Author Topic: Is BOM melting down?  (Read 44036 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Is BOM melting down?
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2016, 05:16:48 am »
Thanks Steve for stepping up. I talked to Marie the other day and the crew is all supposed to be at the Classic, that might be a good time to discuss this face to face and see how they really feel about it and if the even care if it carries on or not, :-\  if not so be it but if so maybe we can get some of the kinks worked out in person.  ;) I am on here a lot and do a lot of business by email but still rather work out problems out face to face instead of email or on line chatter. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2016, 04:14:35 pm »
Thanks Steve for stepping up. I talked to Marie the other day and the crew is all supposed to be at the Classic, that might be a good time to discuss this face to face and see how they really feel about it and if the even care if it carries on or not, :-\  if not so be it but if so maybe we can get some of the kinks worked out in person.  ;) I am on here a lot and do a lot of business by email but still rather work out problems out face to face instead of email or on line chatter. ;)
 Pappy

Very good, Pappy.  You certainly have a point.  See you soon and in good form.
1’—>1’

Offline ajooter

« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2016, 07:32:11 pm »
I actually did read the majority of the posts.  A lot of good points made.  I do like Simon's idea of making the prize a pin instead of a hat.  Maybe make it a different pin every year.  Much more cost effective and easier to get out to the winners.

I'm on the fence about having to be a subscriber to enter BOM .   Part of me says it will get more people involved and promote the site more.  Say a nonsubscriber wins, it will promote their family members and counterparts to purchase magazines to view their success (although there are no more over the counter sales?...I used to get mine from tractor Supply before I subscribed).  On the hand I think it is a truly minor donation to actually subscribe to the magazine and support this community.

I love looking at the BOMS and I always vote.  I have no resentment towards repeat winners.  They build bows that deserve to be BOM.  I am a very competitive person...always have been.  I believe people should earn their place in this world in every facet...this includes being a Bowyer.  This being said....you guys better watch out cause I got a good one I'm entering in April!  ;)  (I may even fly wizaedgoat or pinecone to the east coast to photograph my bow, maybe bring Carson out to do the shirtless sky shot pose  ;D)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2016, 07:55:30 pm »
ajooter, I'm looking forward to seeing your bow and glad to see some new blood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2016, 05:49:38 am »
Just bear with us , I think this is all going to work out. I know it is hard sometimes but try and keep a good attitude about it /some very good suggestions here  and I think the powers to be are ready for a change to get it back on track. Its a lot of work for those that take care of this and if they don't stay enthused about it, it all falls apart and I think that is what has happened of the last few years, burn out or just not really having the time to devote to it. Hopefully that will change soon so bear with us and then post them bows. ;) :) :) :) Thanks for all your input it has been a big help and I think opened a few eyes to the problems. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2016, 07:19:24 am »
That is good news on a Friday morning, Pappy. :)
1’—>1’

Offline Weylin

« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2016, 11:43:47 pm »
I'm glad to see this is taking an encouraging and proactive turn. Thank you, Steve, for stepping up and helping out. I'm sure that will make a huge difference. And thank you, Pappy, for speaking up with the magazine folks and helping to make some changes. If we all just work together to encourage forum members to enter their bows, that should help too. It would be a shame to lose the contest. I know it's the first thing I flip to in the magazine when I open it, whether I'm in it or not.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2016, 11:10:01 am »
Thank you Parnell and Pappy

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2016, 02:53:00 pm »
I have not kept up with this conversation, but did have some thoughts on this since reading the first couple pages awhile back. Forgive me if this idea has already been brought up. 

What about two classes of BOM contest, a Professional and an Amateur?  The idea being that those who have already won their share, would not feel obligated to step back from the contest, and those that are new to bow-making would not face daunting competition and would be more likely to enter.  We would have to self determine whether or not we are amateur or professional, but I would suggest that a guiding criteria could be around making bows for sale, or if we needed a harder line, we could use criteria of have you been invited to the PA invitational bow trade.  I imagine that it would sort out pretty well though just letting folks just decide for themselves.

The drawbacks of this would be that it would require some more work from the folks that are doing all of the work to make BOM contest happen, and of course, if it does not lead to more entries, then we would have even less entries per category.

I personally love the BOM contest. That really set the hook for me when I opened up my first copy of PA magazine. Thanks to all of those that help make it happen.

I also like Simson's idea of a pin.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bubby

« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2016, 04:09:25 pm »
Not a bad thought Carson, I like the pin idea as well, can artach them to quivers or possible bags
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2016, 09:14:39 pm »
Carson, I like the pins, also. I think seeing someone's very first bow along side of a 4 or 5 time winner gives a good perspective for a new Bowyer to shoot for and "up" his/her game. I think anybody that has the gumption to post a bow knowing it might not stand a chance of being picked,(I purposely did not say win), says a lot for that person and trying to get better at their new addiction. I think that once you make a bow that shoots, you've figured out the hard part. After that you just learn how to tune them, make different styles, pretty them up and learn better photography skills.

And, I think you are right, it's hard enough for someone to do BOM on a regular basis while juggling Family and job to start another category.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2016, 02:31:39 pm »
Ok, I voted on the most recent BOM.  Is it all better now?  And just in case this isn't all about me, did we see better turn out for the vote?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2016, 05:37:34 pm »
Yes we did jw 174 compaired to the last time i entered wgere there was like 62 votes
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2016, 06:28:27 pm »
I entered my Survivor bow in the April backed BOM I really don't expect to win but I'm proud of my bow and wouldn't want to go up against anything but the best they can throw at it. I'm gonna keep on working on them, I've learned so much already. It's nice to have people that really don't know anything about bows tell you your bow is beautiful but it feel a thousand times better hearing the guys on here tell you it's nice.
PS I like the pin idea too
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2016, 12:56:05 pm »
Yes we did jw 174 compaired to the last time i entered wgere there was like 62 votes

;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.