interesting and you might be surprised to find out that someone appreciates your work enough to cast a vote for it. I haven't been entering to often lately but will continue to enter at least a few bows each year but hope to see some new guys enter their bows as well.
I also think the monthly feature in the magazine adds to the interest in the publication. I think it adds a common man attraction to the field of outdoor and hunting magazines that often only show features of so called professional hunters. Its interesting to see the talented work of regular people displayed and commented on in the pages of PA.
As far as requiring an individual to have a subscription to enter, personally I think it is a small price to pay and a good way to show appreciation to the ones who run the site that brings so many good people together to share a common interest.
I think we all get more than our money's worth from the website as well as the magazine.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2016, 10:04:41 pm »
Orrrr,,, how about if it's open to everybody, but if you don't have a subscription, it's just like viewing the site without one. You can read about your bow but can't look at the pictures?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline dantolin

« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2016, 10:46:15 am »
Hi.
I didn't find the time to read all posts, sorry. Read one here and other there...
But I think that BOM should continue.
The online subscription isn't expensive at all, I think it's worth it.
I don't know why so few people submits their bows to BOM contest.
Just my opinion
:) regards

Offline GB

« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2016, 01:23:14 pm »
I have to admit that I've ignored the BOM contest during the couple years that I've been on this forum.  Just the contest, not the superb bows that are posted on here, some of which deservedly end up winning the contest.  I've made about 30 bows, love making and shooting them, but honestly I'm still too intimidated to enter one in BOM yet.  But I'm glad that I've posted a few of them and getting good feedback on them is really gratifying.  A kind remark or some advice on how to make my next one better by the veteran bowyers on here goes a long way.
I had an E subscription but let it lapse, but I just subscribed to the hard copy.  Probably better, because sometimes I'd forget about the E-mag  ::)  That's the least I can do for a forum that I've learned so much from and that features the most incredible wooden bows I've ever seen.  Now I just have to remember to vote for BOM. :)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2016, 09:30:55 pm »
That is all you can really do, GB except contribute a few of those 30 bows or future bows you have built. Any bow that shoots is a lot better then one that won't.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Gordon

« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2016, 10:00:38 pm »
It's been years since I entered a BOM. I stopped entering because I found I enjoy making simple bows and focusing on refining my techniques to make my bows as close to my idea of perfect as possible. A pleasing line, a belly that mirrors the pitch and yaw of a back, a pair of gently curving string grooves that are perfect mirror images - these are what give me pleasure now a days.  But such nuances are difficult to capture in a photo and, frankly, aren't that important so I stopped entering. I'm sad that BOM seems to be slipping away. There are so many more bowyers on this site than when I started and the variety, creativity and quality of the bows is amazing. I won a number of BOM contests in the past and I was happy for it, but I love seeing the newer generation of bowyers taking our craft to heights that I couldn't  imagine when I began and being recognized for it. I expect there are a few other "old-timers" like me who have quit participating for their own reasons. But if entering bows in BOM can help this site in some small way, I'm happy to do it again and I encourage others who are in a similar place to do the same.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:13:04 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline GB

« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2016, 02:42:24 pm »
I'll enter the next one that I'm really happy with, Eddie.  It may be awhile  ::)
It's always a treat to see one of your bows on here, Gordon, whether it's for BOM or not.
I like Simon's idea of a small pin or button for BOM.  No idea on the cost to make those, but I'd think it would be less than a hat?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:50:46 pm by GB »
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2016, 05:06:52 pm »
Gordon, I don't think anyone has ever had a problem seeing your "eye candy". Please post some more.
Like you I have not posted a bow in awhile except for October, and then just because there wasn't enough bows posted. I'm into refining bows, also.
Lakeland, Florida