Author Topic: Sharp hooks ( a how to and lots of argument as to their merits )  (Read 29419 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: Sharp hooks
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 04:46:57 pm »
 I quit posting bows about 12 years ago when I added the third job.  I don't often get bows done, pictures taken, emailed off my phone, uploaded, and then here.  I'm almost always on mobile at the hospital between patients when I post, or I wouldn't have time.  I have a kid in a wheelchair, a wife and oldest daughter with severe anxiety and depressions, and another daughter who is autistic.   My last two week paycheck had 118 hours on it, 38 of which are overnight call.   I also worked 36 more hours on my tree service, so I am simply not making as many bows as I did the first 10-12 years. Sorry I couldn't fit my bowmaking and picture posting into your time-frame.   I like helping new guys, so I show up to do that. 

I have to admit that I do ruin a lot of bows, because I tend to mess and mess with them until I break them, or push them to the limits, and I don't mind when it happens. Owning a stack of bows isn't my motivation.  But, I was there back on the Leatherwall, when Badger and a few other guys on here started making bows, many years ago.  Just because I'm "new" to you........

I don't hear or feel your "due respect", despite my agreeing with you and having supported your opinions far more often than not.  Part of your self-assessment is pretty accurate, but while you might be curious, that's not your primary motivation.   However, I've got several bows in the works that I just might finish in the next little while, in several different representative styles it happens.  So, your subtle cyber-bullying just might pay off.

mikekeswick

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 03:03:17 am »
Just to add to the fun. I never strap mine and I only steam them, with great success. I make the entire bend in one shot as well. So there, that is exactly 100% opposite of what they told you as a method.

Good luck to you matey. You carry on doing what you are doing.
What I actually said was 'to get the sharpest hooks'......we all know that anybody can bend a recurve without straps boiling etc but to get the very tightest curves steam alone will not get you there. If you never try something (straps/boiling) how can you know what you are talking about....but of course I will bow down to your clearly superior knowledge on the subject.
Photos or it never happened is playground talk and for you to raise that point is imo disrespectful and childish.
Springbuck - Well said.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 06:14:44 am »
Thanks you for the knowledge compliment Mike, it means nothing coming from you.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 10:28:51 am »
What is this, a GOP debate?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 10:58:19 am »
YAAAARGH! I likes to boil me hooks💀

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 11:03:56 am »
Hey mike, are you still up for that personal bow trade? I couldnt reach you when you closed your last user name out. If not thats ok im fine just let me know.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 11:04:34 am »
Crap bryce, thats over 90 degrees!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 12:12:22 pm »
Sweet books on that one Bryce. 😎 Loving it

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 06:38:37 pm »
50# at 26" for a 45" bow with a max 35" working section. Good luck with that. While you're at it, buy some lottery tickets too. Seems to me you're more likely to pull the latter of.
In principle, this is possible. Heck, look at horn bows. but these bows have strains of 4-5% for a 3 cm wide working limb that's 2 cm thick. To reduce strain in osage to 1.1% you'd need a limb not thicker than (I'm guesstimating) 7 mm for a 26" draw, and to get your draw weight you'd need limbs that are >10 cm or so wide. Which is not what you have in store I guess.

But I'd like you to prove me wrong!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 08:38:36 pm »
This is around 70 degrees just steaming BL.No strapping/No boiling it either/No splicing or kerfing.Enough for me and the limbs too.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 08:39:18 pm »
ooops.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 09:04:08 pm »
Steam and nothing else. Had to actually open it up a bit and it curled up again past what this picture shows.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 09:17:48 pm »
Pending on bow length and draw length you may have to cut some length off of those hooks........the main thing is having the string lift off the limb at about one or two inches from full draw..... anything else is wasted weight/mass.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 09:27:10 pm »
Pending on bow length and draw length you may have to cut some length off of those hooks........the main thing is having the string lift off the limb at about one or two inches from full draw..... anything else is wasted weight/mass.
DBar

Has this ever been proven?

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 09:34:16 pm »
YAAAARGH! I likes to boil me hooks💀

If you put a barb on that you could catch fish ;D